PDA

View Full Version : Registering an existing AW as a .50?

Questor
04-10-2006, 7:23 PM
Hello, I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I have really enjoyed referencing a forum where CA questions don't get answered with "why don't you just leave that commie state", but so far I have always found my answers in existing posts. This may be answered in an existing post, but here on 04-10-06 I am getting in a considerable panic about the registration deadline for .50s. Did I mention I am starting to get very nervous about getting my registration form for my .50s in on time? The only question still delaying me is whether I should include my AR lower which I registered as either .223, or "multi caliber" AW (I can't remember which) back in '99. When they say "you do not have to re-register your registered assault weapon" does that mean, even if you might someday want to purchase a .50 upper for it? or if that is the case do you need to re-register it as a .50 at this time? Any advice on this would be really helpful. Thank you for the great calguns forum.

Questor.

ohsmily
04-10-2006, 8:12 PM
You do not need to "re-register" your registered assault weapon in order to put a 50BMG upper on it.

Rumpled
04-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Relax, you're good if it's already registered.
Check the DOJ .50 BMG if you need more verification.

Now, worry about your taxes that are due even sooner.

Jarhead4
04-11-2006, 9:04 PM
Ok I have a stupid question. If the Off list Receivers get added to the liste, and we list them a multi caliber. Could we make them a .50 BMG?

blkA4alb
04-11-2006, 9:36 PM
Ok I have a stupid question. If the Off list Receivers get added to the liste, and we list them a multi caliber. Could we make them a .50 BMG?
no way, yes you can register them as multi caliber, you can put any caliber upper on them except the 50BMG.

Jarhead4
04-12-2006, 4:05 PM
no way, yes you can register them as multi caliber, you can put any caliber upper on them except the 50BMG.
I think you are right, but they listed on their FAQ that you do not have to re-register if it is already registered as an AW. It sounds like a catch 22.

blkA4alb
04-12-2006, 5:32 PM
I think you are right, but they listed on their FAQ that you do not have to re-register if it is already registered as an AW. It sounds like a catch 22.
Meaning if it is an AW NOW, not when these get listed. if you already have it registered as an AW that means you obvously had it before the 50 ban came to being so you can put the 50BMG upper on it. Understand?

Jarhead4
04-13-2006, 4:10 AM
Meaning if it is an AW NOW, not when these get listed. if you already have it registered as an AW that means you obvously had it before the 50 ban came to being so you can put the 50BMG upper on it. Understand?

Ok I guess you donít under stand my argument. If you donít have to re-register you AW for the .50BMG, then that implies that they are equivalent. So by adding the off list receivers to the AW list you are also adding them to the .50BMG listing.

jmlivingston
04-13-2006, 5:35 AM
This one has been real murky, it will probably take a legal challenge to settle it. I've read good arguements here that go both ways.

John

bwiese
04-13-2006, 8:08 AM
It's easy to read in the actual law, and is perfectly clear. Here's how it goes...

For AWs already registered as such (i.e. end of 2000 or up to 1/23/01 for the 'Kasler gap'), you can add the 50BMG attribute no problem, no separate registration.

Even if/when your off-list lowers became declared assault weapons they'd not be eligible for 50BMG attribute, as there were earlier cutoff dates coded into the law:

12285(g)
(1) Any person who registered a firearm as an assault weapon pursuant to the provisions of law in effect prior to January 1, 2000, where the assault weapon is thereafter defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Section 12276.1, shall be deemed to have registered the weapon for purposes of this chapter and shall not be required to reregister the weapon pursuant to this section.
(2) Any person who legally registered a firearm as an assault weapon pursuant to the provisions of law in effect prior to January 1, 2005, where the assault weapon is thereafter defined as a .50 caliber BMG rifle pursuant to Section 12278, shall be deemed to have registered the weapon for purposes of this chapter and shall not be required to reregister the weapon pursuant to this section.

knight_dive
04-18-2006, 1:03 PM
Does that legal code translate as "in accordance with laws prior to Jan. 1, 2000" or as "registered prior to Jan. 1, 2000"? The way its written it could go either way.

ohsmily
04-18-2006, 1:12 PM
Ok I guess you donít under stand my argument. If you donít have to re-register you AW for the .50BMG, then that implies that they are equivalent. So by adding the off list receivers to the AW list you are also adding them to the .50BMG listing.

No, it does not imply that they are equivalent. Fallacious logic.

Read Bill's post (about 2 posts back) and read the law and don't try and draw your own attenuated conclusions based on faulty logic.