PDA

View Full Version : PS3 online play pretty disspointing!

novabrian
07-01-2010, 12:26 PM
I am new to online play.I am playing SOCOM Confontation.There is a lot of down time playing online I realized.Also it takes forever to load.Ohwell back to playing with myself! :)

Breadfan
07-01-2010, 12:28 PM
it is all about xbox live

evidens83
07-01-2010, 12:37 PM
XBL is better online wise but since I have a PS3 now I might as well put the PSN to work! I find the lag on MW2 tolerable. Nova, is your internet connection wireless or are you hardwired? I ran wirelessly for a while but I found it would drop connection here and there so I just connected the ethernet cable and now it never drops connection and it seems or feels at least to me that the connection is faster.

JOEKILLA
07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
SOCOM Confrontation suck, and it has been like that since day one.

Get MW2 and play with your fellow calgunners ;)

Add me, JOEK1LLA.

Joe
07-01-2010, 2:32 PM
Another vote for modern warfare 2. Its a pretty good game and you wont experience the downtime your talking about. At any given time there are 200k+ people online.

Socom sucks.

windrider
07-01-2010, 2:36 PM
If you can hardwire it, the wifi inside the ps3 is really crappy compared to any modern wifi device. I get my internet from a neighbor mine is so slow to do anything online, it took over 24hrs to download Training day in hd, netflix takes forever to load, and trying to play something like mw2 is just ridiculous. (underdeveloped game with no dedicated servers with a **** ton of traffic is a nightmare with a perfect connection)

Joe
07-01-2010, 2:39 PM
Myself and all my friends play wirelessly with the ps3. I have never experienced a disconnection that resulted from the ps3's wireless card. And my friends don't experience any problems with theirs either. Maybe your guys internet and/or wireless router just suck.

masterbush
07-01-2010, 2:39 PM
I had confrontation and that **** sucks. MW2 is way faster paced, pick that up and get ready for black ops in Nov.

windrider
07-01-2010, 2:43 PM
Myself and all my friends play wirelessly with the ps3. I have never experienced a disconnection that resulted from the ps3's wireless card. And my friends don't experience any problems with theirs either. Maybe your guys internet and/or wireless router just suck.

Do a connection test with wireless and look at the speed results and then hardwire it and look at the results, usually hardwired it about twice as fast on mine (when I have internet) it really helps during game play with something like mw2, like when you and someone both walk into a room and both fire at each other usually the kill goes to the faster connection scratch that it will always go to the faster connection because even if you both pull the trigger at the same time it will register the faster connection first and your dead by the time the game sees that your trying to shoot.

The good thing about it other than it being free is on xbl there is a lot of censorship they can ban your xbox account ps3 there is nothing like that

K_Labs
07-01-2010, 3:53 PM
SOCOM Confrontation suck, and it has been like that since day one.

Get MW2 and play with your fellow calgunners ;)

Add me, JOEK1LLA.

+1 on that one add K_Labs

masterbush
07-01-2010, 4:00 PM
I dont like the XBL vs ps network thing. I've had PS3 and havent lost service or had any complaints and its free. I ended up hardwiring mine cause I could but it did seem to get better. Your internet will make a huge difference in game play but as much as game quality, I believe someone here is selling MW2 in the market place for like 30 bucks.

masterbush
07-01-2010, 4:06 PM
Game:

http://http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=314549

shoupdawg
07-01-2010, 5:21 PM
I've played RE5, COD WAW, and Battlefield BC on PS3 just fine. I'm on wireless and at times, I have had issues with COD, but the other 2 games run fine.

I have MW2 for 360.

WaR_ClouD-VII
07-01-2010, 5:23 PM
that's because you're playing a crappy game.

grammaton76
07-01-2010, 5:24 PM
SOCOM 4 with the Move controller is going to really make you guys happy. I kinda set a record at E3, at least for the particular guy who was talking me through the hands-on demo. Given my place of employment, he thought I'd played an early copy or at least used a Move before. No - "Actually, it's just because I know how to use real guns. This is a bit more intuitive for me."

Confrontation isn't my favorite title, anyway. You might want to try MAG... although my personal favorite online title is Resistance 2 in co-op mode. Nothing like wiping out hundreds of alien zombies with an 8-man squad actually playing WITH you, instead of against you!

Juice5610
07-01-2010, 5:49 PM
xbox live is where its at but I own both consoles for totally different reasons

andrewj
07-01-2010, 6:08 PM
Confrontaion blew, I returned it the day I bought it. Try COD4, MW2, or Red Dead Redemption if you haven't already.

shoupdawg
07-01-2010, 6:21 PM
xbox live is where its at but I own both consoles for totally different reasons

Yup...my g/f uses PS3 for Blu-Ray's and XBOX for NetFlix. Although we have netflix discs for the PS3 and the Wii.

darkjedi351
07-01-2010, 7:33 PM
I have both consoles but maily play on xbox live. the ps3 controllers hurt my hands, my kids dig it for little big planet and i play some ps3 only games.
xbl is where it's at if you want to do some serious online gaming. get mw2,waw or even mw1. just wait till black ops and medal of honor comes out.

paintballergb
07-01-2010, 7:36 PM
By the time you waste your money on Xbox live, it is worth it to buy a ps3 and get a blu ray player. BTW socom sucks, it's the game. COD4, MW2, Red Dead Redemption all are very fast.

DREADNOUGHT78
07-01-2010, 7:54 PM
I loved SOCOM Confrontation but I have since started playing MW2. I tried to plat SOCOM once not to long ago and it was so slooooooooow. Havent gone back since!

slick_711
07-01-2010, 8:59 PM
Ohwell back to playing with myself! :)

That's my thoughts exactly when I'm not doing well. I can always turn the PS3 off and ... oh wait...

PS3 ≥ Xbox in my experiences with both, but they both have a pretty hardcore following so who knows. Try MW2 or COD:WAW, I've only played SOCOM briefly but it seemed the game was the problem. I have been both hardwired and wireless at times (wireless now) and I will admit I see issues with getting shot by guys I SWEAR I shot first, but that will happen on xbox too, that's a connection issue. For the most part I am happy with and enjoy playing MW2 on PS3 via wireless.

Except for when some 12 year old is spamming RPGs on hardcore the whole match and then sends me a very derogatory message saying that I was camping and I suck... what the deuce kid. But that's a whole different subject.

kozumasbullitt
07-01-2010, 9:18 PM
I play mw2 on ps3 with no issues besides all the 15 year olds swearing and idiots who blast their music into the mic. I have a 360 as well and it's a universal thing with jackholes.

kozumasbullitt
07-01-2010, 9:20 PM
That's my thoughts exactly when I'm not doing well. I can always turn the PS3 off and ... oh wait...

PS3 ≥ Xbox in my experiences with both, but they both have a pretty hardcore following so who knows. Try MW2 or COD:WAW, I've only played SOCOM briefly but it seemed the game was the problem. I have been both hardwired and wireless at times (wireless now) and I will admit I see issues with getting shot by guys I SWEAR I shot first, but that will happen on xbox too, that's a connection issue. For the most part I am happy with and enjoy playing MW2 on PS3 via wireless.

Except for when some 12 year old is spamming RPGs on hardcore the whole match and then sends me a very derogatory message saying that I was camping and I suck... what the deuce kid. But that's a whole different subject.

I love it when people call me a camper, usually guys that get killed when they are camping.

novabrian
07-01-2010, 9:21 PM
I will re rent Medal Honor MW2 to see what it's like online.

slick_711
07-01-2010, 9:29 PM
I love it when people call me a camper, usually guys that get killed when they are camping.

Oh man, I was MAD. I don't send people messages, that's always seemed silly to me and I normally laugh when I get them. But on hardcore I normally expect a little bit slower action, fewer *random* explosives and cheap shots, I know it's still a game but hardcore should be somewhat less ... (?) cheap?

This kid was spamming RPGs the whole match left and right, and on hardcore an RPG just passing you seems to kill you. I never stayed in the same place for more than 30 seconds or so: move, shoot, kill, hide, kill, move... So the match ends and I was a little frustrated, but whatever. And HE sends ME a message saying "ur campng n u f**** suk" (he misspelled the F word...). At this point I turned off the PS3 and walked away. No more afterschool time playing for me.

/endrant

Sorry, that was the only time I've been playing and really been frustrated; and you gave me an opening to vent. :D

novabrian
07-01-2010, 9:40 PM
I accidentally killed a teamate then after that he kept killing me.He killed me like 4 times until I left the game.Then I got voted out because I was still trying to figure everything out.It's funny what things people take serious in life!

adrenaline
07-01-2010, 9:43 PM
.....No more afterschool time playing for me.

/endrantI hear you. I'm usually on from Midnight on.....I played a few times when getting to go home early from work and geeeeeez....It was COD-daycare hour. (Isn't it rated Mature?)

Feel free to add me... Drenaline.

But say you are from Calguns.net. It would be neat playing with guys who have a passion for the the real guns. ;)

RideIcon
07-02-2010, 2:15 PM
If your going to do online, do xbox live

novabrian
07-02-2010, 4:54 PM
If your going to do online, do xbox live

Do you have to pay for that?

grammaton76
07-02-2010, 6:04 PM

They have a free and a pay version.

I think the free version's limited in what you can do, and just about everyone using it to play uses the pay version.

Joe
07-02-2010, 6:15 PM

If you want to play games online then you pay a recurring fee.

willw233
07-03-2010, 5:44 PM
ps3 is freeeeeeeee. so its good

Marsoc1
07-03-2010, 6:59 PM
ps3 is gonna start charging too

lil' gunsim
07-03-2010, 7:16 PM
PSN Plus anyone??? I'm thinking about getting a three-month subscription when there's more content out for the Plus...

SnWnMe
07-04-2010, 2:54 PM
If you can hardwire it, the wifi inside the ps3 is really crappy compared to any modern wifi device. I get my internet from a neighbor mine is so slow to do anything online, it took over 24hrs to download Training day in hd, netflix takes forever to load, and trying to play something like mw2 is just ridiculous. (underdeveloped game with no dedicated servers with a **** ton of traffic is a nightmare with a perfect connection)

Let me see if I am following this correctly: The PS3 wifi sucks because it takes you forever to DL content from your connection but when you use your neighbor's connection it is fast?

SnWnMe
07-04-2010, 3:00 PM
@ the OP. Get MW2. Join us. PSN: SnWnMe.

faterikcartman
07-04-2010, 3:16 PM
MW2 on XBL = problem solved (for the most part anyway :rolleyes:)

grammaton76
07-04-2010, 3:28 PM
ps3 is gonna start charging too

Only if you want the "Plus" content.

All your online gameplay related features remain free.

DaveFJ80
07-05-2010, 12:40 AM
MW2 + PS3 = FTW :) lots of fun.

PS3 + YLOD = FTMFL! :mad: just got this last week, so no PS3 right now.

POINTMANDDT
07-05-2010, 8:56 AM
ps3 is freeeeeeeee. so its good

And during the blue-ray HD DVD wars who had an epic fail.........XBOX lmao

2DoorImpala
07-06-2010, 7:49 PM
MW2 + PS3 = FTW :) lots of fun.

PS3 + YLOD = FTMFL! :mad: just got this last week, so no PS3 right now.

too bad your too far away, i can help a gunner to fix it. its an easy fix

Sinister_1
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Ohwell back to playing with myself! :)

I dont think you should advertise....LOL

windrider
07-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Let me see if I am following this correctly: The PS3 wifi sucks because it takes you forever to DL content from your connection but when you use your neighbor's connection it is fast?

no, read more than the first two posts

Sinister_1
07-08-2010, 2:40 PM
But then again, what did you really expect for a free service....

windrider
07-08-2010, 2:45 PM
But then again, what did you really expect for a free service....

I dont expect anything else, i was explaining it really sucks on wifi with bad wifi and the other post I was explaining how if you do a connection test with wireless and one with it hardwired you can see the speed difference is dramatically different, that was when I had internet.

JDay
07-08-2010, 2:55 PM
I dont expect anything else, i was explaining it really sucks on wifi with bad wifi and the other post I was explaining how if you do a connection test with wireless and one with it hardwired you can see the speed difference is dramatically different, that was when I had internet.

You'll notice the same thing with the 360 since wireless has higher latency than a wired connection. The PS3 has a good online gaming experience, in fact they even have achievements just like the 360 does. The only real difference is that you have to pay to play online with the 360.

JDay
07-08-2010, 3:00 PM

You do realize that the further you are from the base station the slower your connection right? You can remedy this by getting a base station and two directional antennas. You setup the base station in your house as a repeater, hook one of the directional antennas up to it and the other to your neighbors base station and aim them at each other. Your signal strength will increase many times over. Although this will be difficult to do if your neighbor has no knowledge of you using their wireless.

JDay
07-08-2010, 3:02 PM
the ps3 controllers hurt my hands

You can buy Xbox style controllers for the PS3.

richzmn
07-08-2010, 6:07 PM
Make sure you have a good signal? There's no reason to have long load times?

Play Red Dead Redemption

Play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Play Call of Duty World at War

Play Battlefield Bad Company 2

Socom sucks, Xbox sucks

PS3 is free, PS3 plus has some extra stuff that's not required

Your probably going to get killed by friend or foe many times, that's just the way it go's.

I've been playning Red Dead a lot lately. I kill off guys 20 times in a row for no reason, they leave and maybe they don't come back?