PDA

View Full Version : long rifle optics

motoxracer42
06-28-2010, 10:55 AM
hey guys im looking for some new optics for my rifles. i have a beautiful .300 weatherby that needs a better scope and i have a .510 dtc here that i cant keep sighted in. what do you guys recommend. i would rather not break the bank but if i have to then o well. thanks

sniper4usmc
06-28-2010, 11:21 AM
I would go with MILLETT BK81001 4-16x50 TRS-1 TAC ILLUM MD RIFLE SCOPE @ Ebay,after Bing Cashback+mrrebates(11% Cashback) around $250 shipped

motoxracer42
06-28-2010, 12:49 PM
OK that looks pretty nice. I'm just wondering if it will hold up. The Guy I got the upper from recommended this NC star scope I have an its not holding up. Shots are like a foot off at 300yds randomly. I read good things about the super sniper 10x42HD. Has anyone used one. Thanks

sniper4usmc
06-28-2010, 12:55 PM
http://www.snipercentral.com/milletttrs.htm
here is review..

You should hurry,if u planning to buy from e bay..Bing CB end 6/30/10

Stringer
06-28-2010, 1:11 PM
Stay away from NCStar. Far away. If I was you, I'd stay away from Chinese-made (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-61052.html) scopes altogether. So far in my experience and that of my friends, there is only one chicom scope that is still functional. It's a Mueller APT, and it's mounted on a .22LR with less than 1k rounds through it. It was a warranty replacement for the APT that couldn't hold zero. Made in China = crapshoot. You might get a good one, but do you really want to gamble?

Super Snipers are awesome. Nikon Buckmasters is another good scope for the dough. Sightron, Vortex, and Weaver are other good companies. Some Vortexes are made in China, but Vortex customer service is second to none.

If I was you, I'd get a Super Sniper. The 10xHD is nice since it has matching reticle and turrets. Also, excellent glass and extremely rugged. The 3-9x is also supposed to be great and also has 0.1 mil turrets, but no adjustable parallax.

Stockton
06-28-2010, 1:14 PM
swfa.com is the maker and seller for super sniper. For the money you can't go wrong. To do it right I suggest nightforce or USO.

Black Majik
06-28-2010, 1:21 PM
hey guys im looking for some new optics for my rifles. i have a beautiful .300 weatherby that needs a better scope and i have a .510 dtc here that i cant keep sighted in. what do you guys recommend. i would rather not break the bank but if i have to then o well. thanks

The .300 weatherby sounds like a hunting rifle, a Leupold VXII, Nikon buckmaster, Burris Fullfield or Zeiss Conquest should fit the bill.

For the .510 DTC you'll probably have to break the bank a little to get a quality 30mm tube with consistent tracking, enough adjustments and external turrets. I have found used Leupold Mark 4 PRs for affordable prices. Maybe a SWFA 10x will fit the bill though it may lack a bit of magnification.

joefreas
06-28-2010, 1:51 PM
Im having the same problem with my DTC. I broke a sightmark, and a konus. They are being sent in for warranty so we'll see what happens there. I really liked the konus but the reticle rotated after only a couple of shots. If they don't work out for the 50 I will be trying a SWFA SS 20x42.

motoxracer42
06-28-2010, 1:59 PM
right on i didnt know they made them in higher magnification. im more worried about getting my dtc going. i shoot it alot more. i shoot it more than my AR lol. ill also check out nightforce and uso. thanks guys.

joefreas
06-28-2010, 2:03 PM
I really like the Nightforce it is just a little out of the budget right now. I'm hooked on the 50 too. My favorite rifle to shoot-

Black Majik
06-28-2010, 2:07 PM
right on i didnt know they made them in higher magnification. im more worried about getting my dtc going. i shoot it alot more. i shoot it more than my AR lol. ill also check out nightforce and uso. thanks guys.

Heck, if you're looking at Nightforce and US Optics, might as well check out Schmidt and Bender along with Premier Reticles.

ZX-10R
06-28-2010, 2:14 PM
Depends on budget. I myself refuse to buy anything that will also buy me another rifle or handgun. However, if you have the money to burn look at all those big names...But if you are not shooting sub 1 MOA...Do not bother and maybe work on your shooting by buying more ammo than pouring thousands into a scope that will out shoot you.

Wyseguy
06-28-2010, 2:22 PM
SNOWWIS

motoxracer42
06-28-2010, 2:25 PM
Depends on budget. I myself refuse to buy anything that will also buy me another rifle or handgun. However, if you have the money to burn look at all those big names...But if you are not shooting sub 1 MOA...Do not bother and maybe work on your shooting by buying more ammo than pouring thousands into a scope that will out shoot you.

i completely agree. i think i will go with the swfa. i like the nightforce but hopefully the supersniper will hold up. so heres my choice now. the 10x42HD $800 or the 20x42 $300.

Stringer
06-28-2010, 2:30 PM
You'll never improve as a shooter with a scope that doesn't hold zero.
You'll never improve as a rifleman with a scope that dials unpredictable comeups and doesn't return to zero.

At least buy a scope that is mechanically proficient. NF is the standard for mechanical precision and durability. SWFA SS is right up there with NF. Issues with other makers, including USO and Premier, are not uncommon.

BTW 20x is way too much magnification IMO. If you are hunting, I'd go with the SS 3-9x or fixed 6x. The 10x would be a good magnification for target shooting, tactical matches...20x is a good magnification for watching your heartbeat through a mirage.

motoxracer42
06-28-2010, 3:04 PM
You'll never improve as a rifleman with a scope that dials unpredictable comeups and doesn't return to zero.

At least buy a scope that is mechanically proficient. NF is the standard for mechanical precision and durability. SWFA SS is right up there with NF. Issues with other makers, including USO and Premier, are not uncommon.

BTW 20x is way too much magnification IMO. If you are hunting, I'd go with the SS 3-9x or fixed 6x. The 10x would be a good magnification for target shooting, tactical matches...20x is a good magnification for watching your heartbeat through a mirage.

that solves it. 10x42hd it is. thanks guys.

joefreas
06-28-2010, 3:12 PM
Not a hunting rifle, usually shooting 400-1000 yards. Every time I have my variable power scopes out I have them about 24x or so. That is why I thought to get the 20x.

shooting4life
06-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Love my premier 5x25. If you have the coin they are a great scope same with s&b, hendsolt, USO, etc

ZX-10R
06-29-2010, 1:10 PM
i completely agree. i think i will go with the swfa. i like the nightforce but hopefully the supersniper will hold up. so heres my choice now. the 10x42HD $800 or the 20x42 $300.

I am thinking of a HB AR since I regret selling my XR. So I am thinking of either the HB AR or M700 VTR or SPS. I like to shoot for accuracy and have access to a range that is 400 yrds. So the 20X is nice for longer distance but the 10X is a good magnification for bench shooters at 100yrds. Should be 10ft at 100yrds with 10x. This is where I would like a scope that is variable magnification like 6x-24x with side parallax adjustment or even front parallax adjustment. But if I were in your shoes 20x for $300 is more along the lines of what I would look for. The $500 you save by going that route gets you 500+ rounds or more of ammo which you can use to sight your scope, refine your style/ technique, and then shoot until your arm goes limp. That is what I would do...As I said most scope would out shoot everyone here, let alone the gun.

Good luck with that. I am sure when I start my bench shooter build, I will be looking for feedback as well.

Stringer
06-29-2010, 2:04 PM
Check out this thread (http://caprc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=480&start=150) starting with "Ask the two guys on the line that had 20x super snipers if they would buy one again... ;)"

BTW, these men were shooting at 100 to a hair over 1000 yards.

If you are just bench shooting, at one distance, I guess a 20x fixed wouldn't be that frustrating (although I very rarely use 24x magnification on my 6-24x scope, I'm usually at 6x or 12x). But if you are going from target to target, hitting targets at varied distances, or tracking a moving target, 20x is ridiculously high magnification. Guaranteed to handicap you. In a timed match, it would be almost impossible to use 20x.

joefreas
06-30-2010, 3:15 PM
I ordered up some super sniper scopes last night. I am going to test them out on Friday and will let you know how it goes.

Sunday
06-30-2010, 5:22 PM
Leupold. Great warranty service. My Dad bought a 300 Weatherby in 1961 from Roos Bros. in San Francisco I went with him to buy it. In 1995 I took it out to shoot it and it cloverleafed 3 shot groups. I thought pretty good with the worlds thinnest barrel. Anymore than 3 shots the group would open up. Anyway I noticed the coating was flaking on the lens so I called Weatherby and explained the problem and it was my dads and did not have the receipt and it was purchased in 1961 . The Weatherby rep said it doesn't matter we have a lifetime warranty send it in. I did and within a 2 weeks I was back on the rifle. Leupolds are a good value.