PDA

View Full Version : Threaded barrels are AWs?

Sparky
04-10-2006, 11:50 PM
My question is as follows... I am building a sporter conversion rifle and have removed the flash suppressor from my upper and replaced it with a Izzy brake compensator. Also the bayonet lug is present on the barrel being it is pre ban.
Of course the pistol grip is removed so I may keep the mag detachable.
Have I crossed the line with this build. Thanks.

blacklisted
04-10-2006, 11:55 PM
You're fine, as long as it's an off-list lower. Bayonet lugs and threaded barrels don't matter in the California ban.

shopkeep
04-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Threaded Rifle Barrel and Bayonette Lug are fine due to Sunset of the fed ban. Go to town bro!

Surveyor
04-11-2006, 8:10 AM
You're fine, as long as it's an off-list lower. Bayonet lugs and threaded barrels don't matter in the California ban.

On rifles, they are irrelevant. On pistols, they are an illegal feature. Bayonet lugs were never a state thing, only federal.

PistolKidd
04-11-2006, 10:49 PM
My question is as follows... I am building a sporter conversion rifle and have removed the flash suppressor from my upper and replaced it with a Izzy brake compensator. Also the bayonet lug is present on the barrel being it is pre ban.
Of course the pistol grip is removed so I may keep the mag detachable.
Have I crossed the line with this build. Thanks.

Also, there are rules about having short barrels. Your barrel needs to be at least 16 inches in length. The ATF allows you to have any length short barrel so long as you permanently attach some device to make the overall barrel length 16 or more inches.

seriously, if you're not sure of the laws, read up some more and come back with any more questions. having a short barrel rifle without ATF approval is a big no-no..

NeoWeird
04-11-2006, 10:57 PM
As long as it is the Izzy muzzle break and not the Izzy flash suppressor you are ok.

xenophobe
04-12-2006, 12:30 AM
In California, threaded barrels are only relevant and banned on handguns... not long guns.

ohsmily
04-12-2006, 10:30 AM
As long as it is the Izzy muzzle break and not the Izzy flash suppressor you are ok.

What broke? Oh you mean a BRAKE not a BREAK...:rolleyes:

Jarhead4
04-12-2006, 1:23 PM
I just read this in the Penal Code. However, I don't know if you have a muzzle break on the barrel if that would make a difference.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
forward handgrip, or silencer.

Jarhead4
04-12-2006, 1:26 PM
What broke? Oh you mean a BRAKE not a BREAK...:rolleyes:

Damn it Jim, I'm and Engineer not an English Teacher!!!

ohsmily
04-12-2006, 1:33 PM
I just read this in the Penal Code. However, I don't know if you have a muzzle break on the barrel if that would make a difference.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
forward handgrip, or silencer.

Don't take a partial excerpt like that. View the whole thing and you will see why you are incorrect.
a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

NOTICE that the provision you included applies to PISTOLS, not rifles. You have to read more carefully....notice the change in subsection!!!.

(and it is a BRAKE not a BREAK!!...is your barrel broken or does it have a brake to reduce recoil...? get it??)

Jarhead4
04-12-2006, 4:07 PM
NOTICE that the provision you included applies to PISTOLS, not rifles. You have to read more carefully....notice the change in subsection!!!.

Good Catch!!! But you could use a little more tact. You don't have be an ***** everyday of you life.

ohsmily
04-12-2006, 4:16 PM
Good Catch!!! But you could use a little more tact. You don't have be an ***** everyday of you life.

Oh, should I tiptoe around your shortcomings and make you feel better?

All I said it that you need to read more carefully, and you SHOULD! I wasn't even particularly abrasive.

I am sure there are at least a few people if not more who read what you posted and now believe that a threaded barrel on a rifle makes it an assault weapon. Some might see the correction I posted, but others might not. Creating myths and spreading misinformation regarding gun laws can be detrimental.

Jarhead4
04-12-2006, 4:19 PM

All I said it that you need to read more carefully, and you SHOULD! I wasn't even particularly abrasive.

I am sure there are at least a few people if not more who read what you posted and now believe that a threaded barrel on a rifle makes it an assault weapon. Some might see the correction I posted, but others might not. Creating myths and spreading misinformation regarding gun laws can be detrimental.
Obviously you don't understand the meaning of tact. But good catch on the listing.

Surveyor
04-12-2006, 4:29 PM

Why do you call yourself "Ohsmily" when you're always such a grouchy kid?

How about "Ohgrumpy" instead? :rolleyes:

ohsmily
04-12-2006, 4:38 PM
Why do you call yourself "Ohsmily" when you're always such a grouchy kid?

How about "Ohgrumpy" instead? :rolleyes:

perhaps I should consider a name change... ;)

bear308
04-12-2006, 4:50 PM
I am sure there are at least a few people, if not more, who read what you posted and now believe that a threaded barrel on a rifle makes it an assault weapon. Some might see the correction I posted, but others might not. Creating myths and spreading misinformation regarding gun laws can be detrimental.

Shouldn't it be like this?

ohsmily
04-12-2006, 5:03 PM
Shouldn't it be like this?

Yes, it should.:D Any other critiques?

bear308
04-12-2006, 5:57 PM
No, I think that is all.

NeoWeird
04-12-2006, 7:57 PM

There should be a space after your period, and you should never start a sentence with a smile.

Just kidding.

Geez, take it easy. We're all gun lovin' nuts around here; can't we all just get along and make the gun-haters wet their panties with our massive collections of constituionally protected yet taboo home defense systems?

C.G.
04-12-2006, 8:05 PM

For a jarhead you certainly seem overly sensitive and the above is not exactly tactful, either.:rolleyes:

NeoWeird
04-12-2006, 8:12 PM
For a jarhead you certainly seem overly sensitive and the above is not exactly tactful, either.:rolleyes:

...I know you are but what am I? :confused:

C.G.
04-12-2006, 8:20 PM
...I know you are but what am I? :confused:

NeoWeird?:confused: I do better on multiple choice.:D