PDA

View Full Version : Best red dot for under $100?

GravyPersists
07-02-2010, 2:29 PM
I have been considering buying a red dot sight for my flat top AR and its somewhat overwhelming looking for one as there are so many brands and models to choose from.

I would like to spend less than $100 but wouldn't mind going a little over that if necessary. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Fot
07-02-2010, 2:42 PM
Vortex Strikefire seems to be the best bang for the buck.. Think they run @ $130

1lostinspace
07-02-2010, 2:45 PM
Get a Vortex it cost just a bit more but will last you along long time, other dots are too big MOA and getting any gun optic under 100 your asking for troouble

Lucky7
07-02-2010, 2:46 PM
Primary Arms

otalps
07-02-2010, 4:36 PM
Primary Arms

I just bought one of these last night. I was contemplating between the strikeforce and the primary arms and chose the primary arms after reading the reviews on arfcom.

I can't tell you how good it as I haven't received it yet but it did ship this morning after I ordered it late last night so that's a good sign. Oh and $89 wasn't too bad either.

1lostinspace
07-02-2010, 4:46 PM
I just bought one of these last night. I was contemplating between the strikeforce and the primary arms and chose the primary arms after reading the reviews on arfcom.

I can't tell you how good it as I haven't received it yet but it did ship this morning after I ordered it late last night so that's a good sign. Oh and $89 wasn't too bad either.

I am using Eotechs and Aimpoints and can tell you the Vortex is up there with the aimpoint at least

tomd1584
07-02-2010, 7:12 PM
I am using Eotechs and Aimpoints and can tell you the Vortex is up there with the aimpoint at least

no offense, but no. I have both, and the Vortex' glass is PURPLE. the side controls are OK at best.

the Vortex sits on my M&P 22, An Aimpoint Micro on my LMT. I also had a Primary Arms on my CMMG carbine and that was much clearer glass than the Vortex.

Is it a reasonably priced alternative to an Aimpoint? absolutely. Is it on par with an aimpoint? Absolutely not.

BamBam-31
07-02-2010, 9:00 PM
^^^This. From what I've seen, the sub $200 red dots all have a bluish tint when you look through them. Some dots are better than others, but none have clear glass like Eotechs and Aimpoints.

I have a couple of the Primary Arms red dots as well as a Bushnell TRS-25. All are pretty good for the money.

tacticalcity
07-02-2010, 9:57 PM
My main concern would be failure to maintain zero. After that poor battery life. After that poor glass.

I usually spend at least $200 on optics, sometimes as much as $2000. Although I do have a cheap magnifier, its just to hold me over until the budget allows for something better. The red dot it is magnifying is very high end and the magnifier is only on there so I can use my CQB rifle for plinking those long range targets a little easier. Not life or death situations. Since the magnifier does not need to maintain zero, its not as critical a peice of hardware as the red dot itself. If I were plaining on using the magnifier as more than just a toy/occassional luxury, I wouldn't trust it.

That said, who knows. You might find out one of them does the trick just fine. I had bad experiences with the ones I tried.

C_1
07-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Like they always say, you get what you pay for. I havent tried them for myself yet, but Primary Arms has a few clones that gets pretty good reviews. Good bang for the buck and what not.

Mail Clerk
07-03-2010, 8:01 PM
I agree Primary Arms would be my choice of a red dot. Small in size and rugget.

sniper4usmc
07-10-2010, 8:52 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0065994713198a.shtml
on sale for $89

Seesm
07-11-2010, 11:01 PM
I want a ACOG so bad that someone just likes me alot and wants to sell for about $100-200 is that hoping too much? :P BTW that Cabelas one is cool for the price. Anyone have one mounted on a Ar to see it size compared to the rifle?

Tony.
07-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Ultradot

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_2010_004.htm

Not as tacticool as the others, but it is one of the best for $150.