PDA

View Full Version : Deep sea fishing in SoCal - what to expect?

Kram12085
07-01-2010, 6:20 PM
I'm going deep water fishing for the first time (only done lake fishing a few times before) thanks to the Southern California Tuna Club sponsoring the trip for veterans. It said everything will be provided so I'm guessing there's nothing I'll need to bring. What about weather? Anything that may be helpful to bring anyway? Thanks.

Millions-Knives
07-01-2010, 6:31 PM
Pliers (Fishing/Needle nose-type)
Nail Clipper
Small Knife
Dramamine
Sun block
A Hat
Sunglasses (Polarized will make a difference)
Camera

Do you know where you're heading out? There's a lot of Barracuda out... wouldn't hurt to bring some extra leaders and a jig or two.

Almost forgot, License and enhancement.

Kram12085
07-01-2010, 6:37 PM
Pliers (Fishing/Needle nose-type)
Nail Clipper
Small Knife
Dramamine
Sun block
A Hat
Sunglasses (Polarized will make a difference)
Camera

Do you know where you're heading out? There's a lot of Barracuda out... wouldn't hurt to bring some extra leaders and a jig or two.

Almost forgot, License and enhancement.

Yup, going to get the license soon. I have no idea where we're heading, but starting point is Long Beach so I'm guessing that vicinity. It's been getting hot lately, will the weather out at sea differ much? Is a jacket/long pants necessary?

Fjold
07-01-2010, 6:43 PM
Vet wrap (It's a not sticky tape that you can get at feed stores etc.) to wrap your thumb with when thumbing the spool during casting.

Self- draining shoes, tevas or short waterproof boots.

Bring shorts and lighweight long pants and a windbreaker.

Go to "Edit", then "Go Advanced" and you can correct your title.

hung380
07-01-2010, 6:56 PM
Scopaline (sp)? Patch to prevent u from getting seasick. Over the counter motion sickness pills don't work sometimes:-/

shoupdawg
07-01-2010, 7:01 PM
Sunblock.

And it's not really deep...

And NO BANANAS!

sevensix2x51
07-01-2010, 7:43 PM
im 25 miles from the beach, and when it's 90* and sunny here, it's often in the low sixties and overcast at the beach. and when youre ten miles out, theres nothing to block the wind. definitely pack a jacket, just in case. i usually wear a white long sleeve and closed toed shoes for sure. fish are heavy and pointy.

toby
07-01-2010, 7:56 PM
If your going on an over night trip you will need a jacket!!!! at least a pullover?

Fjold
07-01-2010, 8:48 PM
Scopaline (sp)? Patch to prevent u from getting seasick. Over the counter motion sickness pills don't work sometimes:-/

Scopolamine patch. Get it prescribed by your doctor and put it on the before you go to bed the night before you leave. Side effects include vivid dreams, and sleepiness, severe for some people.

Bongos
07-01-2010, 8:50 PM
Barracuda and Sand bass on the chew, use at least #30 test on the barries, reverse dropper loop for the sandies. make sure you have extra hooks... if it gets wide open, you are going to have a rocking good time, wear tennis shoes as the barries have teeth and sometimes during a hot bit, you'll have barracuda caucuses on the deck as the deck hands can not put them away fast enough, wearing sandels is dangerouse with all the teeth leying around. When you are on a fish, the last thing you notice is what you are stepping on.
(ask me how I know)...

Lastly, when you decide you are tired of catching sandies and barries and feel kind of like "I'd like to get something bigger", try to either fish for a small mackeral or get the largest sardine you can find..mackeral works better... clip the top part of the tall off, use the mack as live bait, use a circle hook if you have one, then fly line it... let it go out as far as it wants, use at least #30 line... sit back relax and get ready for the fight of your life... mackeral is White Sea Bass's favorite food, the problem the macks are usually too fast for the bass to get, so if an injured one presents itself, you cutting of the top part of the tell will have the mack send a detress signal.... this is White Sea Bass season and if there is any bass in a thousand yards, it's going to come in for the mack.. these things are averaging in the +40 lb average... considering in the market, they cost $15 for pound, you should easily get about 30 lb in steaks... great for sushi or sushimi too...

RANDO
07-01-2010, 9:55 PM
beer

Sheldon
07-01-2010, 10:48 PM
You can go to a site like BitesOn.com and look at the landing you'll be leaving out of and get daily counts on what they are catching. What is the duration of the trip you are going out on.....1/2, 3/4, overnight trip?

Kram12085
07-01-2010, 10:57 PM
You can go to a site like BitesOn.com and look at the landing you'll be leaving out of and get daily counts on what they are catching. What is the duration of the trip you are going out on.....1/2, 3/4, overnight trip?

Sweet, looks like a cool site, and thanks for the other responses as well. It should only be a half-day trip.

Rbutler
07-01-2010, 11:37 PM
i went out of dana point the other day, i second the motion sickness pills, and sunblock. i forgot the sunblock and got a mean burn. we went out on the full day to catalina (12hrs) the half days i think fish local so youll prob get some sand bass and maybe some cuda.

Hoolpe
07-02-2010, 7:53 AM
If you get seasick, then pick up some Nux Vomica at local Sprout's or Henry's store. It doesn't cure seasickness, but it will instantly quell your sickness once you feel that you are going to vomit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strychnine_tree you just dissolve a few under your tongue and you'll feel a lot better.

duckman1
07-02-2010, 7:59 AM
Don't forget the food and beverages.

StephenhDMRS
07-02-2010, 8:16 AM
Mostly Barracuda... In fact I think that's all I caught when I went out(about 10 of them). All catch and release since I am not a big fan of eating them. A lot of fishing tours provide a fishing license so you may want to inquire about that before just to be sure.

yasushi
07-02-2010, 8:20 AM
And NO BANANAS!

That's a good one. I stil remember getting yelled at by the deckie in the 70's when I pulled my banana out of my backpack, then he threw it overboard:D

In addition to the all of the good advices above, I would bring a clean shirt, shorts and shoes to change into after you get off the boat. And make sure to wear a set of clothing, hat and shoes that you don't mind getting blood, guts, slime, scales and saltspray all over.

Oh and bring a handtowel on board if you don't want to use your shirt to wipe the grime off your hands.

Shoes, no flip flops since the deck gets wet and slimy and flopping fish on deck with jig full of tribles is not too kind on exposed toes.

GJC
07-02-2010, 10:02 AM
NO BANANA's!!!!!! And listen to the crew members, Have a great time :)

gizmo7718
07-02-2010, 10:36 AM
beer

^THIS!! priorities you know :thumbsup:

scotthmt
07-02-2010, 11:06 AM
defintely no bananas

Ricky-Ray
07-02-2010, 11:11 AM
check out www.976-tuna.com for up to latest on what's biting.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-02-2010, 3:19 PM
Dont forget a positive attitude. Are there any more slots open?

sevensix2x51
07-02-2010, 4:10 PM
bananas actually have no bearing on a fishing trip. the practice of taking bananas on a boat is mistakenly associated with not getting fish, when actually it was a practice by sailors in days of wooden ships. the bananas, when placed in a cargo hold, would ripen and then go bad very quickly, and that would in turn spoil all the other food in the hold. so bananas were verboten on actual cargo sailing vessels, before the days of refrigeration.
just a little tidbit; people will still get mad if you bring a banana on their boat. :rolleyes:

Ricky-Ray
07-02-2010, 4:33 PM
If your leaving from Long Beach it's either going to be Long Beach Sportfishing Berth 55, Pierpoint or Long Bech Marina. I'm guessing you are either going to be doing a 1/2 day or a 3/4 day trip.

If they are supplying all the gear then you don't really have to bring much. Like most have said, pliers, nail clipper/small pair of scissors, sunglasses, hat, sunblock, and a light jacket should do it. Tennis shoes should be fine be prepared that they could get wet. Given the weekend's weather forecast I wouldn't worry too much about the need for long pants unless you get cold easily.

You could bring your own food and drinks, hard coolers are not allowed but usually the personal soft coolers are ok and most deckhands will usually be ok with those. If you bring drinks use plastic bottles, glass bottles are NOT allowed. They do have a galley on board so if you prefer you can buy drinks, alcohol, and food on board. Bring cash as everything on board is cash only. Food, drinks, fish cleaning and crew tip is all cash.

If your unsure of anything ask the deckhands that's what they are there for, and at the end of they day if they treated you well be sure to tip them. They work long hours for a small flat pay so most of their income is from fish cleaning and tips.

If your prone to getting seasick pickup some dramamine or bonine (sp?). They are over the counter drugs available at Rite Aid, Walmart, Target, etc. The best would be to take one the night before your trip that way it will be in your system already then when your about to leave on the trip take another one and one more mid/late afternoon if needed. That way it's in your system and working. If your starting to feel nauseous, stay out of the galley and move towards the back of the boat and the middle where it's the most stable part. Keep your eyes on the horizon and take some deep breaths. Having some saltines would help too. Stay away from greasy foods and alcohol if your feeling nauseous.

Above all else have a good attitude and enjoy what mother nature is offering to you that day. Remember it's called fishing and sometimes you will get them and sometimes you won't but. The captain's cat take you to the fish but they can't get them to bite all the time, otherwise it would be called "catching". LOL

Bring a camera to capture the day and if you get hooked onto the salt send me a PM and we can share the rail. :)

I love fishing the big pond.

Bongos
07-07-2010, 6:39 PM
well? How did you do? Family and I went to the HB pier on the 5th, the surf perch and croaker are running, the key is bloodworms....

Kram12085
07-07-2010, 10:31 PM
well? How did you do? Family and I went to the HB pier on the 5th, the surf perch and croaker are running, the key is bloodworms....

It's not until this Saturday but I'm getting excited!

Hobbyhorse
07-07-2010, 11:13 PM
bananas actually have no bearing on a fishing trip. the practice of taking bananas on a boat is mistakenly associated with not getting fish, when actually it was a practice by sailors in days of wooden ships. the bananas, when placed in a cargo hold, would ripen and then go bad very quickly, and that would in turn spoil all the other food in the hold. so bananas were verboten on actual cargo sailing vessels, before the days of refrigeration.
just a little tidbit; people will still get mad if you bring a banana on their boat. :rolleyes:

I fish quite extensively and haven't heard the banana story put this way.

"There are many stories why bananas have been thought of as bad luck on boats. This is only one of the nautical superstitions that I know of and is particularly prevalent amongst watermen. Many stories have banana oil rubbing off on ones hands and “spooking" the fish; therefore the fish don't bite. There is always the story of a crew member slipping on the banana peel left on the deck. Some say that bananas give you the runs so you are always in the marine head and can't catch fish because you are busy "draining the pipes". Many other stories are told about bad luck and bananas, however the one that I find most plausible is a historical one. " http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a_superstition_about_bananas_on_fishing_b oats

Not my take on the entire situation but close to what I've heard

Back in the days of the transatlantic crossings by wooden sailing ships many hazards would befall the captains, crew and passengers. Disease, pirates, shipwrecks, storms, etc., claimed the lives of a good percentage of the captains, crew and passengers attempting the dangerous voyage. Needless to say, a transatlantic crossing in the 17th and 18th centuries was a very risky endeavor. Often the vessels would stop along the way in tropical islands to gather provisions such as food and water. There the passengers and crew would often purchase wooden crates of bananas from the locals and bring them aboard the ship. These crates would have all manner of critters in them such as bugs, spiders, vermin and snakes.

These critters would make their way into the bilges of the ships, multiply, and then find their way into the captain's quarters. The captains circulated the rumor that bananas were bad luck in an attempt to keep the critters off the ship and out of their cabin. The crew and
passengers were more than eager to follow suit because of the inherent risk of the crossing. So, if the captain announced prior to the voyage that bananas were bad luck and not allowed aboard the vessel, everyone complied.

Ricky-Ray
07-12-2010, 2:22 PM
It's not until this Saturday but I'm getting excited!

Well?? How did it go??? Inquiring minds want to know...:D

professionalcoyotehunter
07-12-2010, 2:25 PM
You forgot about 22nd street. I am still trying to get a trip together but I need to come up with half down to reserve the boat. I am thinking of heading out of oxnard now since there is less traffic and I have never been to the Channel Islands.

Ricky-Ray
07-12-2010, 2:48 PM
I left out 22nd St. Landing because he said that his departure point was from Long Beach. 22nd. St. is in San Pedro. :)

professionalcoyotehunter
07-12-2010, 2:49 PM
Close enough for me.

ar_craig
07-12-2010, 5:03 PM
One bit of advice with regards to dramamine. Take it BEFORE you're sick. It does you no freakin' good to take it after you're already turning green.

-Craig

toby
07-12-2010, 5:20 PM
You need to check if the fish are at the Channel Islands cuz not always?

Rob454
07-12-2010, 5:45 PM
jacket
Sunscreen
hat
Sunglasses
light tennis shoes
Dramamine ( if you get sea sick also take it a hour or so BEFORE you get on the boat)
Fishing rod and hooks ( if they dont supply it)

Also if you are hitting barracuda sometimes there are schools of yellowtail out there. Im not sure what else is hitting out there now. You may find swordfish if you go out towards Catalina..

Bongos
07-12-2010, 9:39 PM
ok, how did you do?

Kram12085
07-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry for the lack of update, been a very busy weekend!

Using anchovy and squid as bait, I caught NOTHING!! Our boat got two sand bass, a mackeral, and ray (released) and... a huge pink starfish (obviously released). Had my bait jacked twice, so at least I was getting bites. Was a bit sad to go home empty handed considering the other boat in our group got over a dozen bass. But all in all, it was a great experience! :)

Bongos
07-13-2010, 8:59 AM
Most likely what happened is you used rental eq, these tend to have #30 old line and big *** hooks. From my experience fishing local for the last 28 years, getting your own eq for around $100, using #15 p-line CXX and owner hooks will yeild more strikes and fish...

novabrian
07-13-2010, 10:46 AM
jacket
Sunscreen
hat
Sunglasses
light tennis shoes
Dramamine ( if you get sea sick also take it a hour or so BEFORE you get on the boat)
Fishing rod and hooks ( if they dont supply it)

Also if you are hitting barracuda sometimes there are schools of yellowtail out there. Im not sure what else is hitting out there now. You may find swordfish if you go out towards Catalina..

And beer!

professionalcoyotehunter
07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
or a camel back with vodka and punch.

ar_craig
07-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Punch? Lightweight.

-Craig

rodog
07-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Most likely what happened is you used rental eq, these tend to have #30 old line and big *** hooks. From my experience fishing local for the last 28 years, getting your own eq for around $100, using #15 p-line CXX and owner hooks will yeild more strikes and fish...

I concur, I hate using rental rods. Perhaps next time, at least bring your own hooks as you know they will be sharp and maybe a couple of swim baits in case the live bait isn't working. Bongos, you wouldn't be part of "bongosSportfishing" would you? To the OP, sorry about getting skunked, at least a day on the water is better than at work" or not shooting, lol.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-15-2010, 9:09 AM
Punch? Lightweight.

-Craig

I am a whiskey person. I mainly drink Jameson. Anyone is welcome to join me on a Full day out of Oxnard this Sunday on the Maximus.

Cire 5th
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I am about to go on a deep sea fishing trip around the Bay with some co workers. We are about to charter a boat. I am guessing we might be going around the Farallon Islands. I mainly fish off shore into the surf or on a pier. I usually use High Low setup or a slider setup, 25 lb test mono with anywhere from a 3-6 pyramid or torpedo sinker depending on conditions.

What setup do you guys recommend for fishing off a boat? I plan on bringing the same equipment I fish on the surf, pier, on shore. 12' Surf Rod, Saltwater Spinning Reel. I am going to get my line redid to add more. Can I still go with that High Low Setup? What weight of sinker?

Thanks in advance.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Depends on what is biting. I usually just fly line an anchovy unless the white seabass come in than I switch over to heavy irons.

Cire 5th
07-15-2010, 2:06 PM
Depends on what is biting. I usually just fly line an anchovy unless the white seabass come in than I switch over to heavy irons.

This is going to go down in about a week and a half from now. Reports are saying Rock Cod, Lingcod, Halibut. I just want to know the general setup. Can I use my High Low setup or slider rig that I use off shore/surf and on the pier, on a boat? What is the usual set up on a boat?

ar_craig
07-15-2010, 3:07 PM
This is going to go down in about a week and a half from now. Reports are saying Rock Cod, Lingcod, Halibut. I just want to know the general setup. Can I use my High Low setup or slider rig that I use off shore/surf and on the pier, on a boat? What is the usual set up on a boat?

Tie a hook on a dropper loop (http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloop/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com), then tie a torpedo sinker to the end of the main line (depending on current, maybe 3-5 ounces). Make the loop really long to give the hook some distance from the main line. That's a pretty standard rig for bottom fishing with live or dead bait.

Or you can just flyline a live anchovy (or mackerel). If the fish are deeper, add a sliding weight above the hook.

-Craig

professionalcoyotehunter
07-15-2010, 4:45 PM
I use a large swivel as a weight tied about 24 inches about the anchovy to let it have a natural sinking feel to it.

Ricky-Ray
07-15-2010, 5:34 PM
Tie a hook on a dropper loop (http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloop/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com), then tie a torpedo sinker to the end of the main line (depending on current, maybe 3-5 ounces). Make the loop really long to give the hook some distance from the main line. That's a pretty standard rig for bottom fishing with live or dead bait.

Or you can just flyline a live anchovy (or mackerel). If the fish are deeper, add a sliding weight above the hook.

-Craig

If your fishing Oxnard/Channel Islands area I would bring torpedo sinker's up to 16oz. Current can be ripping at times and you'll need that much weight to get down to 60 fathoms if that's where your fishing.

Bongos
07-16-2010, 8:55 AM
I concur, I hate using rental rods. Perhaps next time, at least bring your own hooks as you know they will be sharp and maybe a couple of swim baits in case the live bait isn't working. Bongos, you wouldn't be part of "bongosSportfishing" would you? To the OP, sorry about getting skunked, at least a day on the water is better than at work" or not shooting, lol.

Nope, Bongos was a nickname a hawaiian friend called me 30yrs ago and it stuck for the Net. I learned long ago, just bring your own gear (the best you can afford) and fresh line (not ones from 1yr or so ago) and your fishing chances will improve. Sharp hooks account for 50% of hooking a fish or not... when the boat stops, use the live bat for the first 15 minutes, if no one is getting fish, switch to a sardine colored 4-5" swim bait.
The idea is, with chum/live bait in the water and the fish is not biting, it's means they are full. Using a swim bait will trigger an impulse strike.

This worked for me on many occasions, one trip, you can actually see the bait fish around the boat as well as 20-30# Yellowtail, the tails were not biting, I took out my swim bait rod and proceed to get yellowtail. That trip yeild 9 yellowtail for the boat (I personally landed 6 (donated 2 (donating is when you hook on and too tired to fight, so you hand your rod to a 9 yr old kid whom's Dad been giving him Sh## for being seasick constantly saying it's a waste of money to take him fishing... it's kid's first deep sea trip and his dad took him on an overnighter...after the landing the 25# Tail, I think the kid and dad got a lot closer and the trip turned out to be one of those "fishin story" trips... the kid was hooked and probably still fishing today)))

Bongos
07-16-2010, 9:07 AM
If your fishing Oxnard/Channel Islands area I would bring torpedo sinker's up to 16oz. Current can be ripping at times and you'll need that much weight to get down to 60 fathoms if that's where your fishing.

Uuuuuuuuugh! Oxnard/Channel Islands ...the washing machine

professionalcoyotehunter
07-16-2010, 9:12 AM
I have never been out of there so thanks for the tips. I am sure it should not be to rough out there.

Bongos
07-16-2010, 9:36 AM
I have never been out of there so thanks for the tips. I am sure it should not be to rough out there.

Yea, if you are targeting Albies, you have to go through 6-10 miles of an area called the Washing Machine (it's called that for a reason, I usually never get seasick, but 5 miles in, I lost my lunch and dinner from the night before...after the washing machine we limited on Albies which was good, the bad was we had to go back thru the washing machine to get home....

Otherwise, it's rock fish and ling cod if you avoid the washing machine, the rock fishing is usually limiting out as these waters are not fished as much as the ones from down south.

Newport Beach right now is in the mist of Sand Bass sponding, so everyone is limiting on Sand Bass.. poor guys, after sex they get caught and eatin...

I's kind of nice fishing righ now with the Sandies doing their thing, if you want to fish up top, you get Barries and go bottom (100-200 feet) you get sandies...

professionalcoyotehunter
07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I hate bass fishing but if that is all that is biting I will go for them. I am more of a top water kind of guy.

Bongos
07-16-2010, 1:14 PM
I hate bass fishing but if that is all that is biting I will go for them. I am more of a top water kind of guy.

Barries are the top water type and they fight pretty good, good eatin too, just filet with skin on (scales off ofcourss) sulk in italian salid dressing for a few hours and it's ready for the BBQ, 4 min skin down, 2 min flip, then ready, taste like seabass at the expensive restuarants :D

professionalcoyotehunter
07-16-2010, 1:22 PM
I like eating cuda. I smoke them with maple syrup and teriyaki.