PDA

View Full Version : A crazy CCW idea

jnojr
04-09-2006, 10:09 AM
A thought just hit me...

California law allows you to carry a concealed, loaded handgun without a permit if you're in immediate fear of someone you have a restraining order against. How about filing for a restraining order against John Doe, the unknown perpetrator of a recent violent crime, especially a crime that has some link to you (if you work in a pizza place, a guy who's robbing pizza places)? The police can get arrest warrants and indictments against John Doe defendants. You can file a lawsuit against a John Doe defendant. Why couldn't you get a restraining order against a violent John Doe criminal to keep him 500 feet away from you, your premises, and your property?

I really don't think this would fly, but it'll be fun to talk about! :D

Major Miner II
04-09-2006, 1:57 PM
A thought just hit me...

California law allows you to carry a concealed, loaded handgun without a permit if you're in immediate fear of someone you have a restraining order against. How about filing for a restraining order against John Doe, the unknown perpetrator of a recent violent crime, especially a crime that has some link to you (if you work in a pizza place, a guy who's robbing pizza places)? The police can get arrest warrants and indictments against John Doe defendants. You can file a lawsuit against a John Doe defendant. Why couldn't you get a restraining order against a violent John Doe criminal to keep him 500 feet away from you, your premises, and your property?

I really don't think this would fly, but it'll be fun to talk about! :D
Why doesn't everyone just spend $100 on a locksmith permit, no training needed, and apply on the basis that you work in bad areas late at night.

Seems more reasonable. :rolleyes:

jnojr
04-09-2006, 3:09 PM
Why doesn't everyone just spend $100 on a locksmith permit, no training needed, and apply on the basis that you work in bad areas late at night.

Because you still have to hope that that would be "good cause" for your Sheriff. In LA or the Bay Area, it isn't. I mentioned the restraining order thing because that's a "loophole" in the law that allows you to carry without a permit.

phish
04-09-2006, 3:25 PM
good luck finding a friend willing to take the wrap for a restraining order

Colonel Klink
04-09-2006, 3:27 PM

Seems more reasonable. :rolleyes:

Because there is no reason acceptable to Oakland Police Chief. He won't give anyone an application unless they are a bodyguard for the mayor or a city council member.

VeryCoolCat
04-09-2006, 3:46 PM
Why not say you own a lot of rifles and like to take em to the range and if someone comes up to rob you, it'll put like 40 rifles on the street in the hands of criminals. So you need a CCW permit to prevent theft of your valuable equipment and for the safety of the public.

linuxgunner
04-09-2006, 3:51 PM
Why not say you own a lot of rifles and like to take em to the range and if someone comes up to rob you, it'll put like 40 rifles on the street in the hands of criminals. So you need a CCW permit to prevent theft of your valuable equipment and for the safety of the public.

Sounds reasonable but won't help at all in LA, SF, or Oakland. In SF, you really have to be a prosecutor or judge to get one of the 10 permits that are issued there. In LA you need to be a VIP to get one of the 1600 permits issued (LAC, population 10mil). Oakland is about the same.

None of this stuff will help in those counties. In LA we have a chance of replacing the sheriff and winning that way. Sorry, SF, you'll never get rid of Sheriff Hennessey. Vote against him anyway. The only hope in such places is with legal hacking of various kinds, or a national reciprocity bill.

http://www.sfsheriff.com/images/henn1.gif

Sheriff Hennessey has been SF County Sheriff since 1979. I guess he has to retire someday. Please SF gun owners, start thinking about that fight.

jnojr
04-09-2006, 6:28 PM

...because the Sheriff still gets to decide if that's "good" enough. It isn't in San Diego... I already tried.

Nak
04-09-2006, 8:11 PM
Try sucking harder, do you like to toss salads?

That works here in San Diego.

You'd think, a military town like ours would be a little more, well, conservative.

CSkyhawk72
04-09-2006, 10:15 PM
About San Francisco.... it's a lost cause. No amount of legal work or anything will change the CCW policies here. Best bet is to get out of Dodge for now, maybe sometime in the future, the pansies running this place will get ousted and we'll have a shot... but it's useless now. Sherriff Hennessey.... what a pathetic louse!