PDA

View Full Version : Question about California Approved Safes...

radioactivelego
04-08-2006, 2:36 PM
From what I understand, if I own a safe of some kind, and present the receipt for it to the FFL I purchase a firearm from, I am exempt from buying a gun lock?

Do they keep track of how many times you show this receipt? If I buy 14 guns will this force me to buy another safe due to mine only holding 14? Or can I just buy a handgun mini-vault and be done with it...

Bobshouse
04-09-2006, 2:05 PM
You don't even have to show the receipt. You can sign an affidavit stating that you own an approved safe and walk away with your firearm.

Bob

Inkman
04-09-2006, 3:49 PM
You don't even have to show the receipt. You can sign an affidavit stating that you own an approved safe and walk away with your firearm.

Bob

Not at Big 5. When i bought my m91/30, they demanded to see the receipt or sell me a gun lock. They even made a copy of the receipt. Pinole Big 5. YMMV.

Al

SkyStorm82
04-09-2006, 8:49 PM
Not at Big 5. When i bought my m91/30, they demanded to see the receipt or sell me a gun lock. They even made a copy of the receipt. Pinole Big 5. YMMV.

Al

I don't recall having to show mine there when I bought a rifle from them. I'm curious about his second question though. I would think that they don't, but who knows here in this state.

wuhungsix
04-10-2006, 3:18 AM
I have never showed a reciept. Just signed the Affidavit, no questions asked.

TonyM
04-10-2006, 10:29 AM
I have never showed a reciept. Just signed the Affidavit, no questions asked.

+1

Fill out the Affidavit with make/model, my info and sign it.

snobordr
04-10-2006, 12:24 PM

Al

Those guys are complete chuckleheads. I live in Pinole myself and have dealt with them a couple of times unfortunately.

Inkman
04-10-2006, 4:26 PM
Bought my Glock 34 and had no safe, hence the gun lock. Bought the safe and then a SA1911 and they just asked if i had a safe. Maybe i signed the affidavit and don't remember? No asking for the receipt then either. Then bought the M91/30 at Big5 where they said i needed to have the receipt for the safe and they needed to make a copy of the receipt also. Oh well...just my experiences between a sporting goods store and actual gun dealers i guess.

Al

Nak
04-10-2006, 9:23 PM
I have never been asked if I had a lock or a safe for any of my guns.

Joe
04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Those guys are complete chuckleheads. I live in Pinole myself and have dealt with them a couple of times unfortunately.

another member from pinole here, i was just over there to buy ammo a couple days ago. expensive as hell, i should have figured

snobordr
04-11-2006, 11:30 AM
another member from pinole here, i was just over there to buy ammo a couple days ago. expensive as hell, i should have figured

I was tempted to go to them for a PPT on an unlisted lower, figure they are an FFL and cannot refuse.

Then I thought better of it, I seriously doubt Pinole PD has a sense of humor.

bwiese
04-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Warning: If you store a gun at home, and through no fault of your own it falls into the hands of children, and someone gets hurt, you can have commited the crime of "criminal storage of a firearm", which can send you to the slammer for a year.

Only if you let the kid(s) in and/or are grossly negligent (leaving your doors and windows open/unlocked while on vacation). If there' no expectation of kids visiting and

If you're single, etc. and have no kids in the house or visiting the house you won't have 'criminal storage' issues if some under-18 punks break in to your house, as 12035(c) serves as an antidote to 12035(b)(1) and 12035(b)(2):

12035(c) Subdivision (b) shall not apply whenever any of the following occurs:
(1) The child obtains the firearm as a result of an illegal entry to any premises by
any person.
(7) The person who keeps a loaded firearm on any premise that is under his or
her custody or control has no reasonable expectation, based on objective facts
and circumstances, that a child is likely to be present on the premises.

rips31
04-11-2006, 1:28 PM
i bought my sig and filled out the affidavit. heck, the guy didn't even care what the make/model was.