PDA

View Full Version : Homeless gun rights?

Rossi357
06-28-2010, 12:38 PM
If you are homeless, where do you fit into the scheme of things?
Your home is the streets?
You have no home, so you have no rights?

duldej
06-28-2010, 12:46 PM
i was homeless once and i tried to buy a gun but i wound-up paying a restocking fee and not taking delivery on it because i couldn't meet residency requirements that are in place for handgun purchases.

heck, it's sometimes a challenge placating the powers that be even with a home regarding residency proof.

i was given the run-around because i had a dl 43 form and an otherwise outdated drivers license card.

CCWFacts
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
The homeless have all the same rights everyone else has, including rights to keep and bear arms.

However, the majority of the homeless would be disqualified by other factors: criminal convictions, narcotics addiction, adjudicated mental incompetence, etc. And most of them are too strung out to get the money together to buy a gun, and are not capable of dealing with the paperwork for doing a legitimate transfer. If they could handle things like that they probably wouldn't be homeless.

Roadrunner
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
If a person is homeless, it would seem that gun rights are the least of their concerns.

Speaking for myself, if I were homeless, I would be concerned about the three most important things, those being food, water and shelter. I think also that if I was homeless, I would do my dead level best to avoid places where there is competition for those resources. As for a weapon, since bullets cost money, and I would venture to say that most homeless people are short on that, a good knife and a stick would probably be far more valuable than a gun. So, it's my opinion that laws like 12020 should be repealed because I believe they are essentially unconstitutional and effect the poor particularly.

taperxz
06-28-2010, 1:01 PM
I think there is an underlying question here though. This really is about rights and not being homeless. SCOTUS has reaffirmed our 2A rights to at least protect our "home" What is considered a home? A house you bought or rent? A room, a travel trailer with no permanent address, a tent, a car? How much time do you have to spend in one place in order to call it "home" If you don't have a permanent "house" does this mean if you live in CA you can't buy a gun? Since you can't is this discrimination? Are your rights now being taken away from you?

These questions in my mind tell me that LOC or CCW's will have to be granted under the McDonald ruling. (IN CA) You now have the federal government protecting your 2A rights to protect yourself, family and property at all times. How could they tell one without a permanent address, that is not a prohibited buyer, he/she can't own a firearm to protect themselves?

usctrojan
06-28-2010, 1:01 PM
I have been told for voting purposes homeless can put cross streets as their address. I am assuming they same should be permissible for gun ownership. Although food, water, and shelter are much bigger concerns than a firearm. None-the-less nobody should be denied any rights due to lack of a formal home.

cbn620
06-28-2010, 2:25 PM
Rights were inherent to property in the minds of many of the founding fathers. We built a system on property. Our country has its origins in capitalism. You don't have a right to property unless you already "own" it, and without property you do not have the same rights as people who have property. This includes property in terms of a residence. It is a Constitutional conundrum in my humble opinion. I do not know how to address the issue.

winnre
06-28-2010, 2:33 PM
When I was homeless I gave my address as 1980 Pontiac Sunbird. That's my car I lived in. :>

taperxz
06-28-2010, 2:52 PM
Rights were inherent to property in the minds of many of the founding fathers. We built a system on property. Our country has its origins in capitalism. You don't have a right to property unless you already "own" it, and without property you do not have the same rights as people who have property. This includes property in terms of a residence. It is a Constitutional conundrum in my humble opinion. I do not know how to address the issue.

WHAT?????? Property might just be your wallet, clothes or vehicle. There is more to property than just land.

bandook
06-28-2010, 3:00 PM
If a person is homeless, it would seem that gun rights are the least of their concerns.

Speaking for myself, if I were homeless, I would be concerned about the three most important things, those being food, water and shelter....

:chris: :D...with a gun, food, water and shelter are easily procured...:D :chris:

bwiese
06-28-2010, 3:10 PM
CA has a proof of residency requirement for handguns (i.e, besides D/L or ID) - you have to show car registration, a current utility bill in your name, or a current signed rental agreement.

This could be affected by RKBA being a near-universal right - a functional homeless person ("gentleman of the road") who consciously chose to 'live free' would not be able to exercise his RKBA under this. (He might also have issues with 'sensitive places' - i.e, sleeping on City Hall's doorstep.)