PDA

View Full Version : What info/help can you give to gte a CCW in San Bernadino County?

NeoWeird
04-07-2006, 5:15 PM
Alright, I've checked out www.packing.org many times but I was never able to find the information I am looking for. For those of you who are Arfcom members you may recall a while ago asking about what could be done about my fiancee's ex-boyfriend who had been threatening us both (even to the point of murder in a couple emails that I saved). Well yesterday while leaving work he was driving by as I was pulling out and tried to hit my truck with his car. Luckily, I let my truck roll back off the road so he missed, but he did attempt to. I also happen to be mutual friends with the passenger in his car and I am sure I can get a notarzied statement from him saying that the ex-boyfriend did attempt to hit me with his car and that it was intentional (I haven't had a chance to talk to him, but a second friend told me that the friend who was a passenger was scared like never before because he thought we were going to hit, we only missed by a couple inches). Needless to say, I am tired of this crap, and since it is only getting worse I can only imagine it will stay that way until something bad happens. This is also not to mention that he has anger problems (has had anger counciling before), gets very violent when he drinks, and I am sure the fact that my fiancee and I are about to officially announce that we are getting married to our family and friends is going to only cause more problems; except now he will have a reason to aim them at her just as much as me (he seems like the "If I can't have her..." types).

So I need to get everything together and go through with this. I need to know who I need to contact (Gary Penrod is SB's Chief Sheriff, do I need to contact him or the head of my local Sheriff Station?)? What forms do I need to request and fill out? What information should I gather? Anyone have a link to a schedule of the CCW classes? etc.

I just got off work and need to run to school now, but I will anser any questions I can once I get back. Also, if it helps, I am not physically afraid of him one on one, he is a coward and kind of a wuss (he tried to fight me before, he hit me several times and I just walked away because he was hitting me softly so I thought it was a joke, turns out it was serious) but I am VERY afraid for my family and the family of my fiancee because as I said, he drinks and has anger problems. I remember in school be brought a metal bat to a fist fight. That's the type of person he is (a ****ing coward to the bone, but still stupid enough to go through with it).

Please help me get this so I don't need to worry anymore.

bg
04-07-2006, 5:39 PM
If you're in the county, Penrod is the man. If living in a
city with a police dept, you start there.

Oh heck..I just noticed you're in Yucaipa. Start
at 5th Street at the Police Dept. I haven't myself
tried to get one here, but I have a feeling the
local police aren't too keen on giving out a CCW.

However if you go to John's Guns on 4th and ask
they may be able to help you a bit. Tell them
the story. I think ex or reserve Sheriffs are
also the owners or owner. You'll notice John
pretty quick. He's kinda tall. Also if ya
got a few bucks buy a box of ammo or
something to help support the only
local gun shop in town..If ya don't mind.

Good luck

NeoWeird
04-07-2006, 10:41 PM
If you're in the county, Penrod is the man. If living in a
city with a police dept, you start there.

Oh heck..I just noticed you're in Yucaipa. Start
at 5th Street at the Police Dept. I haven't myself
tried to get one here, but I have a feeling the
local police aren't too keen on giving out a CCW.

However if you go to John's Guns on 4th and ask
they may be able to help you a bit. Tell them
the story. I think ex or reserve Sheriffs are
also the owners or owner. You'll notice John
pretty quick. He's kinda tall. Also if ya
got a few bucks buy a box of ammo or
something to help support the only
local gun shop in town..If ya don't mind.

Good luck

:mad: I refuse to use Big John's after I was HORRIBLY wronged there when I went there to buy some guns a couple years back. I would rather drive 30 minutes to Turner's and pay more for everything than drive for 3 minutes and go to Big John's.

As for the PD on 5th street, that is a Sheriff Station, isn't it? Would they themselves be able to issue the license, or would I need to go to the head office and talk with Penrod himself? I also take it you are fairly familiar with the area, do you know if there are any CCW classes offered in the area? The closests ones I have seen are in like Orange County, so I am sure I just haven't seen the local ones yet.

And I'm sorry if you are affiliated/friends with John's, I just refuse to use them.

x2delight
04-07-2006, 11:32 PM
:mad: I refuse to use Big John's after I was HORRIBLY wronged there when I went there to buy some guns a couple years back. I would rather drive 30 minutes to Turner's and pay more for everything than drive for 3 minutes and go to Big John's.

As for the PD on 5th street, that is a Sheriff Station, isn't it? Would they themselves be able to issue the license, or would I need to go to the head office and talk with Penrod himself? I also take it you are fairly familiar with the area, do you know if there are any CCW classes offered in the area? The closests ones I have seen are in like Orange County, so I am sure I just haven't seen the local ones yet.

And I'm sorry if you are affiliated/friends with John's, I just refuse to use them.

go to san bernardino Sheriff head quarters.. iam gonna be applying for ccw soon also. i live in mentone. which is unincorporated so its county.

NeoWeird
04-08-2006, 12:46 AM
go to san bernardino Sheriff head quarters.. iam gonna be applying for ccw soon also. i live in mentone. which is unincorporated so its county.

I know I need to go to the Sheriff's, but I know I also need to take in the pistols I plan to carry (up to 3) in order that they be inspected, serial recorded, and so I can be tested with them. The problem is I am fairly positive it is a felony to take a firearm into a Sheriff's Station or Police Department, so how then do you do that? I would assume I take them in after the application is submitted and an appointment is placed, but that's the type of clearification I want to get.

Does anyone know the EXACT title of the form I need to get. I want to be able to request the exact form I need when I get it so there isn't any confussion. Also, has anyone been issued a CCW in SB county? Did you have any issues or problems getting it?

It would also be nice to hear from some of the more law savvy people to hear what they think my chances are of getting one. I am going to apply either way, but it would be nice to have some expectations.

big jon
04-08-2006, 7:34 AM
I got my app from the maine sherrifs office in sanberdo cith forgot the directions, just walk in and ask the officer at the frount desk he will direct you to the office around the corner they will give you tour #APP, IT COMES WITH DIRECTIONS, just fallow them. good luck

drawn
04-08-2006, 8:34 AM
The Sheriffs may tell you to get a restraining order, they will say it will help. Allot of times out of retaliation the restricted will pull an order on you as well. If you value your gun rights you don't want a restaining order placed on you.

x2delight
04-08-2006, 8:55 AM
dont walk into the sheriffs station with guns.. you will die....instead get the application packet first and see what it says. i should be doing this in the next month or so.

rkt88edmo
04-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Please help me get this so I don't need to worry anymore.

This kinda reminds me of your arfcom post. It really sounds like a "talisman" statement.

Training will help you. Stay safe.

bg
04-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your experience at Johns.
I don't know where a local CCW class is. All the
above posts sound like they know what's going
on, but my only concern is the fact you live
here in Yucaipa, and it has it's own Police. If
I remember correctly you have to start the process
with the city's police, but to be sure a call should
be made to them on Monday..On the other hand
I believe the Police and Sheriff Dept are the mostly
the same thing

http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=AsZ8f3pdk.EFxE2jYonyn9yHNcIF;_ylu=X3o DMTBpZzIyMjd0BF9zAzk2NjEzNzY5BHNlYwNzcg--?id=20959089&state=CA&city=Yucaipa&stx=police+dept&csz=Yucaipa%2C+CA+92399&fr=dd-local-more&ed=MHkcka131DzbA_EBGl.7mtPZlPXxXjd4DfxCL8frQThWMRJ j7ToYSEm0&lcscb=a2k%2FieKSSnU

As far as going to the Sheriff's Dept with a firearm,
I think that would be a VERY bad idea..Just call and
ask them what the procedure is as has been mentioned
in above posts.
bg

Richard
04-08-2006, 1:03 PM
You have a tough situation anyway you cut it......the guy sounds like some insecure A hole.....here is what I would do. This may or may not work and the outcome will be determined by the guys true intent(real or just posturing). You need to make this an official complaint with the police (especially if you have e-mails showing this guys murder threats) and your fiancee needs to make the same complaint. Have them document the haraassment and try and get your mutual friend to coraborate the story. If you and fiancee need to take it to a restraining order ,so be it.

Point is you need to show(build a case) that you made every effort to avoid confrontation ,but No amount of documentaion is going to keep you out of the can if you're involved in an inproper confrontaion. "KNOW THAT"

If the chances of running into this clown are due to mutual friends,you may want to consider limiting the contact. I mean what kind of people want to hang with an unstable A hole like this.

I don't think you have "just cause" for a CCW(consider other reasons), but I do think you have a case for "terrorist threat" with regards to those e-mails and a history of harrassment (regardless I would still go thru the motion of trying to get one,again documentation).....I'm not going to tell you to carry without a permit, you need to make that call.

This is a complicated thing so think it out ,the situation(series of events) is going to determine whether carrying illegal or defending your life is going to keep you out of jail. (also to what degree the threat is percieved)

GOOD LUCK,keep a clear head and practice.

as far as applying go to the Sherriff main office on 3rd st east of waterman and get a CCW packet. You will need to take in your guns in a locked case once your approved. You don't need to qualify with the guns, just take a 4 hour saftey course and all the background investigation that goes with it including an interview (this is where they size you up)

NeoWeird
04-08-2006, 6:17 PM
This kinda reminds me of your arfcom post. It really sounds like a "talisman" statement.

Training will help you. Stay safe.

Not really sure what you mean by Talisman statement, but in regards to the arfcom post, I made it just before my 21st birthday to get my information together in regards to it. There hadn't been any threat or contact with her ex-boyfriend in the two months or so before my 21st birthday, and my fiancee pleaded with me to not apply. I agreed I wouldn't, even though it was against my better judgment. Now even she agrees it might be a good idea to get it, though she has asked to not let her know when I am carrying if I do get it.

And bg, are you sure Yucaipa has it's own Police? The couple times that I have had to have any LEO come out (most of the time for our business being vandalized/robbed) it was always sheriff and I only know of the Sheriff's Station on the corner of Yucaipa Blvd and 5th St. Also when I sent in my C&R application I sent it to Penrod and was told by another person in the area that he was the one I needed to send it to since this area is not incorporated.

Also, a restraining order would not be good in my situation. Both my fiancee and I have moved more than once since either of us last had contact with him so he doesn't know where we live, and I would like to keep it that way. Getting a restraining order would basically just give him directions for the next time he is in one of his rages. Also, when I first posted this on arfcom a couple months ago someone in the know (I forget if it was a LEO or a lawyer, I think it was a guy by the name of NFAlawyer) warned that chances are I wouldn't be able to get a restraining order even if I tried because they are less likely to issue it to a man than a woman, and unless they had proof to show that his threats were more than just idle it would be a challenge for me to get it.

The want to carry doesn't stem from a 'want to kill him before he kills me' mentality. Like I said, the guy is a coward but if he gets puffed up and thinks he is hard or is with other people, he will try to do something to show off or prove something. A pistol pulled on him, or even a warning shot into the ground even if far away from him, would be enough to jolt him to his senses enough that he would run away, even if heavily intoxicated. He is the type of guy with the mentality of "I have the bigger weapon, so I am stronger and will win". Pretty much it will take a firearm pointed at him to backdown if he has a knife, bat, etc. It's more of stacking the deck in my favor to make him back down.

Monday I am planning on going down to Riverside to DROS my (hopefully last) lot of lowers, and I'll probably just swing in and grab one on my way there. Is there any other suggestions to help prove my case to the Sheriff? I was under the impression that SB was basically everything but shall issue and that if you could prove a need above and beyond "for protection in general" then you would be issued one. Is that wrong? What else can I do? Someone once said that bringing in range reports or competition results would help show that you are a responsible shooter with practice and training; anyone know if that is true or if it works in California (I think I read it in regards to a general CCW question)?

NeoWeird
04-08-2006, 6:37 PM
bg, I found this:

http://www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/sheriff/office_loc/stations/YucaipaPD/YucaipaPD.asp

It would appear that the term 'Police Department' is used loosey to refer to themselves as the policing department of the area, but as you can see, it is still the Sheriff.

x2delight
04-08-2006, 7:39 PM
ok... ill atleast state the right fact. yucaipa city does not have A "Police Department"

they contract with sb sheriff.. so the sheriff station on 5th and yucaipa might be able to help. if not they will send u to the headquarters..

bg
04-08-2006, 8:10 PM
Yea you're right. I kinda linked to that in my second
post. At one time there wasn't even a Sheriff here.
Lets just say I've been here a LONG time.

I hope you can get things worked out.