PDA

View Full Version : OC CCW -- apply or class first?

Apeman88
04-08-2006, 2:45 AM
From a few threads on this forum and at packing.org... people are recommending taking the class first then apply for the permit. But on OCSD's website, they are recommending getting pre-approved first before taking a CCW class. Which is it? What advantage do taking the class first gives me? Will they help in filling in the CCW app? I took a look at the app and most are standard name,address, are you a felon questions... the "reason" section (section 7) is used during the interview to be filled in by the OCSD interviewer.

Also, I think I have good enough reason... but don't have any recommendation letters from LE... how important are the recommendation letters?

Ken

Benellishooter
04-08-2006, 7:44 AM
Apply first. That is what they ask. That is what I did.

They may interpret you taking the class as you assuming you will be approved. I was treated very fairly by my interviewer. I think they like people that follow the rules.

- of course, all of America should be Vermont style carry based on the constitution.

m1371
04-08-2006, 10:33 AM
I would suggest attending the class first, for various reasons.

Granted, it could be construed by some as putting the cart before the horse and wasting money in the event you do not get approved for your ccw. I can see it from that perspective.

I took the CA CCW class offered by Firearms Training Associates (http://www.ftatv.com/) after I had submitted my application to OCSD.

As I've suggested before, attending a ccw licensing class isn't a total waste of cash based on the information you will get from it regardless. The 2-day class I took when I originally applied for my ccw covered a lot of the general firearms laws before getting into the exceptions allowed by a ccw permit. It also addressed what OCSD viewed as various justifications for requesting a permit (i.e.- this reason is good to go but this reason will not fly).

The fact that FTA's classes are taught by LEOs does give you a little more straight scoop on how law enforcement views the interpretation of Kali's gun laws. It also helps dispel the myth that all LEOs are anti-gun and/or gun ignorant.

Taking the class first "might" have made the application process easier, as I would have had a little more insight on the whole application process. I dealt with many months of BS from OCSD's "Professional Standards Division" when I should have gone straight to Sheriff Carona in the first place. It seemed the biggest obstacle to getting approved was the female investigator handling my application, not Sheriff Carona's policy on whether to issue or not. Talking with FTA's instructors cleared up a few things and made me realize how I should have gone about putting in the application.

And to provide a counterpoint to Benellishooter's thoughts..... Just because you have already taken the class doesn't mean you are assuming you will be approved. My view on it is that you are simply educating yourself about Kalifornia's myriad firearms laws and the whole ccw application process.

In a nutshell, it comes down to what the individual wants to do. There are good justifications either way for attending a ccw class either before or after you start the application process. Think it through and go from there.

Benellishooter
04-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Interesting. Maybe take the class and don't mention it during your interview. I have had my CCW 3 years. I took the CCW class at FTA originally. I was appalled at the lack of knowledge that the instructor had regarding Cali CCW laws. It was the blind leading the blind. To be fair, Bill did not teach the class. He had a substitute. Make sure Bill is teaching the class! He knows his stuff.

The only downside to FTA is that there seems to be alot of attitude from the students. I have not found Bill to be that way. But, I distinctly recognized the abundance of guns school groupie, mall ninja, psuedo soldier wanna bees there.

m1371
04-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Interesting. Maybe take the class and don't mention it during your interview. I have had my CCW 3 years. I took the CCW class at FTA originally. I was appalled at the lack of knowledge that the instructor had regarding Cali CCW laws. It was the blind leading the blind. To be fair, Bill did not teach the class. He had a substitute. Make sure Bill is teaching the class! He knows his stuff.

The only downside to FTA is that there seems to be alot of attitude from the students. I have not found Bill to be that way. But, I distinctly recognized the abundance of guns school groupie, mall ninja, psuedo soldier wanna bees there.

Ditto on BOTH points.

IMO the investigator does not need to know whether you've taken the class already or not. It has no bearing on the investigation and they "should" have no reason to ask. Only give them what they require, nothing more.

And Murph definitely knows his ***** when it comes to teaching the ccw class. "Okay, this is what the law says..... this is what it means.....". Good guy, definitely on our side as far as firearms ownership goes.

The variety of students in his classes I think is indicative of the amount of good word of mouth FTA gets on the quality of their classes. FTA offers good training for the price and also a wide range of classes. Unfortunately by casting such a wide net..... a wide range of individuals start showing up.

I simply look at it as an opportunity to get a good look at the cross-section of "firearms enthusiasts" in Kalifornia (the good, the bad and the ugly).

And yeah, I've called out a couple of wanna-be types who have claimed hsld military backgrounds ("okay, so which motor-t unit was your classified sniper platoon part of again?" :rolleyes: ).

None of this should detract from FTA's quality of training. You only take away from the classes what you want to learn.

That's one reason why I advocate all firearms owners taking a ccw class at some point. Putting forth the extra effort and the $$$ to attend a ccw class, regardless of whether you're getting a permit or not, can be enough motivation to take the class more seriously and soak up good info. Could also be that little push over the edge into actually submitting the application anyway.

The more knowledge the better.

Benellishooter
04-08-2006, 3:04 PM
For my second CCW qualification, I took another CCW class from a different instructor. It was mostly retired law enforcement. I don't know how to put into words how scary it was. I was covered by various weapons at least six times during the weapons inspection check. Then, we had to qualify at three ridiculously close distances (5',7',10') at a man size target. I am not lying. These people were all over the place. Off paper and on paper. You had to shoot 50 rounds and hit the target 70% of the time. It was sooo boring, I just decided to do head shots. Each time I got a new target, I tried to make "happy faces" with my bullets.

I know we all have the right to keep and bear arms. But, some people have no business around them.

(This was not FTA. Bill's class was safe at least).

Apeman88
04-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I don't mind spending the $$ for training even if I don;t get the CCW as, like you all said,... it's good training anyway... just not sure if OCSD frowns on it or not.

I've been checking out FTA for a few months and might take other courses there first to familar myself with them and the training process and will decide if I should apply first or train for CCW first afterwards. Besides, I still want to add a springfield Ultra Compact to my collection for CCW so that'll take a few weeks :D

Thanks again.

Ken