PDA

View Full Version : OC Sheriff's Race

Rumpled
04-07-2006, 9:46 AM
After my screwup on who the pro CCW candidate is, I looked up all of the candidates and here is a quick synopsis especially with regards to CCW. Immigration is a big hot button right now also; I need to square my ideas with their statements.
This are my opinions, now go make your own.

Mike Carona - incumbent. Said he would issue more CCW's and has. Still some hoops to go through. Lots of "scandals" including "borrowing" ~$130k from his campaign without accountability, and badges/CCW for donors.

Robert Alcaraz - LASD retired lives in Newport Coast, now executive. No statement on CCW on his webpage. Rich outsider?

Ralph Martin - LASD commander lives in Coto de Caza. No statement on CCW on his webpage. Rich outsider?

Bill Hunt - current OCSD, current CLEO for San Clemente (tough crime beat I'm sure).
(On his website, he calls himself "Bill is the Police Chief of San Clemente" - not quite true, he's OCSD serving as the CLEO for SC. Sounds like he's trying to distance himself from current OCSD management)
Strong anti-immigrant stance (might be too strong for me)
He does mention CCW on his website
"I will issue concealed weapons permits (CCW) to any applicant who is
a law abiding resident of the county, meets state mandated
requirements and is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm.(underlining his)
The current Sheriff promised to revamp the CCW process. There have
been less than 1200 issued CCW’s in a county of 3 million. The
majority have been given to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors
and to reward political supporters. I will depoliticize the process and
establish an annual audit to review each application to ensure the
process is unbiased, non-political and equitable."

So far, Bill Hunt has my vote.

psssniper
04-07-2006, 9:54 AM
My little brother knows him personally and says hes a good guy. I will try and see if my brother can get more CCW info.

rkt88edmo
04-07-2006, 1:22 PM
Honestly, are there people out there who have done the teeny bit of homework required to apply in OC and been denied? Just from what I've seen and heard I don't think his statement about Carona's issue policy is correct.

Bladewurk
04-07-2006, 3:59 PM
Hmm,my neighbor mentioned shooting,so I talked to him about pistols and invited him to go shooting with me.3 weeks later,he has a Glock and an approved CCW here in Orange County.Online process seems really straight forward and no appointment needed for interview.:D

Rumpled
04-07-2006, 4:08 PM
I've talked to a few with CCW in OC.
Apparently accepted as just cause is frequent shooter with documentation.
I don't yet belong to a club and BLM and USFS don't issue receipts.

I also don't own a business, carry lotsa $ for work, or contribute to Carona's campaign.

I don't think my just cause statement will pass.

I've been told it takes months altogether and cost ~$500.

As far as the 1200, I'd bet that not that many more have actually applied.
Most CA residents have no idea it's ever possible.
I'd like to know the rejection numbers, though.

I wonder if Jim March ever got that data with his PRAR wars.
I'll have to investigate that.

bladewurk,
Are you saying your neighbor went from newb to CCW in 3 weeks?

marklbucla
04-07-2006, 4:38 PM
There have
been less than 1200 issued CCW’s in a county of 3 million. The
majority have been given to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors
and to reward political supporters.

He's just trying to lie with Statistics. So what if the majority of CCW holders are among the priveliged class? I got mine, and it wasn't too hard. Well, compared to free America, it was, but it wasn't all that bad. I just used the avid shooter reason and it wasn't a problem.

Paladin
04-07-2006, 5:25 PM
Bill Hunt - <snip>
He does mention CCW on his website
"I will issue concealed weapons permits (CCW) to any applicant who is
a law abiding resident of the county, meets state mandated
requirements and is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm.(underlining his)
<snip>I will depoliticize the process and
establish an annual audit to review each application to ensure the
process is unbiased, non-political and equitable."

So far, Bill Hunt has my vote.
It sounds like Hunt is implying that he will be Shall Issue w/o explicitly saying it (which would be a sound-bite that could hurt him when the MSM picked it up). It sounds like he's saying he'll not use local, subjective criteria and only go by the objective state law criteria (not a felon, drug addict, etc.).

Rumpled
04-07-2006, 7:25 PM
It sounds like Hunt is implying that he will be Shall Issue w/o explicitly saying it (which would be a sound-bite that could hurt him when the MSM picked it up). It sounds like he's saying he'll not use local, subjective criteria and only go by the objective state law criteria (not a felon, drug addict, etc.).

The state law gives CLEO's broad powers on this.
Baca in LA could say he's following "state mandated requirements".
One of these is getting past him.
What goes to me is that Hunt is saying "only 1200"
He wants to flood the streets.

The depolitizice could be referring mostly to the big donor CCW's.

Paladin
04-07-2006, 11:36 PM
The state law gives CLEO's broad powers on this.
Baca in LA could say he's following "state mandated requirements".
One of these is getting past him.
Those additional requirements that keep LA virtually No Issue are not requirements mandated by the state, but county requirements mandated by Baca. Those additional requirements (e.g., expressing a legitimate need beyond exercising your 2nd A rights and beyond protecting yourself), vary throughout the state because they are not state mandated, they are CLEO (e.g., Sheriff) mandated. There are no state mandated standards for those additional local requirements. There is no state mandated requirement that Sheriffs/CoPs impose these additional local requirements.

What goes to me is that Hunt is saying "only 1200"
He wants to flood the streets.

You think having more than 1,200 CHLs in a county with a population of 3,000,000 would "flood the streets" with handguns? Are you against CLEOs allowing everyone who applies and passes all of the state mandated requirements (ie, goes "Shall Issue" in practice) from getting a CHL? Are you against California from going Shall Issue?

Apeman88
04-07-2006, 11:49 PM
When is the election??

Ken

Rumpled
04-08-2006, 12:26 AM
You think having more than 1,200 CHLs in a county with a population of 3,000,000 would "flood the streets" with handguns? Are you against CLEOs allowing everyone who applies and passes all of the state mandated requirements (ie, goes "Shall Issue" in practice) from getting a CHL? Are you against California from going Shall Issue?

1 No, but under 1200 is certainly closer to a trickle.
2 Certainly not, I am very for it.
3 Ditto #2

Maybe you're misunderstanding me, I'm all for shall issue. Hunt's point is that there are very few OC CCW's under Carona.

Since CLEO discretion is part of the law, Baca could certainly say he is following the law. I think his policy his wrong, but not proven unlawful.
My original point is that both an anti and shall issue Sheriff could utter that same sentence and both be correct, we need more info to get their true position.

Apeman88 - It's June 6th.

rkt88edmo
04-08-2006, 12:37 AM
But Hunt's so called "point" is just conjecture for his own political gain. If he or anyone can produce a bunch of people who applied and were denied which contributed to a significantly smaller number of people actually becoming one of the "1200" then it would be interesting.

1 No, but under 1200 is certainly closer to a trickle.
2 Certainly not, I am very for it.
3 Ditto #2

Maybe you're misunderstanding me, I'm all for shall issue. Hunt's point is that there are very few OC CCW's under Carona.

Link to DOJ (up to 2004) statistics on CCW by county (Carona started as Sheriff in 1999)

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/ccwissuances2004.pdf

From ~300 permits a year to nearly 1300. Very few....um, ok.

Paladin
04-08-2006, 5:45 PM
Maybe you're misunderstanding me, I'm all for shall issue.

My original point is that both an anti and shall issue Sheriff could utter that same sentence and both be correct, we need more info to get their true position.

I understand you now. You were saying what either of them could say and yet mean opposite things.

Since CLEO discretion is part of the law, Baca could certainly say he is following the law. I think his policy his wrong, but not proven unlawful.

Yep, no one's saying he's breaking the law. He's just making it virtually impossible for lawabiding citizens to be able to protect themselves from evildoers with the same means his deputies use -- handguns. He cares more about how the MSM treats him than he cares about supporting the US Constitution and allowing LA residents from exercising their 2nd Amendment right to "keep and bear arms"

psssniper
04-08-2006, 9:30 PM
How about this crazy idea. Lets work up a list of questions concerning our gun rights and/or whatever else we at Calguns have concerns about and I'll see if I can get a meeting time with Capt Hunt to ask the questions and then post his replies here on the board for all to read and decide who gets the vote. Having a couple thousand pro-CCW calgunners on your side sure aint gonna hurt in the upcoming election.

I would ask,
Why is it so expensive to get a CCW in OC compared to other states?
Why do we have to go through the ENTIRE PROCESS again every renewal?

anyone else?

Dump1567
04-08-2006, 9:46 PM
Is this about whose going to issue a CCW or who you should vote for if your an O.C. resident? Recently the members of Asoc. of O.C. Dep. Sheriffs voted to endorse Hunt. I don't know if he'll give you your CCW, but for the overall morale of the dept., it's time for a change. As far as the other two. We don't need another outsider.

Mute
04-09-2006, 4:57 PM
When Carona was a candidate he actually came right out and said he'd loosen the CCW process compared to his predecessor. And he did. No implying or beating around the bush. I don't trust any politician who won't take a stand and come right out and give us his position on this issue.

Bladewurk
04-09-2006, 9:07 PM
I've talked to a few with CCW in OC.
Apparently accepted as just cause is frequent shooter with documentation.
I don't yet belong to a club and BLM and USFS don't issue receipts.

I also don't own a business, carry lotsa $ for work, or contribute to Carona's campaign.

I don't think my just cause statement will pass.

I've been told it takes months altogether and cost ~$500.

As far as the 1200, I'd bet that not that many more have actually applied.
Most CA residents have no idea it's ever possible.
I'd like to know the rejection numbers, though.

I wonder if Jim March ever got that data with his PRAR wars.
I'll have to investigate that.

bladewurk,
Are you saying your neighbor went from newb to CCW in 3 weeks?

Yes,his office was broken into,he is a Doctor with DEA clearance for drugs,newbie to CCW APPROVAL in 3 weeks.

Rumpled
04-10-2006, 8:53 AM
I knew i shoulda gone to med school like my momma said.
Good for him, but too bad the average citizen can't do the same.

Dump1567
04-10-2006, 2:28 PM
I've heard if you shoot competition regularly (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge), Corona will kick down a CCW. I've heard of JoJo at Norco writing reference letters for USPSA regulars to get CCW's. This was about two years ago. Don't know the deal now. Corona had a couple of his Reserves (read friends) mis-use their CCW's and get into trouble. Don't know if he's as generous now.

marklbucla
04-10-2006, 4:29 PM
I thought I got mine after that CCW scandal. I believe "Avid Shooter" works still.

Bill Hunt for Sheriff
04-10-2006, 9:11 PM
I was advised of this forum by a supporter and want to share with you my views on the 2nd Amendment and the CCW process. I believe that it is the duty of the Sheriff to protect citizen’s constitutional rights not restrict them. The Sheriff swears an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. We in law enforcement face both legal and administrative repercussions if we violate the 1st and 4th Amendments, and rightfully so. For some reason, there are no repercussions for the indiscriminate abuse of our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. As Sheriff of Orange County my policy for the issuance of CCW permits will be as follows:

“I will issue concealed weapons permits (CCW) to any applicant who is a law abiding resident of the county, meets state mandated requirements and is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. The current Sheriff promised to revamp the CCW process. There have been less than 1200 issued CCW`s in a county of 3 million. The majority have been given to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors and to reward political supporters. I will depoliticize the process and establish an annual audit to review each application to ensure the process is unbiased, non-political and equitable.”

This policy is taken verbatim from my reform plan entitled, “A blueprint for a professional Sheriff’s Department and a safer Orange County.” I am the only candidate in the race with a plan for the future that consists of more than politically correct bullet points. The other candidates either do not know the issues because they have no knowledge of the department or are unwilling to admit the problems exist. They are also reluctant to put a plan forward for which they may be criticized. I have no such concerns. This is what I believe and it is what I will do as your Sheriff. My plan is based on over 2 decades in the Orange County Sheriff’s Department and it is not poll driven election year propaganda. It identifies real problems and offers real solutions for the future. My reform plan can be viewed in its entirety at www.billhuntforsheriff.com. If you are serious about an objective CCW process or are a 2nd amendment advocate, please support my campaign and advise your friends to do the same.

Below is an article from OC Register Reporter Gordon Dillow detailing the failure of the current sheriff’s CCW policy:

The Orange County Register: Gun permit not easy to come by
March 20, 2005

Author: GORDON DILLOW

I don`t walk around with a pistol in my pocket. After all, I don`t have a particularly dangerous job, I certainly don`t carry large amounts of cash or jewels, and nobody is stalking or threatening me -- at least as far as I know. So lugging my .357 Smith & Wesson around with me all day doesn`t seem all that necessary.

But what if I really, really thought I needed to pack a piece for my own protection? Or what if I simply think it`s my constitutional right as a law-abiding citizen to not only keep but to actively bear arms in public? Could I get Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona to issue me a concealed-weapons permit?

The answer is yes, no and maybe.

Carry concealed weapon permits -- CCWs for short -- have long been a contentious issue in Orange County. Back in the 1980s and `90s, then-Sheriff Brad Gates was criticized for allegedly handing out CCW permits as favors to political supporters and denying them to almost everybody else. In fact, some private investigators won almost $500,000 in court judgments against the county after being denied permits.

But when Carona ran for sheriff in 1998, he vowed to change all that, promising to make the permit process less subjective and more standardized. Any law-abiding person who could meet the requirements and demonstrate a valid need to carry a concealed weapon could get a permit.

As you might imagine, this caused some anti-gun folks to suffer a bad case of the vapors. They predicted that Carona would turn 21st-century Orange County into 1880s Dodge City, that there`d be a Glock in every glove compartment, that blood would flow in the streets.

Which of course didn`t happen. Last year, the Orange County Sheriff`s Department processed just 511 applications for CCW permits, of which 472 were ultimately approved -- with most of them going to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors, people who transport large sums of cash, and others who could demonstrate a clear and immediate need to carry a firearm for protection. With the permits good for just two years, the total number of active CCWs issued by the Sheriff`s Department is under 1,000 -- this out of a county population of more than 3 million people.

In fact, people who believe that having guns in the hands of well-trained and law-abiding citizens decreases crime, as opposed to increasing it, wish there were more permits issued, not fewer of them.

I would have expected (the number of applications) to be a lot more than it is, says Evan Carolyn of Evan`s Gunsmithing and Shooter`s World in Orange, who served as an adviser to Carona on his CCW policy and procedures. I don`t think enough people are applying at this time.

That may be partly because a lot of people aren`t even aware that they can apply for a permit.

But it`s mostly because the state-mandated vetting process is extremely intense, requiring 16 hours of training at the applicant`s expense, an in-depth background check that takes months to complete, annual inspection of the firearms, numerous forms and fees. An applicant may even be required to undergo a psychiatric exam by a county-approved shrink. And in the end, the Sheriff`s Department has the final say on whether you get a permit; under state law, a CCW permit is a privilege, not a right.

The fact is that, given the state requirements, it`s a hundred times easier to get a permit to drive a 4,000-pound automobile on a freeway at 65 mph than it is to get a permit to carry a 2-pound revolver in your purse or briefcase. When they find out how difficult it is, most people throw up their hands and say, The heck with it.

Interestingly, according to his spokesman, even Sheriff Carona thinks that`s unfortunate. He welcomes people to come in and apply, as long as they`re willing to accept the responsibilities and be properly trained, says spokesman Jon Fleischman. His attitude is, `Come on down.`

Of course, it`s not my place to either encourage or discourage anyone from seeking a CCW permit.

But if you want more information, you can check out www.ocsd.org/ccwpermit on the Internet, or call the sheriff`s CCW permit line at (714) 647-7028.

Like I said, it won`t be easy. And maybe it should be made a little easier, as it is in many other states, for law-abiding and well-trained people to carry the tools they think necessary to protect themselves.

But until then, the law is pretty clear. Yes, you can have a pistol in one pocket. But only if you have a permit in the other one.

Gordon Dillow may be reached at (714) 796-7953 or by e-mail at gldillow@aol.com.

It is foolish to expect different results from the same leadership we have today. I will need your help to make a difference. Call (877) OC 4 HUNT to help me get elected.

EBWhite
04-10-2006, 9:33 PM
BILL- you rock!

96hmco
04-10-2006, 9:47 PM
Mr. Hunt

Thank you for taking the time to clear up those that had questions.

I find it amazing that you are willing to put out there the facts on the issue.

It is my understanding that you will issue to any and all who apply and are law abiding citizens. This is a new concept for those living in Orange County. I applaud the refreshing attitude and willingness to support a change in Orange County.

For those that are still holding on to Carona, and have been issued a CCW as a result of either jumping through the "hoops" and are concerned that Mr. Hunt will not be Shall Issue, the man just put it in print on a forum for all to read. What else do you expect him to do?

1200 CCW's for a county that has 3 million is unacceptable. I am a shooter, I have held a CCW for Utah going on 7 years, I spend an unordinate amount of time outside of our state and carrying where legal. I do not have the time to prove that I am an "avid" shooter, and quite frankly don't understand why I should have to prove it.

For those of you that are elitist and consider their CCW privliedges above others.........thanks for nothing and feel free to read the constitution again.

I could have joined the elitist group, sent a little money in the direction of Carona.....just think you can only give $1500 personally to a candidate, and be proud of your ability to carry, or you can do something to better the community, get rid of the corruption and support a man who has obviously put his career on the line to try to change the current corruption.

The choice is yours.

linuxgunner
04-10-2006, 9:54 PM
Bill Hunt, THANK YOU FOR POSTING IN OUR FORUM!

AND THANK YOU FOR THAT EXCELLENT CLEAR CCW POLICY! After you win OC sheriff, please have a talk with our Sheriff Baca and show him the light on this. Or else I may be forced to move to OC and vote for you next time.

Black Majik
04-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Mr. Hunt.

Thank you for your time to post on here and express your views. You got my vote! :)

Paladin
04-11-2006, 12:28 AM
Lieutenant Hunt, the residents of OC should be honored that you are running to be their sheriff and we, here at CGN, are honored that you have taken the time to address our forum.

If California had a few dozen more pro-CCW sheriffs -- beginning w/the major urban areas -- murder, rape, and assault rates would significantly drop, just as they have when other states switched to Shall Issue ( www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=18 ).

In case anyone (e.g., reporters) gives you flak re your CCW stance, just tell them 40 out of 50 states are Shall Issue or better in practice ( www.nraila.org/images/rtcmaplg.jpg AL, CT, IO are legally May Issue, but said to be Shall Issue in practice).

I hope your supporters visit all the gun shops, gun ranges and local branches of shooting orgs (esp at IPSC, IDPA, and PPC-type matches) in OC and just beyond OC's borders. Make sure your people don't just ask permission to put up flyers, but to talk w/the employees, who'll then bring up your position in conversations w/customers and friends.

Since pro-2nd A/CCW people outside of OC can support you financially, I encourage you/your supporters to see about posting your statement above at The High Road, Tactical Forums, The Firing Line, GlockTalk, packing.org's CA forum ( http://www.packing.org/community/stateview/?statepk=5 ) and other forums. I've taken care of WarriorTalk.

I'll also cut a check to support you.

God bless.

Rumpled
04-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Bill Hunt,
Welcome and thanks for your post.
I think that article you posted points out well that most people don't even think one can even apply for a CCW.
Most on this forum know which Chiefs and Sheriffs are more known for issuing CCW's and who are not.
I think in OC the big stumbling block is the uncertainty of a good cause statement meeting the test.
Having clear statements such as yours remove that uncertainty.
Thanks
As I said to start this thread, you have my vote so far. I haven't looked closely at all candidates for all issues; but you've certainly stated your positions more than anyone in the race.
That alone is a big positive.

linuxgunner
04-11-2006, 12:50 AM
The High Road, Tactical Forums

Already done!

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=194365

Btw, I looked at Mr. Hunt's platform, and I must say a) the CCW issue is the #2 issue he addresses in the 18-page document, so I'm impressed by that and b) I'm solidly impressed by the rest of it. I like how he puts as a high priority that he's going to end the sheriff's personal protection detail, saving $1mil/year, because the SD should be out protecting the people, not the sheriff. Cool!

Mr. Hunt, to be honest, I wish you were running in Los Angeles instead of OC, so I could vote for you.

Mute
04-11-2006, 8:40 AM
Mr. Hunt. Thank you for your posting. Now that you've clearly stated your position, you have my support 100%. Although I no longer live in OC, I'll advise all those I know, who do live in OC to lend you their support. Thanks again, and good luck on your race.

Mute
04-11-2006, 8:46 AM
Just an additional thought. If anyone knows either Masse or Meredith from the LASD race or one of their reps, they should point them to this thread. It might encourage them to make clear their stand on CCW.

kennisonxgs
04-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, I know who I'm supporting. ;)

CWM4A1
04-11-2006, 6:31 PM
Great news. Thank you Mr. Hunt.

Paladin
04-12-2006, 2:00 AM
Bill,

You might want to ck out http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31670 for some ideas for your campaign. It's a little project we're trying to whip together here at CGN. I've posted many ideas on pages 1 and 4 (those on p. 4 probably apply best to you re allies and where to find votes).

Paladin
04-12-2006, 8:58 AM
Okay you CGN people in OC. It looks like you've got at least one great contender in your sheriff's race, Bill Hunt. If you are up for a challenge, go thru the thread at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31670 and adapt it for the OC. As I just posted there, your two groups should probably coordinate hitting rich targets that lie near the border you share. Also, you both should know the basic contact info for both candidates so that you are ever ready to refer people to the other.

Remember, in Sacto, you've got to get pro-CCW people elected, draft legislation, move it thru subcommittees, committees, etc. Get a coalition to vote for it and pass it in one chamber and then do the same thing in the other chamber, and then get the governor to sign it. Then get ready for court challenges! With counties, all you have to do is get a pro-CCW sheriff and all those residents are good to go (apply). No change of law needed. Plus doing this will get a lot more people interested in changing the law to Shall Issue and will get a lot of people in neighboring counties to say to their Chiefs/Sheriffs: "If people in OC/LAC can get permits, why can't we?!!!" Think domino theory.

If we could win in LA (10 million) and OC (3 million) we will have liberated over 1/3 of all Californians (36 million total pop). And remember, a few of those other 23 million already live in Shall Issue counties so that just makes our impact even bigger. In other words, this is all worth it! We have less than 8 weeks. Let's do it!

Jeff Rambo
04-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Someone mentioned pointing this out to the Meredith campaign.

Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 10:57 AM
To: 'Don4sheriff@aol.com'
Subject: RE: Come to a Birthday Party !!!

When Mr. Meredith takes such a stance as Lt. Hunt, I will then gladly donate $1,000.

Reference: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31645&page=3

Best Regards,

Jeffrey A. Rambo
Managing Director
323.302.4655 - Office
323.304.5333 - Cell & Data
877.305.9283 - Fax
jeff.rambo@brandergy.com
------------------------------------
Brandergy.com: advertising + design
http://www.brandergy.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2006 6:04 PM
To: Don4sheriff@aol.com
Subject: Come to a Birthday Party !!!

You've probably received this by fax and/or mail by now, and we haven't received your reservations. I've attached a pdf file of the actual invitation if you'd like to download it and share it with friends.

The easiest way to make a reservation is to click on your "reply" button and send us a message telling us you will be there and how many will be in your party, and we'll deal with the paperwork that night.

Or you can print this out and complete the form and mail it to
Friends of Meredith ID# 1279717,
417 W. Foothill Blvd., #114,
Glendora, CA 91741

Call your friends, and bring them along - two couples and you are a member of the Host Committee. Invite 3 other couples to come along, and you are a Sponsor.

It's going to be a great party, and Don needs to pay for some slates and mail very soon. We are counting on you!

Sheila McNichols, Lead Advisor
Meredith for Sheriff

IT'S A BIRTHDAY PARTY!!
For
Don Meredith
Candidate for Los Angeles County Sheriff
Come celebrate with him
Thursday, May 4, 2006 ~ 6-8pm
at
11909 Laurel Hills, Studio City 91604
Hors d’oeuvres & wine Business Attire
RSVP by May 1 to 626-334-7005

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DON!
_____ Please reserve ___ tickets at $125 per person. My check is enclosed.
_____ I will be a Member of the Host Committee; my check for $500 is enclosed.
_____ I will be a Sponsor of the Birthday Party! My check for $1,000 is enclosed.
_____ Don may list my name publicly as an endorser of his campaign for Sheriff.
__________________________________ ______________________________
(Please Print) (Sign here)
________________________________ _____ ____________________
(Name) (Telephone)
______________________________________ _________________________________
(Street Address) (City/Zip)

State law requires we obtain the following information:
______________________________________ ______________________________________
(Employer) (Occupation)
____________________________________ ___________________________________
(Email address) (Fax or Cell)

PLEASE MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO FRIENDS OF MEREDITH.
SEE www.meredithforsheriff.com TO PAY BY CREDIT CARD.
PAID FOR BY FRIENDS OF MEREDITH—ID# 1279717
Contributions to Friends Meredith are limited to $1,000 per individual or entity per election cycle.
Contributions are not tax deductible for state or federal income tax purposes. Corporate contributions are accepted.

Jeff Rambo
04-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Someone mentioned pointing this out to the Meredith campaign.

Sent to Masse as well-

Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 11:12 AM
To: 'ken@kenmasse.com'
Subject: $1,000 Contribution Challenge

Mr. Masse,

I have presented this challenge to Mr. Meredith and I will do the same to you. Should you publicly take the same stance as Lt. Bill Hunt (2006 Candidate for Orange County Sheriff) with regards to CCW permits, I will gladly donate $1,000 to your campaign. I will also urge friends, acquaintances, and associates to do the same. To reference Lt. Hunt's stance: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=267600&postcount=21

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,

Jeffrey A. Rambo
Managing Director
323.302.4655 - Office
323.304.5333 - Cell & Data
877.305.9283 - Fax
jeff.rambo@brandergy.com
Brandergy.com: advertising + design
http://www.brandergy.com

rwmagnus
05-08-2006, 2:12 PM
I was advised of this forum by a supporter and want to share with you my views on the 2nd Amendment and the CCW process. I believe that it is the duty of the Sheriff to protect citizen’s constitutional rights not restrict them. The Sheriff swears an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. We in law enforcement face both legal and administrative repercussions if we violate the 1st and 4th Amendments, and rightfully so. For some reason, there are no repercussions for the indiscriminate abuse of our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. As Sheriff of Orange County my policy for the issuance of CCW permits will be as follows:

“I will issue concealed weapons permits (CCW) to any applicant who is a law abiding resident of the county, meets state mandated requirements and is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. The current Sheriff promised to revamp the CCW process. There have been less than 1200 issued CCW`s in a county of 3 million. The majority have been given to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors and to reward political supporters. I will depoliticize the process and establish an annual audit to review each application to ensure the process is unbiased, non-political and equitable.”

This policy is taken verbatim from my reform plan entitled, “A blueprint for a professional Sheriff’s Department and a safer Orange County.” I am the only candidate in the race with a plan for the future that consists of more than politically correct bullet points. The other candidates either do not know the issues because they have no knowledge of the department or are unwilling to admit the problems exist. They are also reluctant to put a plan forward for which they may be criticized. I have no such concerns. This is what I believe and it is what I will do as your Sheriff. My plan is based on over 2 decades in the Orange County Sheriff’s Department and it is not poll driven election year propaganda. It identifies real problems and offers real solutions for the future. My reform plan can be viewed in its entirety at www.billhuntforsheriff.com (http://www.billhuntforsheriff.com). If you are serious about an objective CCW process or are a 2nd amendment advocate, please support my campaign and advise your friends to do the same.

Below is an article from OC Register Reporter Gordon Dillow detailing the failure of the current sheriff’s CCW policy:

The Orange County Register: Gun permit not easy to come by
March 20, 2005

Author: GORDON DILLOW

I don`t walk around with a pistol in my pocket. After all, I don`t have a particularly dangerous job, I certainly don`t carry large amounts of cash or jewels, and nobody is stalking or threatening me -- at least as far as I know. So lugging my .357 Smith & Wesson around with me all day doesn`t seem all that necessary.

But what if I really, really thought I needed to pack a piece for my own protection? Or what if I simply think it`s my constitutional right as a law-abiding citizen to not only keep but to actively bear arms in public? Could I get Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona to issue me a concealed-weapons permit?

The answer is yes, no and maybe.

Carry concealed weapon permits -- CCWs for short -- have long been a contentious issue in Orange County. Back in the 1980s and `90s, then-Sheriff Brad Gates was criticized for allegedly handing out CCW permits as favors to political supporters and denying them to almost everybody else. In fact, some private investigators won almost $500,000 in court judgments against the county after being denied permits.

But when Carona ran for sheriff in 1998, he vowed to change all that, promising to make the permit process less subjective and more standardized. Any law-abiding person who could meet the requirements and demonstrate a valid need to carry a concealed weapon could get a permit.

As you might imagine, this caused some anti-gun folks to suffer a bad case of the vapors. They predicted that Carona would turn 21st-century Orange County into 1880s Dodge City, that there`d be a Glock in every glove compartment, that blood would flow in the streets.

Which of course didn`t happen. Last year, the Orange County Sheriff`s Department processed just 511 applications for CCW permits, of which 472 were ultimately approved -- with most of them going to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors, people who transport large sums of cash, and others who could demonstrate a clear and immediate need to carry a firearm for protection. With the permits good for just two years, the total number of active CCWs issued by the Sheriff`s Department is under 1,000 -- this out of a county population of more than 3 million people.

In fact, people who believe that having guns in the hands of well-trained and law-abiding citizens decreases crime, as opposed to increasing it, wish there were more permits issued, not fewer of them.

I would have expected (the number of applications) to be a lot more than it is, says Evan Carolyn of Evan`s Gunsmithing and Shooter`s World in Orange, who served as an adviser to Carona on his CCW policy and procedures. I don`t think enough people are applying at this time.

That may be partly because a lot of people aren`t even aware that they can apply for a permit.

But it`s mostly because the state-mandated vetting process is extremely intense, requiring 16 hours of training at the applicant`s expense, an in-depth background check that takes months to complete, annual inspection of the firearms, numerous forms and fees. An applicant may even be required to undergo a psychiatric exam by a county-approved shrink. And in the end, the Sheriff`s Department has the final say on whether you get a permit; under state law, a CCW permit is a privilege, not a right.

The fact is that, given the state requirements, it`s a hundred times easier to get a permit to drive a 4,000-pound automobile on a freeway at 65 mph than it is to get a permit to carry a 2-pound revolver in your purse or briefcase. When they find out how difficult it is, most people throw up their hands and say, The heck with it.

Interestingly, according to his spokesman, even Sheriff Carona thinks that`s unfortunate. He welcomes people to come in and apply, as long as they`re willing to accept the responsibilities and be properly trained, says spokesman Jon Fleischman. His attitude is, `Come on down.`

Of course, it`s not my place to either encourage or discourage anyone from seeking a CCW permit.

But if you want more information, you can check out www.ocsd.org/ccwpermit (http://www.ocsd.org/ccwpermit) on the Internet, or call the sheriff`s CCW permit line at (714) 647-7028.

Like I said, it won`t be easy. And maybe it should be made a little easier, as it is in many other states, for law-abiding and well-trained people to carry the tools they think necessary to protect themselves.

But until then, the law is pretty clear. Yes, you can have a pistol in one pocket. But only if you have a permit in the other one.

Gordon Dillow may be reached at (714) 796-7953 or by e-mail at gldillow@aol.com.

It is foolish to expect different results from the same leadership we have today. I will need your help to make a difference. Call (877) OC 4 HUNT to help me get elected.

I like others have assumed this post is from you Mr. Hunt, is that correct? That being the case thank you for posting your position on the CCW permit issues. I would like to hear what you believe constitutes "need" when applying for a permit. Until this is clarified the permit process will always be somewhat subjective.

IMO I am inpressed that you are a career police officer and not just using the sheriff's position as a stepping stone. Please reply regarding the "need" issue for justifying why an applicant desires a CCW license or renewal.

Thank you.

choochboost
05-08-2006, 2:53 PM
Here's what he said when someone else asked a similar question:

My follwup question:

"Ummm, just to be sure - does "state mandated requirements" mean showing "good cause"?

What's "good cause"??"

"Guy,

Personal protection would mean good cause to me.

Bill"

It doesn't get any plainer than that....

Taken from the following link: http://californiaccw.org/posts/list/46.page

rwmagnus
05-08-2006, 4:41 PM
Here's what he said when someone else asked a similar question:

Taken from the following link: http://californiaccw.org/posts/list/46.page

Thanks for the info but I'd rather hear it from Mr. Hunt. My guess is this message has passed thru a gazillion people and I bet things have been lost in the translation.

No offense. Color me a "Doubting Thomas". Guess my expierences have led me not to believe everything I read or hear.

choochboost
05-08-2006, 4:46 PM
No offense.
None taken. I doubt he spends much time on Calguns, so it would probably be easier to get an answer by sending him an email.

madjack956
05-08-2006, 9:12 PM
when is the election?

M. D. Van Norman
05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
The election will be held on June 6th.

choochboost
05-09-2006, 1:17 PM
I got my yard sign.

jimpeel
07-06-2006, 9:01 PM
My question would be as to whether he will issue permits to out-of-county residents who live in shall-not-issue counties like Los Angeles.

Mute
07-07-2006, 10:44 AM
My question would be as to whether he will issue permits to out-of-county residents who live in shall-not-issue counties like Los Angeles.

He doesn't have the authorization to do so except for work related permits which are only good in his county.