PDA

View Full Version : Acog reticle question

problemchild
07-03-2010, 6:12 PM
I was at Ammo sisters and they had a good selection of Trijicon Acogs. I was looking through the scopes and noticed two of the scopes that had cross hatch reticles had blurry reticles on the right side. On the first scope I assumed it had been dropped. After the second scope I did not know what to think. The right side of the reticle just faded away to a blur. The salesman said he saw the same thing when he looked through the glass.

What gives?

sleepercar
07-03-2010, 6:36 PM
I've noticed that as well. First thing that came to my mind was, "Must have been dropped and is now 'Display Only'".

SuperSet
07-03-2010, 6:41 PM
Normal.
http://www.trijicon.com/faq.cfm

05. The right hand side of the crosshair is blurry. Is this normal?
Yes. The reticle pattern in the ACOG is formed by removing highly reflective metal from a prism mirror. This mirror is at about a 45-degree angle inside the gun sight. This means that the left side of the reticle is closer to the eye than the center of the reticle and the right side of the reticle is further from the eye. The result- the right side of the reticle is focused beyond infinity which can cause distortion on the right side of the reticle. The perceived distortion will be more or less depending on an individual's eyesight. The left side of the reticle is unaffected because the human eye has no difficulty focusing on a closer object. This in no way detracts from the performance of the scope. The image of the target area is not affected. Only the right hand side horizontal reticle line is blurry. This construction is required to achieve a parallax free vertical center of the scope, which allows the built in ranging on the reticle pattern.

problemchild
07-03-2010, 8:03 PM
Im speechless.

A very expensive scope and neither I nor the salesman who was a kid could see more than 1/2 the reticle. Guess I wont be buying one of those. Normal my ***! Engineers screw things up and then declare them "normal". It may be the way they are engineered but its not OK with me and its sure not the industry "norm". I have been shooting for a long time and never seen any other scope do that. That explains why the post and chevron is the "normal" trijicon reticle.

Normal.
http://www.trijicon.com/faq.cfm

05. The right hand side of the crosshair is blurry. Is this normal?
Yes. The reticle pattern in the ACOG is formed by removing highly reflective metal from a prism mirror. This mirror is at about a 45-degree angle inside the gun sight. This means that the left side of the reticle is closer to the eye than the center of the reticle and the right side of the reticle is further from the eye. The result- the right side of the reticle is focused beyond infinity which can cause distortion on the right side of the reticle. The perceived distortion will be more or less depending on an individual's eyesight. The left side of the reticle is unaffected because the human eye has no difficulty focusing on a closer object. This in no way detracts from the performance of the scope. The image of the target area is not affected. Only the right hand side horizontal reticle line is blurry. This construction is required to achieve a parallax free vertical center of the scope, which allows the built in ranging on the reticle pattern.

Camsnappersc
07-04-2010, 12:23 AM
It is not as big of deal when you start to use them. There is a reason these optics are regularly used in Iraq. I understand how it can be a bit of a turn off.