PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Architecture Summer Internship

Dubster
06-28-2010, 11:41 AM
For my Daughter. She is going to finish her 5th year in Architecture at Cal Poly, Pomona this fall. Just finished her 4th year in Florence, Italy.

She already has a couple of Associate degrees.

She just needs a paying, summer internship or a summer job. She is available full time for the summer.

Thanks for any leads.

Robidouxs
06-28-2010, 3:55 PM
For my Daughter. She is going to finish her 5th year in Architecture at Cal Poly, Pomona this fall. Just finished her 4th year in Florence, Italy.

She already has a couple of Associate degrees.

She just needs a paying, summer internship or a summer job. She is available full time for the summer.

Thanks for any leads.

I would advise that she sends out letters of inquiry to as many places as possible and go from there. That is how I landed my paying internship for the summer as part of my Master's program. I'm not an in architecture, but she should be prepared to take unpaid part time work in her field; it will pay off in the end that she has experience.

What Just Happened?
06-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Unfortunately, construction is one of the worst-hit industries right now and I know a couple architectural firms that have laid off a good portion of their staff in the past year-and-a-half (even the semi-senior members). A paid internship might be difficult to come by, but like Robidouxs said, send out letters of inquiry and resumes / CV's. Most architectural firms don't really have / announce internships on their websites.

P.S. The easiest way to get a list of all the architectural firms would be to contact reprographics companies and see if you can get some contact info / client list from them.

Curtis
06-29-2010, 9:42 PM
I agree with "Robidouxs" and "What Just Happened." Every architecture firm I work with is running on 25% of their former staffing. If you like I can provide some of my contact, but I can't do much more than that.

To expand the search she may want to consider working with construction companies or engineering firms. Although it won't be dealing with her main area, it will expose her to other areas of her industry....it may be more valuable.

I wish her the best of luck.

What Just Happened?
06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
To expand the search she may want to consider working with construction companies or engineering firms. Although it won't be dealing with her main area, it will expose her to other areas of her industry....it may be more valuable.

+1 on that. A lot of the architects I meet with do their best to understand the trades they work with. If they don't account for enough room in the ceiling space for all the ductwork, electrical, lights, plumbing, etc then they just lost over a foot of their ceiling height and they might not meet code for certain areas. Architects need to know what all the trades require, else they won't be able to do their project management very well.

Dubster
06-30-2010, 8:48 AM
Thanks for the responses. It looks like it's going to be a tough summer for her.

It looks like she may have to just find any paying job she can find at this point.

berto
07-05-2010, 2:13 PM
The arch firm I work for interviewed and made summer hiring decisions in early June. Most of our summer help started mid/late June.

Send a resume to every firm she can find. Getting paid might not be an option. The industry is having a rough time though some firms/offices are thriving.

stomper4x4
07-05-2010, 5:46 PM
Yep my Mom and brother both work in architecture and are both down to part time. Both of them have had most of their fellow employees laid off. Its tough out there. But offering a free internship might be just what some of these cash strapped places need so don't give up without trying!