PDA

View Full Version : Reception for Don Meredith, candidate for LA County Sheriff, May 4th

linuxgunner
04-07-2006, 1:59 PM
There's been some discussion on this lately. We need to get Sheriff Baca out of office. Don Meredith is running and, obviously, he has not come out and said he'll be "shall-issue", he will certainly be better than Baca. He is having a reception on May 4th.

Here's the letter I got:

Friends,

I have taken this campaign and the challenge to be the next Sheriff of Los Angeles County very seriously.

From the beginning, my goal has been to do all I could to force a runoff election and to be one of those on the runoff ballot. As others have added their names to the list of challengers, that runoff looks more and more likely.

I have contacted thousands voters from one end of the county to the other - by mail, telephone, email and in person. I have been the featured speaker at more than 40 groups, and attended hundreds of Republican groups' meetings, service clubs and other community organizations.

I continue to make the high-propensity voter my #1 priority, and I intend to contact all those who apply to vote absentee.

I have been blessed with a wonderful group of volunteers who have made all of this voter contact possible.

But I've come to the point where I need your help.

I'm counting on you to serve as a Sponsor of my upcoming Birthday Reception ($1,000, or whatever amount you can still contribute up to $1,000). Or please be a member of the Host Committee ($500). Individual tickets will be available for $125 per person.

We are finalizing the plans for this May 4th reception to be held at a fantastic private home in Studio City from 6 to 8pm. It promises be a wonderful event. With your participation, I will be able to contact the voters who will be going to the polls on June 6, or voting absentee.

To be listed on the invitation for this event, please return this form by Monday, April 10 to Sheila McNichols via fax at 626-969-3455. If you have any questions, you can reach me at 626-334-7005. Or just click on Reply and let me know what level you will support at.

_____ Yes, I will be a Sponsor for Don's Birthday Party!

_____ Yes, I will be a member of the Host Committee for Don's Birthday Party!

Friends of Don Meredith ID# 1279717 www.meredithforsheriff.com
417 W. Foothill Blvd., #114, Glendora, CA 91741 - 626-334-7005

Don Meredith's website: http://www.meredithforsheriff.com/

Spread the word, show up at the event, do anything, just vote for anyone but Baca. Ken Masse is also running a strong campaign. Any of these opponents will be better than Baca. Contact them before the elction, let them know you will be voting for them and why. Also check Ken Masse' website: http://kenmasse.com/

Draven
04-07-2006, 5:53 PM
I got an email from the Ken Masse campaign today and I emailed him, advising that it might be a good idea to state his opinion on CCW issuance.

linuxgunner
04-07-2006, 7:09 PM
I got a response from him on that question:

Thank you very much for your e-mail. At this time, my position on CCW's is that they will be issued upon demonstrated and articulated need. As your next Sheriff, it is my intention to ensure that Los Angeles County's permit policies are in compliance with existing California law.

Remember, if he comes out and says "I'm going to practice shall issue", he WILL LOSE the election. He has no choice but to be wishy-washy on this. But I think if you read into it some, he's clearly going to be better than Baca. With Baca, you need to demonstrate a need in the form of documented serious death threats or already having been the victim of a crime. Masse leaves that more open, and Masse' position does sound like Sheriff Carona's position.

No one is going to openly say, "I'm shall-issue". But the rest of the US has mainly gone shall-issue and any sheriff who isn't someone like Baca will be taking us in that direction also.