PDA

View Full Version : Doing a bunny hunt this w/e. Looking for cohorts.

r3dn3ck
06-29-2010, 11:26 AM
There's good places for bunny hunting on BLM land out in the deserts east of Bakersfield. I'm planning a trip for this weekend. It's going to be a .22LR and shotgun ONLY event. I'd like 3-4 others to go. Plan on arriving at the hunt site Friday night and spending the whole day Saturday and probably Sunday busting bunnies. We've got a whole desert to ourselves this weekend.

If you're interested in going then PM me. People with 4wd vehicles get preference.

Don't have to worry about lead restrictions if you're hunting only upland game which is pretty much all there is out there (ref: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/). There are coyotes out there which DO require non-lead ammo (and not having any lead ammo in your possession at the time) if you plan to take them.

I've hunted with a few people from CG and had positive experiences so far. Let's keep the trend going.

r3dn3ck
06-30-2010, 9:01 AM
Got 1 possible, anyone else?

professionalcoyotehunter
06-30-2010, 9:07 AM
Don't have to worry about lead restrictions if you're hunting only upland game which is pretty much all there is out there (ref: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/). There are coyotes out there which DO require non-lead ammo (and not having any lead ammo in your possession at the time) if you plan to take them.

Since jackrabbits are Resident small game and lead free .22lr ammo is now available it will have to be used in all condors.

r3dn3ck
06-30-2010, 1:39 PM
heheh... wording fail.

BTW, awwww... crap. I'll have to find some. That's gunna suck. I need a better map of the condor area anyway. I don't think I'll be in it.

Ok.. looks like Zone D10 ends at either 138 or 395. In any case, I'll be east of that and not in condor country. Neener. So, bring that lead boys! Who's in?

FYI: we'll be in D17.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-30-2010, 1:45 PM
There was a bunch of it when it first came out so I was like hey I will just wait till payday. All of a sudden I can only find the leaded and all the lead free has been gone for months. If you are far enough to the east I think you will be okay. I think east of the 395 is the zone that you dont need it but dont quote me on that. You can also hunt between the 99 and the 5 if you know anywhere decent in there to go or know someone.

This should help.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/

r3dn3ck
06-30-2010, 2:16 PM
yeah, I'll be east of 395 a bit. You wanna come? It's not far from AV.

Annonymous
06-30-2010, 9:14 PM
So can you use lead for jackrabbits in the condor zone?

Cougar125
06-30-2010, 11:41 PM
So can you use lead for jackrabbits in the condor zone?
It would appear so.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/LeadInformation.pdf
Rimfire firearms are not legal in California for hunting big game or for depredation killing
of big game animals (these are primarily deer and wild pig in condor range).
Rimfire firearms are legal for nongame animals (coyotes and ground squirrels primarily)
and for sport hunting of small game mammals [hares (jackrabbits), cottontail, and tree
squirrel]. However, for nongame animals the Commission has prohibited use of lead
projectiles in .22 rimfire or smaller firearms as part of this regulation change in condor
range.
The Commission has not addressed the issue of hunting small game mammals because
that section of the regulations was not “opened” for potential change. Therefore, hunters
can legally hunt jackrabbit, cottontail, and tree squirrel using lead projectiles, but not
ground squirrels in the same area. Part of the reasoning for this is that unlike nongame
animals that are hunted and usually left in the field, game species must be retrieved and not wasted.
The Department and Commission are of the understanding that non-lead projectiles for
rimfire are not readily available or manufactured at this time and that the only non-lead
rimfire is in .22 caliber magnum, and not for the very popular .22 short, long, or long rifle.

r3dn3ck
07-01-2010, 7:35 AM
Well.. I'm still going solo at this point. If any of you want to join up let me know. I'm bringing 1000rds of .22 and a few boxes of 12/20ga ammo of various sorts.

cmon guys, it'll be a blast!

elevated
07-01-2010, 9:51 AM
I might be in for this. But, I'd have to meet you up early sat morning or late fri night. Crap, and I just realized I don't have a scope for my 22lr. Hey man PM me your cell so I can text you if anything.

Cougar125
07-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I'd be down, but the girlfriend wants to do something. :/ I'll trade not going on this one outing for a full August-December hassle free hunting for me.

Vtec44
07-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Dang, I'd love to go but you're too far from me. I'm in Fontana, CA. Can you PM me the approximate location to see how far is the drive for me?

professionalcoyotehunter
07-01-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd be down, but the girlfriend wants to do something. :/ I'll trade not going on this one outing for a full August-December hassle free hunting for me.

PW'd huh. Oh well it happens to us all at some point.

GVOllie
07-01-2010, 2:06 PM
I'm doing one up north here this weekend, and it seems everybody else is booked with holiday weekend plans as well. Don't feel bad r3dn3ck, more bunnies for us. There is a group hunt at Grizzly Island next weekend I might get in on as well.

Armory XT
07-01-2010, 3:12 PM
remember the days when you didnt need a PHD just to understand hunting laws. you could actually spend time shooting and hunting and not being a lawyer

r3dn3ck
07-01-2010, 3:29 PM
I might be in for this. But, I'd have to meet you up early sat morning or late fri night. Crap, and I just realized I don't have a scope for my 22lr. Hey man PM me your cell so I can text you if anything.

I'm going to be there friday afternoon/evening through sometime Sunday. Iron sights are fine too :) PM'd.

Dang, I'd love to go but you're too far from me. I'm in Fontana, CA. Can you PM me the approximate location to see how far is the drive for me?
Barstow, CA. It's about a 1.5-2 hour drive for you to the exact spot. 2 hours if traffic is bad.

I'm doing one up north here this weekend, and it seems everybody else is booked with holiday weekend plans as well. Don't feel bad r3dn3ck, more bunnies for us. There is a group hunt at Grizzly Island next weekend I might get in on as well.
Where you going? CC? Come on down with me... I been up north a bunch lately and there's nothing in the way of bunnies out. A few squirrels. Folks tell me it's better out in the Mojave. No surprise with the spring bunny population explosion.

remember the days when you didnt need a PHD just to understand hunting laws. you could actually spend time shooting and hunting and not being a lawyer
Don't get me started.

Big Jake
07-01-2010, 3:43 PM
Post pics of dead bunnies. I want to see lot's of carnage!

Butthead
07-01-2010, 3:49 PM
OK, I'm confused (happens alot). Is this in Bakersfield or Barstow cause there about 130 miles apart.

Barbarossa
07-01-2010, 3:55 PM
Hey, how are you guys preparing the rabbits? Doing a BBQ or something?

(or are these jackrabbits?)

Vtec44
07-01-2010, 4:03 PM
OK, I'm confused (happens alot). Is this in Bakersfield or Barstow cause there about 130 miles apart.

He said east of Bakersfield, but Barstow is WAY south. Damn it, I want to go either way. I gotta check if the wife can take the car in for service instead of me. DOH!

Butthead
07-01-2010, 4:07 PM
Google maps shows it mostly east... but thats alot of east

junko p
07-01-2010, 5:11 PM
I would go but i got pigs on my mind

DirtyDave
07-01-2010, 8:51 PM
I would go but I think I'm heading up to the Kern this weekend. Taking the 22 and the bowfishing gear.

Vtec44
07-01-2010, 9:05 PM
Damn it I can't go after all. Wife will be busy with the kids and I have an appointment to take my car in for a major service. Have fun. :(

r3dn3ck
07-02-2010, 7:05 AM
K. I'm leaving work at 11 and then heading out. I should be there about 5-6pm. Here's the coordinates for anyone that wants to go.

35 15 13.33N 117 36 33.29W

It's about 19 miles north of 58 on 395. There's not a lot of roads there so you'll know. Head east for about 1000yrds and I should be camped there.

FRS channel 4 privacy-channel 0. If that has chatter on it then the backup is to use channel 4 and privacy-channel 19.

For those of you in L.A. or the surrounding area, it's only about 2 hours from you. You can feel free to pop up for a few hours or a full day or the weekend. Bring LOTS of water and wear boots. There'll probably be plenty of rattlesnakes around.

I'll be leaving for home Sunday probably about noon.

r3dn3ck
07-02-2010, 7:13 AM

It's not in either... it's well east of b-field. Close to barstow. See coords above.

Hey, how are you guys preparing the rabbits? Doing a BBQ or something?

(or are these jackrabbits?)

I typically braise rabbit... it's a pretty lean and kinda tough meat and needs the soak. I'll probably grill one while I'm there though. Thinking of bringing some venison if one of you hippies will confirm coming.

He said east of Bakersfield, but Barstow is WAY south. Damn it, I want to go either way. I gotta check if the wife can take the car in for service instead of me. DOH!
Drop the car off early, rent the wife a car, come anyway. You know you'll just end up sitting around the house watching re-runs of History Channel shows otherwise.

I would go but I think I'm heading up to the Kern this weekend. Taking the 22 and the bowfishing gear.
Well... it's close. If the hunting's poor there, cruise on out.

r3dn3ck
07-02-2010, 10:41 AM
y'all can text me if you plan on going: ninetwofivefiveoneeightfiveonesixseven Identify yourself with your screen name if you do text me so I don't ignore you.

Shoot-it
07-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Cotton tail season is open .

calixt0
07-03-2010, 12:27 AM
If bakersfield wasn't so far away I would be there.. sounds like a ton of fun.

Butthead
07-05-2010, 9:01 AM
:( Wasn't able to make it. Wondering if the group was attacked by large killer bunnies or what?

aerospace90248
07-06-2010, 8:51 AM
Dam, I will be outta town this weekend. And I missed the Big Game draw again, Dam It. Looks like it will be another year of OTC tags.

Vtec44
07-06-2010, 10:13 AM
So how was it??? Pix? :D

r3dn3ck
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
well I went. Nobody else did. That spot and most like it were dead zones... nothing alive in there. I got up saturday and headed down to Winchester to my mom's place and hunted there instead. Killed 6 bunnies in the first 20 minutes and stopped counting after that. I ran myself out of shotgun shells (2 boxes) and had about a 80% hit rate. Man I tell ya what, if you want a bunny hunt, that's the place.

No pics, my phone battery ran dead and I forgot my charger so I was hosed on that.

Saturday night I started getting a little belly ache. Headed home Sunday, good timing as it turns out I had picked up a bug from one of my coworkers and was getting seriously ill. Monday I was in pretty bad shape with stomach pain and dehydration. By Tuesday I had gotten substantially worse and couldn't stand or talk or walk or eat. Went to the hospital and was promptly hooked up to the IV and given all sorts of injections and pills. They treated me for several hours and I'm back on my feet now.

During the trip I picked up a Dan Wesson 15-4VH and a Savage 1921 12ga Takedown model. The Dan Wesson I got because I LOVE the interchangeable barrels and they're so damned accurate it's just scary and I've wanted another for better than 20 years. The Savage I got because it's a takedown model, very rare and needed minor repair. It's in great shape other than the safety toggle needing replaced.

So, you're updated.

GVOllie
07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
So when/where is the next trip? I went locally last weekend and only came across one bunny (which I missed).

Vtec44
07-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Very nice! let me know when you want to head out next time. I have a high 2x4 Tacoma and won't mind driving. It was just bad timing for me this time. :(

Big Jake
07-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I would like to go too. If any of you guys can do a midweek trip it will be less crowded. I am off work until mid September so please let me know!

r3dn3ck
07-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh don't all go misconstruing my previous statements. They weren't intended as an open invite... to be blunt my mom has lost the place already. They have to be out by the end of the month. If that weren't the case I wouldn't have even bothered going that far. I don't (and by extension, everyone else) ever get to go there again. I took my last ever opportunity while I was there to collect a few treasured mementos to get one last hunt in.

Hate to unexcite y'all but them's the breaks.

That spot I went to out by barstow.. that was dead. There was nothing but ants alive. Nothing.

GVOllie
07-09-2010, 1:58 PM
I can't speak for others, but I was not treating it as such. I was asking when and where the next attempted hunt was. I recall you and I talked about Cache Creek some moons ago before I got knocked down by bronchitis. I've checked a few local areas, and the rabbit population was pretty poor. I'm going to need to expand my range if I plan to put any in the freezer.

r3dn3ck
07-09-2010, 3:22 PM
I'm going to find another spot and you're all welcome to join if/when I do. Just don't figure on it being soon or anywhere near where I was. I know where squirrels used to be out of control near williams so I'll check back that way and see if that's not got something fun.

Baxter
07-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Just so you know if you were hunting cottontails the daily limit is 5. If you were hunting jacks no limits but you still have to retrieve the carcass. Just a friendly reminder to not incriminate yourself on the interwebs.

r3dn3ck
07-10-2010, 9:17 AM
yeah... good thing I didn't mention a species other than bunny.

r3dn3ck
07-10-2010, 11:11 AM
mods, close this one down.