PDA

View Full Version : ferral cats ..

gabe123
07-01-2010, 1:20 PM
I live in a city. I have a ferral cat in my yard, and it just gave birth to 4 little cats. I called animal control and they ain't going to do anything. I'm thinking about renting a case for the mother cat. It got all offensive seeing me, like i don't belong in my yard.

so i want to trap that thing, and release it in the forest. Can I hunt it legally then?

RobG
07-01-2010, 1:23 PM
Shoot, shovel, shut up. Or a trap from the city.

lewdogg21
07-01-2010, 2:38 PM
Don't dump it in the woods. It will kill other animals and birds. You can shoot it in the woods but I couldn't stomach killing kittens.

Trap it and the kittens and take them to the SPCA or pound.

pieeater
07-01-2010, 3:00 PM
I freakin hate cats. SSS

ChaparralCommando
07-01-2010, 4:17 PM
Get a Havahart trap or something similar and trap it and kill it by freezing or gassing it. Drowning works too but isn't particularly humane. Feral cats are legal to kill AFAIK.

bigboarstopper
07-01-2010, 5:14 PM
Take the most politically correct method. Humane trap, then to the spca. You live in the city. I bet a news article about a guy who shoots or drowns baby kittens would make at least the back page of the local paper. Save yourself the headache and possible public scrutiny.

DirtyDave
07-01-2010, 7:45 PM
Technically it would be legal to kill a feral cat in "the woods". Do not release it in the woods though!
In the city you would have to worry about somebody getting wind of you killing it, especially the kittens and nailing you for ANIMAL CRUELTY. Pretty much killing anything within city limits can be animal cruelty.
Not worth the effort to take to the woods to kill.
Like said before, (this goes for all cats, big or small) Shoot, Shovel, Shutup.

Bearclaw
07-01-2010, 7:52 PM
To the OP...
I'm not sure where you live...but here in San Jose, I know that you can get traps from City Animal Control. Bait it with a can of tuna and once you have the cats trapped, just take them down to the pound. Let them deal with killing them or finding them homes. Just be sure to get a trap for each cat.

as a side note...I frickin' hate cats! But I have my dog, so lucky for me, any cat that does make it into my back yard, doesn't make it out!!! :D

gotime
07-01-2010, 8:00 PM
anyone watch Book of Eli? that first scene was awesome... because I hate cats.

scotthmt
07-01-2010, 10:48 PM
My stepdad had a feral cat issue, he had a truck that the cats kept on pissing in the rims and rusting them, so he baited them with some nip, waited with his trust 22 revolver, and lemme just say, the cat never came back. Im nor sure whether he used his revolver or a rifle actually, or what kind of 22 he used, 22 short, subsonic, or a normal 22, but it did the job, the cat ran away though, 22 lacks stopping power, unless you got a scoped out rifle and cap put the shot in the head, expect it to likely run away or try very hard to get away.

SLYoteBoy
07-01-2010, 10:58 PM
I myself dont mind about feral cats around here. As long as they keep the mice down , and dont mess with the dogs , they can stick around.

Bobula
07-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Depending on where you are use craigslist. I'm in a rural area, found a guy offering to deliver feral cats. Solved my mouse/rat problem.

GJC
07-02-2010, 8:59 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/32-1-2-half-inch-l-x-10-inch-w-x-13-1-4-quarter-inch-h-collapsible-medium-animal-trap-9646.html

zinfull
07-02-2010, 9:23 AM
When I was young we used to see the feral cats all the time in our backyard. We lived in the country and people would dump them near the house. They were great targets and are not that easy to shoot. Do not make your problem some one else, get rid of the cats or adopt them.

jerry

Mac
07-02-2010, 7:48 PM
My Son had a pregnant Cat move in to his House. Garage. STayed for a month or so then dumped 3 kittens. Found homes for the kittens when they were weened and big enough. then the Mother Cat went home. Next door. turns out it was the neighbors friggin Cat.

they do that. the Mother must feel safe at your place.

Rule .308
07-02-2010, 8:03 PM
The down and dirty on getting rid of feral cats is a can of sardines and 3-4 aspirin crushed up in it. The sardines will mask the bitter taste of the aspirin and the cat will bleed out internally in no time.

I do not mind feral cats too much but once they start dropping batches of kittens and crapping everywhere from the flower beds to the roof tops it is time for them to go.

Bearclaw
07-02-2010, 8:35 PM
My Son had a pregnant Cat move in to his House. Garage. STayed for a month or so then dumped 3 kittens. Found homes for the kittens when they were weened and big enough. then the Mother Cat went home. Next door. turns out it was the neighbors friggin Cat.

they do that. the Mother must feel safe at your place.

I do not mind feral cats too much but once they start dropping batches of kittens and crapping everywhere from the flower beds to the roof tops it is time for them to go.

Both of these statements made me feel like I had to point out the double standard in today's society....

...If it were some unknown and unwanted DOG in your yard, I'm sure there would be hell to pay - or at the very least, the city's Animal Control would be called immediately. While I understand that many CG'ers own dogs and may not feel this way...my feelings are just based on prior observation of the city dwellers around me. Yes I have a dog, which is both trained and friendly...and yes I hate cats. But if they don't bother me, then I don't bother them. However, they absolutely do not belong in my yard. If they come into my yard, and I don't know who it belongs to...I will not even try to find out. If my dog doesn't get to them 1st...then they get caught and go straight to the pound. I see cats running around wherever they ^&(*$%&^ please with no owner in sight, but if it were a dog people would be worried about safety and/or calling the city/police. Just saying.

Ok...I'm done venting...thanks guys.

tankerman
07-02-2010, 8:50 PM
In East Texas, feral cats are known as 'ground skeet'.

Mac
07-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Always was a Dog owner here. That is until I got married some 35 years ago. Now we have both. I can live with it.

calixt0
07-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I've been using a humane trap bought at harbor freight for 21.99. then take to local humane society... I've dropped 2 cats and 2 opossums so far. a single sardine in the cage does wonders.

fusionstar
07-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Are you guys getting your info from the kitty assassin's handbook or something? Take the non risk path. Trap and take to the pound. They will do the killing for ya.

PS:
I hate cats.

Hunt
07-03-2010, 1:56 PM
Don't dump it in the woods. It will kill other animals and birds. You can shoot it in the woods but I couldn't stomach killing kittens.

Trap it and the kittens and take them to the SPCA or pound.

Hawaii is losing some of their most rare exotic birds because of a feral cat population explosion. Funny thing is the PETA people are protecting the cats at the expense of almost extinct birds. Shoot, shovel, shut up, it is a duty to protect the wildlife environment.

DirtyDave
07-03-2010, 2:40 PM
Hawaii is losing some of their most rare exotic birds because of a feral cat population explosion. Funny thing is the PETA people are protecting the cats at the expense of almost extinct birds. Shoot, shovel, shut up, it is a duty to protect the wildlife environment.

They have the same problem in Australia, There not many native predators in Aus and the Feral cats and introduced Foxes are killing off all the small birds, mammals and marsupials. They are killed on sight.

Hunt
07-03-2010, 2:47 PM
They have the same problem in Australia, There not many native predators in Aus and the Feral cats and introduced Foxes are killing off all the small birds, mammals and marsupials. They are killed on sight.

the problem w/ Hawaii is it is a Libs paradise for insane communities. I have camped at campgrounds in HI where local PETA nuts go into the bush to set up feed and water stations for the cats. Same PETA nuts stop any actions to curb population growth but they do petition to catch spay and nueter.

Hunt
07-03-2010, 2:48 PM
Are you guys getting your info from the kitty assassin's handbook or something? Take the non risk path. Trap and take to the pound. They will do the killing for ya.

PS:
I hate cats.
not in HI

Gryff
07-03-2010, 3:23 PM
This concept would be pretty sweet for loose dogs, too. Usually, I take them to the pound, but taking them out in the hills and using them for target practice has an allure since I get some benefit out of it.

Shotgun Man
07-03-2010, 3:25 PM
Both of these statements made me feel like I had to point out the double standard in today's society....

...If it were some unknown and unwanted DOG in your yard, I'm sure there would be hell to pay - or at the very least, the city's Animal Control would be called immediately. While I understand that many CG'ers own dogs and may not feel this way...my feelings are just based on prior observation of the city dwellers around me. Yes I have a dog, which is both trained and friendly...and yes I hate cats. But if they don't bother me, then I don't bother them. However, they absolutely do not belong in my yard. If they come into my yard, and I don't know who it belongs to...I will not even try to find out. If my dog doesn't get to them 1st...then they get caught and go straight to the pound. I see cats running around wherever they ^&(*$%&^ please with no owner in sight, but if it were a dog people would be worried about safety and/or calling the city/police. Just saying.

Ok...I'm done venting...thanks guys.

Cats are different than dogs.

If someone's pet cat wants to lounge in my backyard, I'm not likely to have a problem with it. It's happened before. They're normally simply sunning themselves or hunting rats or mice. Good determent.

Exile Machine
07-03-2010, 3:27 PM
Take them to your local PETA shelter.

They'll kill them faster than any other method you can imagine. (http://www.petakillsanimals.com/)

-Mark

Mike's Custom
07-03-2010, 3:34 PM
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a live capture trap. They work great and are about $20. I have caught them and then taken them to the pound until they refused to take more saying I was catching neighbors pets. I told them to try to pick one up and NOT get bit. After that I would ... well, lets say I don't have a feral cat problem here anymore.

devilinblack
07-03-2010, 5:24 PM
The live traps work well. I've greatly reduced my neighborhood cat problem with one. If you happen to be around the North OC area send me a PM and I'll give you a hand.

duckman1
07-03-2010, 6:12 PM
Hard for them to swim in those humane traps.

Bearclaw
07-03-2010, 7:01 PM
Cats are different than dogs.

If someone's pet cat wants to lounge in my backyard, I'm not likely to have a problem with it. It's happened before. They're normally simply sunning themselves or hunting rats or mice. Good determent.

Or stinking up the yard with land mines and yellow rain!

ScottB
07-03-2010, 7:29 PM
Find someone with a jagdterrier. Problem solved

Seriously, don't do anything antisocial. It may blow up in your face and animal cruelty is not something you want to be a part of. You have to face your neighbors. The live traps and animal control route is the way to go.

That said, I don't consider having a higher-order predator like a Jagdterrier establish his territory on your property to be antisocial.

sevensix2x51
07-03-2010, 8:39 PM
cure for feral kittens... (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&gbv=2&q=tamper&cid=2526946703984128776&ei=xg8wTIqBGp6wiwSxyojMDg&sa=title&ved=0CBMQ8wIwAzgA#p) :D:D:D

feral creatures that move too fast for the "kitten kuller" in my yard get a healthy dose of marlin 39 and super colibris. of course, im unincorporated. and dont shoot skunks within 3' of an exterior wall. stucco is not smell-proof, fwiw.

hnoppenberger
07-04-2010, 2:51 AM
The down and dirty on getting rid of feral cats is a can of sardines and 3-4 aspirin crushed up in it. The sardines will mask the bitter taste of the aspirin and the cat will bleed out internally in no time.

aaAHhhhH You are a murderer!!!!!!!!! the humanity!!!!

Rule .308
07-04-2010, 7:24 AM
aaAHhhhH You are a murderer!!!!!!!!! the humanity!!!!

Alright, Noppenberger, it's 3:51 in the morning on the 4th of July and you are drunk posting again. Go to bed and sober up you alcoholic teenager :D

And yes, I am a murderer, so keep your pets locked up.

Canute
07-04-2010, 3:41 PM
I'm okay with cats. They work on the rodent population. Feral dogs would be too dangerous. I just got back from rural China where the feral dogs are scary.
Hawaii - eliminate them.

ScottB
07-04-2010, 5:13 PM
Feral cats are enormously destructive of native gamebird and songbird populations. All domestic cats should be spayed/neutered and kept confined in a roofed enclosure.

This argument that "its their nature to roam" is pure crap. Its my dog's nature to roam too, but he is required to be confined. Same rules should apply to cats for many good reasons.

Any cat on my property is fair game for the dog - and he has a couple notches on his collar