LOW2000
04-10-2006, 7:04 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=229196

Josh
04-10-2006, 7:08 PM
um, explain please how this is "huge"

linuxgunner
04-10-2006, 7:14 PM
Nice idea, but I think it will not do any good. None of that will protect you from being arrested if the officer wants to arrest you. Then it's up to a prosecutor to decide what to do, and clever tricks like this will make your situation WORSE. The best defense with a prosecutor would be to say, "I won't argue with you about the facts, but I knew that ___ crime occured just down the street and I was worried about the same thing happening to me. I have a clean record. How can we resolve this?" If you have help from a lawyer I doubt there will be a major problem.

But if you come up with some BS like "I was going fishing", that will make things worse at every step, from the officer, to the prosecutor, and onwards.

LOW2000
04-10-2006, 7:17 PM
um, explain please how this is "huge"

Because with a fishing license and a fishing pole in your trunk, you could pretty much drive around with a loaded gun in the car with you.

shopkeep
04-10-2006, 7:42 PM
The only thing "huge" about this is how "huge" your spare time is to be picking over the penal code for stuff like this. Bottom line: you carry a handgun in CA be prepared to go to jail, sometimes even if you do have a permit. I spoke to a cop one time who arressted a CCW holder because he had "never heard of or seen a CCW" and suspected that the permit holder was "making it up". Ahhhh only in the PRK.

JS-M1A
04-10-2006, 7:49 PM
The only thing "huge" about this is how "huge" your spare time is to be picking over the penal code for stuff like this. Bottom line: you carry a handgun in CA be prepared to go to jail, sometimes even if you do have a permit. I spoke to a cop one time who arressted a CCW holder because he had "never heard of or seen a CCW" and suspected that the permit holder was "making it up". Ahhhh only in the PRK.
That in itself is scary.

LOW2000
04-10-2006, 7:53 PM
The cop should have then either lost his job and never been able to be a cop again, have been heavily fined, or been imprisoned for that.

Too harsh you say?

Have you heard this line before? "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

The blade should cut both ways. If someone carried because "they didn't know it was illegal" they would suffer some or all of the above penalties.

Jeff Rambo
04-10-2006, 8:15 PM
I spoke to a cop one time who arressted a CCW holder because he had "never heard of or seen a CCW" and suspected that the permit holder was "making it up".

Unless he had more than 10 years on, I call BS on that. If he did not know what a CCW was, that would mean he did not pass one of the required learning domain tests in the academy that has been apart of the POST curriculum for at least 10 years. Even then, I find it hard to believe that any modern-day law enforcement officer employed by any municipal agency and most specialized agencies would not know what a CCW is.

socalguns
04-10-2006, 8:40 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=229196

Please don't merely link to some post on another forum,
especially such a short one.

This is the law

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.htm

(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.

You can't carry loaded in a car.
You can't fish whenever you want.
You can't fish wherever you want.

LOW2000
04-10-2006, 9:12 PM
Heaven forbid we stimulate discussion on a DISCUSSION BOARD. It was new information and I didn't want to present the ar15 posters idea as my own, so I linked to it. Next time, i'll wait till a thread has 17 pages of worthless drivel and flaming prior to providing a link.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

socalguns
04-10-2006, 9:28 PM
Heaven forbid we stimulate discussion on a DISCUSSION BOARD. It was new information and I didn't want to present the ar15 posters idea as my own, so I linked to it. Next time, i'll wait till a thread has 17 pages of worthless drivel and flaming prior to providing a link.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

You know, its not a crime to QUOTE the original AR15 poster
while you're providing the link.

FreedomIsNotFree
04-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Get off his *** already....

Whats wrong with discussing it? Oh I get it...we should just be good little boys and girls and sit quietly......

socalguns
04-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Get off his *** already....

Whats wrong with discussing it? Oh I get it...we should just be good little boys and girls and sit quietly......
Where did I say its wrong to discuss it?
Learn to read.

FreedomIsNotFree
04-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Where did I say its wrong to discuss it?
Learn to read.

My point was that there should be no problem with someone starting a discussion such as this....my comment was not directed to you.

No harm....No foul.

Benellishooter
04-11-2006, 5:30 AM
I love it how the "experts" like to tell you how bad you are if you want to disobey an illegal and immoral law that prevents you from carrying your gun.

I'll be they would have lectured the Jews to wear their star, get on the trains, and go to the ovens.

Diabolus
04-11-2006, 6:06 AM
Has anyone ever tried this?

If I go fishing, does this law only apply to certain areas?

I like to fish in Kern County up near the Kern River and late at night there are a few questionable people in the area. I would feel much safer with a handgun but being arrested would be a life-changing event.

LOW2000
04-11-2006, 5:08 PM
Seems like the law is pretty clear on it, what confuses me is where the original poster cut and pasted those codes from, because in his post, it doesn't mention the need to transport unloaded like the link on the DOJ website shows.

glen avon
04-11-2006, 5:24 PM
...Next time, i'll wait till a thread has 17 pages of worthless drivel and flaming prior to providing a link....

actually, if you search this forum for concealed and fishing, you will find plenty of pages of worthless drivel and flaming, but not 17. not yet.... :D

socalguns
04-11-2006, 9:17 PM
Apparently he is quoting the
"California Firearms Laws" booklet (Cfl2006.pdf).
Which also says
The California Department of
Justice and all other public entities are immune from any liability arising from the
drafting, publication, or dissemination of this pamphlet, or any reliance upon it. (Penal
Code 12080.)

Riodog
04-12-2006, 9:53 AM
So what's the big deal and why all of the discussion? This is basically a non issue! I've hunted and fished just about every county of this state for the past 40 years and never had problem one. Concealed weapon? You betcha! ALWAYS! My best protection or self defense "IS THE ONE YOU CAN"T SEE OR YOU DON"T KNOW ABOUT! Why would I give away any advantage to the "potential bad guy"? End of discussion.
Rio

Diabolus
04-12-2006, 10:13 AM
That is great, but what are the conditions?

Can I use conceal carry at the Kern River?

Does this have to be an expedition into unknown areas?