PDA

View Full Version : ITT: Things Rangers/Game Wardens will try to catch you up on

KIDRR
06-28-2010, 8:58 PM
Lets post some common things they have checked on you in the past. Might help someone stay out of trouble and/or remember some lesser known hunting rules.

-Keep your hunting license on you
-3 Shells only in a shotgun without ability to put more in (plug)
-And here's one that I think can be very unfair. No hunting within a certain distance from a "guzzler". Although the distance is not exactly stated from what I know. A buddy of mine were hunting a while back and a ranger was trying his darndest to ticket us for hunting too close to the "guzzler" or man made water supply even though we had not come up on it yet and were unaware of its distance from us.

Cougar125
06-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Ammunition verfication for lead free requirements.

Peter W Bush
06-28-2010, 11:37 PM
more than a certain amount of shells in your possession at one time

johnrunner89
06-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Ammunition verfication for lead free requirements.

Keep the empty boxes in a pocket or backpack is what I do cause I don't know any other way to show its lead free.

portegee
06-29-2010, 7:22 AM
What time you started shooting (legal daylight hours)

Fjold
06-29-2010, 7:23 AM
more than a certain amount of shells in your possession at one time

???????????

mwunsch
06-29-2010, 8:09 AM
written permission to be on private property on your person. I basically was written a ticket, "that would be torn up" when I showed written permission to the fish cop. I had permission from the landowner and never got the ticket.

Annonymous
06-29-2010, 10:48 AM
???????????

This applies to duck hunting

frigginchi
06-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Don't lean a loaded weapon against your vehicle or use the hood for a rest.

remsenlab
06-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Sign your license and your tags. Got caught on not signing the duck stamp once.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Check for proper caliber shells for game hunted and the county your hunting in.

Fjold
06-29-2010, 11:04 AM
This applies to duck hunting

I can't find an ammunition limit anywhere in the regs for waterfowl regulations.

I see the three shell limit for the shotgun capacity while hunting migratory birds federally and the CA three shell capacity limit while hunting with a shotgun in Cali. but nothing that says how much ammunition I have in my possession.

Funny story: I was hunting Geese above Sacramento years ago and the game warden wanted to check my gun to make sure that it wouldn't hold more than three rounds.

I was shooting an O/U double barrel, I handed it over to him open and he actually looked down the barrels.

CHAD PEZZLE
06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I can't find an ammunition limit anywhere in the regs for waterfowl regulations.

I see the three shell limit for the shotgun capacity while hunting migratory birds federally and the CA three sheel capacity limit while hunting with a shotgun in Cali. but nothing that says how much ammunition I have in my possession.

Funny story: I was hunting Geese above Sacramento years ago and the game warden wanted to check my gun to make sure that it wouldn't hold more than three rounds.

I was shooting an O/U double barrel, I handed it over to him open and he actually looked down the barrels.

I think certain refuges have a one box/25 round limit. Once you run out, or run low you can walk back to the truck and get more. But don't have any more than the limit in your possession while in the field.

Peter W Bush
06-29-2010, 12:19 PM
A lot, if not all DFG duck hunting areas do not allow you to carry more than 25 shells on you.

ETA: Chad beat me to it.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Also I have been checked to see if the deer taken has a fork or not.

Trapper
06-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Lets post some common things they have checked on you in the past.
-And here's one that I think can be very unfair. No hunting within a certain distance from a "guzzler". Although the distance is not exactly stated from what I know. A buddy of mine were hunting a while back and a ranger was trying his darndest to ticket us for hunting too close to the "guzzler" or man made water supply even though we had not come up on it yet and were unaware of its distance from us.

This is the only thing I could find in the Reg's relating to guzzlers.

§730. Camping Near or Occupying Wildlife Watering Places.

(a) Camping/Occupying Defined. For purposes of this Section, camping/occupying is defined as establishing or inhabiting a camp; resting; picnicking; sleeping; parking or inhabiting any motor vehicle or trailer; hunting; or engaging in any other recreational activity for a period of more than thirty (30) minutes at a given location.
(b) Wildlife Watering Places Defined. For purposes of this Section, wildlife watering places are defined as waterholes, springs, seeps and man-made watering devices for wildlife such as guzzlers (self-filling, in-the-ground water storage tanks), horizontal wells and small impoundments of less than one surface acre in size.
(c) Prohibitions.
(1) Camping/Occupying is prohibited within 200 yards of the following:
(A) Any guzzler or horizontal well for wildlife on public land within the State of California.
(B) Any of the wildlife watering places on public land within the boundary of the California Desert Conservation Area as depicted on the Bureau of Land Management maps of “Calif. Federal Public Lands Responsibility,” “Calif. Desert Conservation Area” and the new “Desert District, B.L.M.”
(2) Camping/Occupying is prohibited within one-quarter mile of the following wildlife watering places:
(A) Butte Well--T31N, R14E, Section 28, NE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
(B) Schaffer Well--T31N R14E, Section 25, Center, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
(C) Tableland Well--T31N, R14E, Section 17, SE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
(D) Table Mountain Well--T31N, R14E, Section 32, SE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
(E) Timber Mountain Well--T44N, R6E, Section 33, M.D.B.M., Modoc National Forest, Modoc County.
(F) Belfast Well--T31N, R14E, Section 31, NE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.

norcal01
06-29-2010, 1:17 PM
I think certain refuges have a one box/25 round limit. Once you run out, or run low you can walk back to the truck and get more. But don't have any more than the limit in your possession while in the field.

Some refuges limit you to 25 shells per day. Not sure why though....

portegee
06-29-2010, 1:44 PM
Some refuges limit you to 25 shells per day. Not sure why though....

It's to limit sky busting, if you only have 25 rounds on you then you'll probably only take reachable shots

Tanner68
06-29-2010, 2:09 PM
The three shell limit in a shotgun is one they always check. I have also had them check my rifle ammo to make sure it is soft point. That was in the good old days when you could use lead. Don't put your loaded gun in your car, truck bed, or even lean it against the vehicle. Make sure you are at least 150 yards from a structure or dwelling. And trespassing when there is a land owner willing to prosecute is a big one. And of course, have your license in your immediate possession.

r3dn3ck
06-29-2010, 2:38 PM
Stay far enough out in the boonies and you'll probably never see one. I get hassled by sheriffs plenty when I'm out in the field but never by wardens.

Oh yeah, and look like you belong there. If you do see one, wave. Simple as that... act like you own it or be completely invisible.

Fireguy
06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Keep your Deer tags on your person when hunting. DFG violations are misdemeanors or felonies the're not like traffic tickets. You have to appear in court where the infraction occurred.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Or just always claim you are coyote hunting if you forget them.:D

lewdogg21
06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
It's to limit sky busting, if you only have 25 rounds on you then you'll probably only take reachable shots

^^^Correct. Wardens will frequently step out of the bushes in the dark to check people headed out from the check station.

jmonte35
06-30-2010, 1:03 PM
We get harrassed at least 5 times a season on our duck boat. Duck hunting from a boat has regulations that are left for interpretation.

From time to time I do diver hunting and we get cripples from time to time and diver cripples are a pain in the ***!!! Forget sending a dog you have to fire up the boat and chase em down. They only come up for air for a split second so its near impossible to net them without a kill shot on the water.

We got harrassed by a warden for taking a shot while not anchored or beached....which is correct however we were in the act of retrieving a wounded duck...the regs say nothing about firing in the act of retrieving a wounded duck.

I routinely take a fishing rod with me also when I'm hunting the delta from my boat. I once got stopped by a warden with a rod in the water and my shotgun loaded he said I couldn't do that. My fishing license was displayed and I had both legal hunting and fishing licenses. After a small argument I decided to just reel in my lines but was not happy about it. He couldn't provide me any reference so I could look up what code I was violating....He was wrong and grumpy thats all.

ScottB
06-30-2010, 1:52 PM
I dispute the guzzler thing, though I won't dispute there might be some wardens out there who would ticket you, but they are making up the law as near as I can figure.

The law specifically addresses camping near guzzlers, not hunting. Some people say its covered by the law against baiting, but "bait" is very specifically defined and water is not included in the definition.

That said, shooting an animal off its water is poor form and unsportsmanlike. It drives the animals away from their water source. Animals need to drink water to survive and any bird population that is dependent upon guzzlers for reliable water is dependent upon all of us to let them have it in peace.

So, don't be a jerk and hunt over guzzlers or drinkers.

Do take an extra 10 gallons or so of water in the truck with you and if you find a guzzler that is dry or low, dump it in. It could make all the difference to the local covey. And it feels good. :)

professionalcoyotehunter
06-30-2010, 2:22 PM
But to put an animal out of its misery of being wounded is sportsman like. I can see both sides very clearly. If I wounded a coyote and it was near a water source to die I would not hesitate to take the shot because I would want it to do the same for me.

ScottB
06-30-2010, 2:34 PM
I am assuming your first shot was a respectable distance away from water and this is the quietus shot? Not really what's being discussed here. Besides, very few guzzler designs accomodate coyotes, so its probably not an issue.

Hunting over a captive water source means setting up or working specfically near a water source for the purpose of waiting for to wait for game to come drink. The baiting laws may not cover it, but its essentially the same thing.

If a covey or a herd is shot off their water, they will discontinue using it. Mammals may go nocturnal if they can, but birds are SOL. They find another source or die. Again, its slob hunting.

toby
06-30-2010, 3:09 PM
If a covey or a herd is shot off their water, they will discontinue using it. Mammals may go nocturnal if they can, but birds are SOL. They find another source or die. Again, its slob hunting.[/QUOTE]

This is SLOB hunting! but the fact that the birds, mammals will not return and seek water elsewhere is not so. they will continue to use a water source regardless. it's their nature and they have to drink and some Human interference will not distract them. except maybe momentarily.

Full Clip
06-30-2010, 3:52 PM
While it is legal to possess/use two-way radios for hunting in CA, it is not in some other states, such as CO. Check your local regs.

Hunter
06-30-2010, 4:15 PM
I dispute the guzzler thing, though I won't dispute there might be some wardens out there who would ticket you, but they are making up the law as near as I can figure.

The law specifically addresses camping near guzzlers, not hunting....

Hmm, take a look again.

This is the only thing I could find in the Reg's relating to guzzlers.

§730. Camping Near or Occupying Wildlife Watering Places.

(a) Camping/Occupying Defined. For purposes of this Section, camping/occupying is defined as establishing or inhabiting a camp; resting; picnicking; sleeping; parking or inhabiting any motor vehicle or trailer; hunting; or engaging in any other recreational activity for a period of more than thirty (30) minutes at a given location.
(b) Wildlife Watering Places Defined. For purposes of this Section, wildlife watering places are defined as waterholes, springs, seeps and man-made watering devices for wildlife such as guzzlers (self-filling, in-the-ground water storage tanks), horizontal wells and small impoundments of less than one surface acre in size.
(c) Prohibitions.
(1) Camping/Occupying is prohibited within 200 yards of the following:
(A) Any guzzler or horizontal well for wildlife on public land within the State of California.
(B) Any of the wildlife watering places on public land within the boundary of the California Desert Conservation Area as depicted on the Bureau of Land Management maps of “Calif. Federal Public Lands Responsibility,” “Calif. Desert Conservation Area” and the new “Desert District, B.L.M.”
(2) Camping/Occupying is prohibited within one-quarter mile of the following wildlife watering places:
(A) Butte Well--T31N, R14E, Section 28, NE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
(B) Schaffer Well--T31N R14E, Section 25, Center, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
(C) Tableland Well--T31N, R14E, Section 17, SE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
(D) Table Mountain Well--T31N, R14E, Section 32, SE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
(E) Timber Mountain Well--T44N, R6E, Section 33, M.D.B.M., Modoc National Forest, Modoc County.
(F) Belfast Well--T31N, R14E, Section 31, NE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.

Everyone needs to read the blue bold section above VERY carefully. "Camping/Occupying" here is not just rollling out your sleeping bag. It also means resting and indeed hunting for more than 30 minutes in the same spot. So yes, hunting over a guzzler (ie within 200 yrds for more than 30 minutes) is illegal.

spectr17
06-30-2010, 4:58 PM
Besides, very few guzzler designs accomodate coyotes, so its probably not an issue.

There are several guzzler designs out there for big game that will allow a coyote to drink. I've seen at least 4 different designs, from the big flying saucer ones to the small vault style with the steps, that big game can drink from. We even found a coyote bones in guzzler repair near Goff's that was designed for birds and small animals only. We figured it was a small coyote who squeezed between the bars and fell into the tank and couldn't get out.

GVOllie
06-30-2010, 7:09 PM
While it is legal to possess/use two-way radios for hunting in CA, it is not in some other states, such as CO. Check your local regs.

That really should read it is legal to possess/use two-way radios while hunting in CA

You can use those radios to say "Hey Bob, let's stop for lunch", but you cannot use them to say "Bob, I'm driving a buck towards you "

I am trying to find the reference for this to quote, but I have not been able to yet.

spectr17
06-30-2010, 8:13 PM
It's legal to use radios to hunt in CA, even to talk someone on to a deer. The only problem you may have is if you want to enter the deer in the record books. P&Y and B&C have fair chase rules that don't allow radio use.

AK is on state where I've read of folks prosecuted for using radios to pursue game.

Thefeeder
06-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Seperate bags and limits. Can't put them in one pile or on one stringer.

Once you bag or catch your limit...You have to stop.

Duck hunters take this to mean you can't shoot your buddies sprig.

bigboarstopper
07-01-2010, 5:10 PM
One thing wardens will always do is ask the same question twice. Stay consistant with them. They are always fishing for information that may incriminate you. They will often ask if you were hunting other game like stuff thats out of season. Ive been approached by wardens and was asked "get any quail?". Knowing that quail is out of season.

KIDRR
07-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Good stuff guys

ScottB-It wasn't like I was waiting around by a guzzler for a rabbit to come by. We were walking across several miles of land and were coming up on it without knowing.

ScottB
07-05-2010, 9:13 PM
Good stuff guys

ScottB-It wasn't like I was waiting around by a guzzler for a rabbit to come by. We were walking across several miles of land and were coming up on it without knowing.

Well, theres that 30 minute thing in your favor too.

I don't know why, but on this site there's a lot of newbs, which is good, and sometimes I think its worth spelling things out in detail. I hope that doesn't come off as condescending, but its easy to get a ticket and some guys here (in the politics forum anyway) always seem to be looking for an angle. Sometimes its important to focus on the spirit of the law rather than the letter - especially with game and conservation laws. But that's just my take. If anyone disagrees, its a free country (sort of) and you pays your money and takes your chances.

Thefeeder
07-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Well, theres that 30 minute thing in your favor too.

I don't know why, but on this site there's a lot of newbs, which is good, and sometimes I think its worth spelling things out in detail. I hope that doesn't come off as condescending, but its easy to get a ticket and some guys here (in the politics forum anyway) always seem to be looking for an angle. Sometimes its important to focus on the spirit of the law rather than the letter - especially with game and conservation laws. But that's just my take. If anyone disagrees, its a free country (sort of) and you pays your money and takes your chances.

I agree...Take this advise to heart....Don't mess with Fish and Game and follow all the regs. If you make a mistake ....the ticket will refresh your memory. If you are caught tryng to outwit F&G.....bend over and relax.

ADAM
07-06-2010, 7:20 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

problemchild
07-06-2010, 8:26 AM
Gloves in the glovebox.

Got checked for a plug once.

Rule .308
07-06-2010, 12:28 PM
If you hunt foxes make sure you have a hand call around your neck. You cannot legally call in foxes with an electronic caller. You can be in possession of it while you do it but you had better have a hand caller on you too. I use a foxpro but always have a hand caller around my neck or in my pocket as I will use them too.

If you are night hunting make damn good and sure where the line is, it cost me $300.00 one night to be on the wrong side of the highway.

I've had my run ins with the wardens and every single one of them has been polite and courteous, even while writing me a ticket for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've had a few sheriffs and border patrol agents that were raging *****s and knew very little about the laws they were supposedly trying to enforce. I have also had run ins with other law enforcement that went very well too. Best piece of advice there is to be as polite and courteous as you can and to project yourself as confident, competent, and up to speed about what you are doing and where you are at. If you come across as some beer drinking numb nut that is out to murder everything that moves you will have lost the battle before you even got out of the gate.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
up to speed about what you are doing and where you are at.

+1

It is YOUR responsibility to know where you are, and the rules and regs on what you are doing.

As GI Joe used to say, "Knowing is half the battle."

510dat
07-06-2010, 4:51 PM
If you are night hunting make damn good and sure where the line is, it cost me $300.00 one night to be on the wrong side of the highway.

How is it even possible to figure out where it is or isn't ok to be hunting? I went boar hunting a couple years ago with a buddy, and trying to figure out what areas were ok to hunt, what weren't ok to hunt, what was open or closed for fire season, was right next to impossible. The "current" maps we got from the Hollister field office looked like they had been drawn by a drunken 6-year old with a crayon, and none of the three different maps we got from them used the same reference points (i.e, roads, lat/long lines, county lines, etc).

I spent hours with their maps, USGS maps, google maps and road maps, trying to figure out what the scale was, orientation, ID any landmarks we could find, and came up with a best guess. And then when we got there, the signage and fences disagreed with what their maps said. :mad:

Is there an equivalent to the "How to own a gun in CA and not go to jail" book for hunting in CA?

This whole "no hunting a waterhole/spring for more than 30 minutes" is new to me; nobody in my hunter safety class mentioned it, nor did I see anything like that in any of the several pounds of literature I have.

What other little "gotchas" are there?

KIDRR
07-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Is there an equivalent to the "How to own a gun in CA and not go to jail" book for hunting in CA?

I would buy this. I hunt very little because of all these stupid (yes STUPID) laws and I'm sure that's what people in charge want

spectr17
07-08-2010, 4:17 PM

Not really, DFG hunting regs can be very confusing and hard to interpret. The best thing is to call Sacramento and ask a warden if you have a question. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

Carry the DFG reg booklets they give out for free with you in your car since many checks will be by sheriffs who simply don't know the game laws. Some wardens also will give conflicting advise and you can just pull out your handy dandy reg book for you and them to check. Also carry any maps you have since a lot of the "man with a gun" calls the PD gets the caller will claim you're trespassing. Without proof that you are legal many cops will just ask that you leave and you miss out on your hunt.

It's not too hard to follow the regs, you just have to do some homework and check each year for any changes.

Shoot-it
07-08-2010, 8:41 PM
I was asked for a permission form one time they didn't even know who's property it was so no ticket for me. They both asked to see my gun and then looked around my jeep I found that odd.

As for useing your hood for a rest well I know a lot of people that do that. Most of the time they are behind many locked gates far in the mountains.