PDA

View Full Version : Santa Ana river lakes.

skanless
06-28-2010, 2:44 PM
Has anybody been there? How is the fishing and atmosphere? Is it a clean place or should i avoid going there? Been wanting to check it out but i want to here from fellow cal gunners who been there and see their personal experience. If there is other places near O.C. Let me know of some spots. Thanks

orangeusa
06-28-2010, 2:54 PM
It's a cement pond they stock. You'd be better off to drive to a decent lake... just my personal opinion.

skanless
06-28-2010, 2:59 PM
It's a cement pond they stock. You'd be better off to drive to a decent lake... just my personal opinion.

Thats what i was kind of thinking. Any nice lakes fairly close by?

sbsdexp1
06-28-2010, 3:09 PM
if u go to the source of the santa ana river. aweeesome fishing.
the source of the river is off highway 330 just down the mountain from big bear city and just above redlands

Mstnpete
06-28-2010, 7:07 PM
In OC, there is Irvine Lake which is really good. Corona lake is very good as well.

Here's a list of more fishing lakes in OC.
http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/california/orange/

RANDO
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Has anybody been there? How is the fishing and atmosphere? Is it a clean place or should i avoid going there? Been wanting to check it out but i want to here from fellow cal gunners who been there and see their personal experience. If there is other places near O.C. Let me know of some spots. Thanks

i go there to kill time and drink beer. the atmosphere is hit and miss and it seems like the tweakers working there years ago don't anymore. they stock a lot of fish but their tails are clipped so the 18 lb trout you might be reeling in feels like a 3 lb full tail trout. if you're looking for somewhere to hang out or if you have kids that are bored then its not bad. they have a website i'll PM you

Crazyhorse
06-29-2010, 1:14 PM
Its mostly people who go to drink last few times I was there. Irvine is 100x better but very limited on shore fishing space depending on the water level. But it's not a flooded parking lot....

CH

socalsniper
06-29-2010, 2:37 PM
silverwood is a good lake

Monster
06-29-2010, 3:02 PM
I like Irvine lake for a close place in OC. Santa Ana has no scenery and right off the freeway. Atmosphere is not bad but it doesn't give the effect of doing something outdoors. Silverwood is a cool lake. It has good scenery and decent fishing plus there are many species of fish in it to target which adds to the lure of that lake.

bambam8d1
07-06-2010, 9:11 PM
The guys who own SARL also own Corona Lake and IMperial CAtfish Farms.... so they stock alot of fish in there. went to SARL last monday and limited out on good sized eatin cats in about 2 and a half hours. i went after work on a weekday. weekends are usually a zoo there and full of idiots. Irvine is decent too but like smeone else said, limited shore space. there are a few little free ponds/lakes here in the oc that i recently found after movin out here a couple months ago. And they actually get stocked by DFG. you just gotta hit it that day or the next after stocking otherwise it seems its been fished out already.