PDA

View Full Version : Verizon to Offer the IPhone in January

XYZ
06-29-2010, 7:38 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2010-06-30-iphone30_ST_N.htm

Bloomberg News
Verizon Wireless will start selling Apple's iPhone next year, ending AT&T's U.S. exclusive on the phone, say two people familiar with the plans.
The device will be available to customers in January, according to the people, who declined to be named because the information isn't public. Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, and Jeffrey Nelson, a Verizon Wireless spokesman, declined to comment. AT&T also declined to comment. USA TODAY was unable to independently verify the reports.

Speculation on a Verizon iPhone has been rampant in the tech blogosphere. If the reports are true, the iPhone, which has been the sole domain of rival AT&T in the U.S. since June 2007, will give Verizon a boost in its smartphone competition, UBS analyst John Hodulik says. Verizon customers, who numbered 92.8 million at the end of the first quarter, may buy 3 million iPhones a quarter, he says.

"Apple is going to dramatically increase the number of devices it sells in the U.S. when exclusivity at AT&T ends," Hodulik says. "It's hard to ignore the quality issues that AT&T has faced."

Verizon Wireless, which is building a high-speed fourth-generation network, plans to unveil several devices that will run on the new technology in January at the Consumer Electronics Show, CEO Lowell McAdam has said. Verizon's CDMA-based wireless network differs from the GSM technology AT&T's network is based on.

The iPhone has helped AT&T add subscribers even as the U.S. mobile-phone market nears saturation. In the first three months of this year, about a third of AT&T's iPhone activations came from customers new to the carrier. Without those 900,000 new subscribers, AT&T might have posted a loss in contract customers that quarter, analysts say.

bigmike82
06-29-2010, 7:45 PM
That would be cool. I'm unconvinced until I hear it directly from Apple or Verizon, but it would be cool.

C.W.M.V.
06-29-2010, 7:50 PM
they've been talking about it for a long time, so well see if it actually pans out. Seems to be the death knell of AT&T.
Either way it wont matter to me. My next phone will be BB Storm 3, and Im loving my Storm 2 until then.

Doheny
06-29-2010, 7:52 PM
Saw on the news this morning that 1.4 (or maybe it was 1.7) million Iphone 4's have been sold so far.

50CalAL
06-29-2010, 8:40 PM
Yeah, I'm tired of reading about the iphone coming to verizon, waiting and then nothing. I believe it when it comes from Verizon/Apple. Till then I'm looking on getting into the Droid X.

JDay
06-29-2010, 9:29 PM
Saw on the news this morning that 1.4 (or maybe it was 1.7) million Iphone 4's have been sold so far.

Which is about how many 3G and 3GS models they replaced.

JDay
06-29-2010, 9:31 PM
Yeah, I'm tired of reading about the iphone coming to verizon, waiting and then nothing. I believe it when it comes from Verizon/Apple. Till then I'm looking on getting into the Droid X.

It cracks me up every time I hear this, the electric kool-aid must be strong that all the iPhone fanboys stick with AT&T and dream of the day the iPhone will come to Verizon. They should all just switch and get an Android phone already. Although they wouldn't be trendy hipsters then.

dfxjedi
06-29-2010, 9:38 PM
cool

RudyN
06-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Both my wife's and my contract with Verizon will expire this year. I was thinking of getting us new phones soon, but just may wait a bit and see what happens. The phones we have right now work fine.

NiteQwill
06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
The way Apple releases things, most won't know until the actual release day.

JDay, seriously, you sound like the Brady Group every time you come into an iPhone thread. Come on.

Marsoc1
06-29-2010, 11:36 PM
4th time ive seen this, ill wait til another prototype is lost and found thats built with a cdma module lol

Sillyguy
06-30-2010, 9:19 AM
It's on CEA too.

I'll be glad when it comes to VErizon so people will leave AT&T and go there! haha

StephenhDMRS
06-30-2010, 9:31 AM
It's been said a lot. Oh well. With all the phones nowadays the Iphone is really doing catchup with a lot of the android phones. I have the HTC Eric and I love it... I think it's just as good as the Iphone. I played with the HTC Incredible and damn that phone is nice. It does everything better than the Iphone.

Marsoc1
06-30-2010, 1:33 PM
i wanna play with the droid x, that looks awesome there, battery doesnt look promising tho. Honestly with all these rumors and how people jump the gun when one of these articles comes out, im actually hoping it doesnt come on vzw so everyone would be sad lol

Beldin
06-30-2010, 4:56 PM
Last I remember the exclusive that AT&T had was five years. So maybe in 2012? See the link below as this article confirms the 5 year deal...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/10/confirmed-apple-and-atandt-signed-five-year-iphone-exclusivity-de/

Here is the paragraph for those that do not want to click...

The term of Apple and AT&T's iPhone exclusivity deal has long been a mystery -- although USA Today reported a five-year arrangement when the original iPhone came out in 2007, that number has never been independently confirmed, and it's been looking suspect in recent weeks as Verizon iPhone chatter has gotten louder. But we've been doing some digging and we can now confirm that Apple and AT&T entered into a five-year iPhone exclusive in 2007, based on court documents filed by Apple in California. Read on!