PDA

View Full Version : Enough of McDonald -- Call Sacto NOW! ! !

Paladin
06-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Okay folks, McDonald has been decided. Let's let the Legal Eagles at CGF analyze the opinion and plan their next moves.

For the rest of us, antis in Sacto never stop, so we've got to stop them. Four important bills are in play in Sacto and three of them are being voted on tomorrow (two bad ones: AB1810 long gun registration and AB2223 lead shot ban; and one good one, SB1179 apprentice hunter days). We've got to call make our voice heard IMMEDIATELY!

To get linked to webpages w/the different committee members names and phone numbers, go to the original story at: http://www.nraila.org/GrassrootsAlerts/read.aspx

CALIFORNIA:
Long Gun Registration Bill Scheduled for a Hearing on Tuesday, June 29 Assembly Bill 1810 is scheduled to be considered by the Senate Public Safety Committee on Tuesday, June 29. AB1810 would establish a registration system, similar to the one currently in place for handguns, for all newly-acquired long guns. Under AB1810, the make, model and serial number of the firearm, as well as the identifying information of the purchaser would be recorded and kept on file by the California Attorney General's office. Please contact the members of the Senate Public Safety Committee TODAY and strongly voice your opposition to AB1810. Contact information can be found here.

Important California Pro-Hunting Bill to be Considered Next Week! On Tuesday, June 29, the Assembly Water, Parks, and Wildlife Committee will meet to consider Senate Bill 1179. Introduced by State Senator Dennis Hollingsworth (R-36), SB1179 would require the Department of Fish and Game to establish two free hunting days per year where unlicensed hunters can hunt if they are accompanied by someone who is licensed. This legislation promises to help recruit the next generation of hunters by allowing novices to try their hand at hunting without initially being required to purchase a license. Please contact the members of the Assembly Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee and respectfully urge them to support SB1179. Contact information for the committee can be found here.

Open Carry Ban and Lead Ammo Ban Moving Forward On Tuesday, June 22, Assembly Bill 1934 (Open Carry Ban) was passed by the Senate Public Safety Committee. The bill now heads to the Senate Appropriations Committee for consideration. Also on Tuesday, Assembly Bill 2223 (Lead Shot Ban) was defeated in the Senate Natural Resources Committee on a 4 to 3 vote. Unfortunately, the bill was granted reconsideration and will be voted on again on Tuesday, June 29. To learn more about these bills, please click here. Simply put, AB1934 would outlaw the open carrying of a handgun for self-defense while AB2223 would outlaw the use of lead shot when shooting or hunting in state-run wildlife management areas. There is no scientific evidence justifying this proposed ban. Please contact the members of the Senate Appropriations Committee and respectfully urge them to oppose AB1934. Also, please continue to contact the Senate Natural Resources Committee and urge them to oppose AB2223. Contact information for both committees can be found here.

smokeysbandit
06-28-2010, 1:05 PM
I just got done calling them all again. I was also told that senator Cogdil has received a lot of calls about the bills, and will be voting no on them.

Don't just read this thread and think others will call, or it doesn't matter, GET ON THE PHONE!
-Brandon

oepirate
06-28-2010, 1:46 PM
Calls made. As a note: I was told vice chair Dave Cogdil will be voting no on ab1810.

winnre
06-28-2010, 2:49 PM
Tell me why long gun registration is bad? To us users there is no difference in the buying process.....

Lead-Thrower
06-28-2010, 2:57 PM
Calls made, emails sent. Wish there was something more I could do. :shrug:

haveyourmile
06-28-2010, 2:59 PM
Tell me why long gun registration is bad? To us users there is no difference in the buying process.....

They're whittling away at our rights by implementing more regulations

timmyb21
06-28-2010, 3:00 PM
Called, got a very polite thank you, I'll assume it didn't mean "I'll vote how I want, you just accept it." Long gun registration is bad not becasue it'll have an effect on the buying process, but because the state is trying to keep records of what we have. It's another tool for them to regulate firearms, and could help them when they decide to confiscate our guns.

bwiese
06-28-2010, 3:06 PM
Paladin brings up a very, very good point indeed.

While we're all dancing about McDonald, the daily hard work in CA still needs to be done: putting pressure on CA politicians.

Somehow I've sensed less engagement from Calgunners on various gun issues - but if I said DOJ was gonna do a new regulation about bayonet lugs, I'm sure I could fill a room/auditorium, etc..

Folks, it doesn't matter how many fancy features your gun has if it's harder or costlier to get ammo (i.e, lead bans etc.)

We can expect at least in the short term more BS laws that have to be fought, regardless of how well our side did today.

Get engaged - http://www.calnra.com (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/www.calnra.com)

sd_shooter
06-28-2010, 3:21 PM
Above link did not work, fixed:

http://www.calnra.com/

dieselcarpenter
06-28-2010, 3:24 PM
So given that both have passed the Assembly completely (if I read around the capitol correctly) feel free to correct me if Iím wrong.

What is the current schedule?

What is the likelihood they will both pass the senate and be signed (despite our best efforts of course)?

Can these be successfully be fought with McDonalds ruling or are we pretty much in for another long slog back to SCOTUS (if even) or will we see these stand and be screwed forever, (barring a conservative/libertarian revival and repealing them)?

It seems to me that SCOTUS's ruling today only can apply to outright bans on firearms themselves so registration and lead bans do not cross the line, or am I misguided?

sd_shooter
06-28-2010, 3:29 PM
Regarding AB1810 the Long Gun registration, call these senators. [B]I was able to get through to all of them on the first ring:

Please contact the members of the Senate Public Safety Committee TODAY and strongly voice your opposition to AB1810. Contact information can be found below.

SENATE PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE:

State Senator Mark Leno (Chair)
(916) 651-4003
senator.leno@senate.ca.gov

State Senator Dave Cogdill (Vice-Chair)
(916) 651-4014
State Senator Gilbert Cedillo
(916) 651-4022

State Senator Loni Hancock
(916) 651-4009

State Senator Robert Huff
(916) 651-4029

State Senator Darrell Steinberg
(916) 651-4006

State Senator Roderick Wright
(916) 651-4025

haveyourmile
06-28-2010, 3:34 PM
Done.

sd_shooter
06-28-2010, 3:38 PM
Call these people regarding AB2223, the shotgun ammo ban. I got through to all of them, again on the first ring:

SENATE NATURAL RESOURCES COMMITTEE:
State Senator Fran Pavley (Chair)
(916) 651-4023

State Senator Dennis Hollingsworth
(916) 651-4036

State Senator Robert Huff
(916) 651-4029

State Senator Christine Kehoe
(916) 651-4039

State Senator Alan Lowenthal
(916) 651-4027

State Senator Alex Padilla
(916) 651-4020

State Senator Joe Simitian
(916) 651-4011

State Senator Lois Wolk
(916) 651-4005

sd_shooter
06-28-2010, 3:47 PM
AB1934 anti- open carry committee here, got through to all of these without trouble:

SENATE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE:

State Senator Christine Kehoe (Chair)
(916) 651-4039

State Senator Dave Cox (Vice-Chair)
(916) 651-4001

State Senator Elaine Alquist
(916) 651-4013

State Senator Ellen Corbett
(916) 651-4010

State Senator Jeff Denham
(916) 651-4012

State Senator Mark Leno
(916) 651-4003

State Senator Curren Price
(916) 651-4026

State Senator Mimi Walters
(916) 651-4033

State Senator Lois Wolk
(916) 651-4005

State Senator Mark Wyland
(916) 651-4038

State Senator Leland Yee
(916) 651-4008

Let's get those phones ringing! :D

Paladin
06-28-2010, 4:32 PM
My fear is that many Calgunners think that with Heller-McDonald we've somehow entered into the RKBA promised land known as "Free America," and that the antis in Sacto will just roll over and die. We haven't and they won't. Rather, they've charged ahead w/long gun registration after seeing that Heller states registration would probably be found constitutional.

The antis, esp in Sacto, are going to try to pass as many laws as they can to restrict our RKBA. Our side is wrong if we assume that all those laws will be found unconstitutional. Our side is wrong if we assume it is wiser/easier just to let these laws pass and to fight them in the courts. Our side is very wrong if we assume it is cheaper to let them pass and fight them in the courts.

Unless we can all start donating tens of thousands of dollars to CGF, we'd better pick up our phones and try to kill these bills before they become laws. That is the wiser, easier, safer, and cheaper way to protect our just recognized 2nd A RKBA.

grammaton76
06-28-2010, 4:37 PM

There are a number of legal non-papered ways to buy guns in California.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalCaliforniaPaperlessGuns

I haven't read the text of this bill in particular, but I suspect that at a bare minimum it's doing away with our no-waiting-period sales of the Mosins and Mausers which pose such a huge percentage of the robberies out there...

Crom
06-28-2010, 4:48 PM
Regarding AB1810 the Long Gun registration, call these senators. [B]I was able to get through to all of them on the first ring:

I called them all!

sd_shooter
06-28-2010, 5:47 PM
I called them all!

Nice work.

Keep up the calls everyone.

Cokebottle
06-28-2010, 6:53 PM
Yes, there is.

Currently, the only detailed information is on the Fed 4473, which remains in the custody of the FFL.
The only thing that the DOJ gets is "Joe bought a long gun"... and it is purged after 5 days.

Also, for C&R guns, any C&R long gun over 50 years old is currently cash and carry in California unless being bought from a dealer.
C&R handguns must still be DROSed and registered.
Requiring registration for all long guns would add C&R long guns to this.

Meplat
06-28-2010, 7:11 PM
ALL registration is bad!

sd_shooter
06-28-2010, 10:32 PM
*bump*

This thread needs to stay at the very top for the next couple days. Night crew, please keep bumping.:cool:

NorCalDustin
06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Hope everyone did their part...

Liberty1
06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
btt

twotap
06-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Registration is just another form of control we do not need or can afford in Ca.

oaklander
06-29-2010, 1:01 AM
Buying process is the same, but now all your long guns will be in the state computer - not just your pistols.

You attitude is what they are banking on.

I'm also told this would eviscerate C&R purchases.

NorCalDustin
06-29-2010, 1:59 AM
Yup... At the end of the day Long Gun Registration is just unneeded and will cost the state even more money. Look at Canada, they really f**ked themselves with their Long Gun Registry and it cost them MILLIONS... This is similar to what they did.

Paladin
06-29-2010, 7:16 AM
Today is the day of the votes.

Don't forget to make all those calls for the THREE BILLS.

johnny_22
06-29-2010, 7:35 AM
1 click email done for long gun registration and banning open carry. A personal note to Senator Corbett (my State Senator) on AB 1934, pointing out the law suits that would occur on both 1st and 2nd amendment grounds, if this passes.

Calls are done for AB1810 (costs and no additional safety for LEOs). Still going on for AB 1934.

edited to add: Senator Joseph Simitian's office was staffed bright and early, and again, I was asked what city I was in.

Capt. Speirs
06-29-2010, 9:24 AM

Your kidding, right? When I file a DROS on a long gun, it is only for a back gorund check. Less than 2 weeks later the information is purged from the DOJ's system. There is no record of a serial number or make on the DROS.

It is no ones business what you own unless you want them to.

You need to watch Red Dawn.

sd_shooter
06-29-2010, 9:57 AM
Keep calling...

johnny_22
06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Rene asked me what city I was in, and I was in the correct city, so, she noted my request for a NO on AB 1934.

POLICESTATE
06-29-2010, 11:07 AM

Because registration is the first step on the road to confiscation.

sd_shooter
06-29-2010, 3:30 PM
Keep calling...

winnre
06-29-2010, 3:47 PM
Hmm I don't see anyone torching the DMV for having to register cars....

Sorry to be a stick in the mud maybe I don't appreciate it fully.

sd_shooter
06-29-2010, 4:02 PM

Because it's yet another step to becoming the next England. Not to mention places like Taiwan where you can't own _any_ firearms.

sd_shooter
06-29-2010, 4:50 PM
*bump*

glockwise2000
06-29-2010, 4:59 PM
bump.

Dark Paladin
06-29-2010, 5:45 PM

You're equating an unstated "privilege" to a explicitly defined "right". Very bad, and playing right into the anti's tactics.

But for the sake of argument, let's continue your analogy. . .

Do you see us needing to register with the government to be able to speak? If you ask why not, you really need to (re-)read the Bill of Rights.

cmaher55
06-29-2010, 6:05 PM

Driving is a "privilege", having a gun is a "Right". Are you clear on this now...? You can voluntarily register your long guns if you like as I think the DOJ has a form for that..... The rest of us decline thank you very much...! Chris

Cokebottle
06-29-2010, 9:44 PM

Driving a car is not a Constitutional right.

Sinixstar
06-29-2010, 10:09 PM

Cars don't have a constitutional amendment protecting them and an entire political lobby hell bent on violating that amendment and banning/confiscating them - at the same time.

While registration taken in an absolute vacuum perhaps serves no nefarious purpose, it also serves no valid purpose. Now taken out of that vacuum - you're still absent a valid purpose, but a nefarious purpose emerges. While there is no direct evidence of a plan to confiscate guns - there is no other logical path that can be reached given the circumstances.

Look at it this way.

It's prom night.
Your daughter's date shows up to pick her up. He has in his pockets the keys to a hotel room, a receipt from the liquor store, and a box of condoms. You don't have any direct evidence that he plans on getting your daughter drunk and naked - but there is no logical explanation that ends with any other outcome. Do you accept that a lack of evidence says he should be given the benefit of the doubt, or do you have a "man to man" talk?

Just in case the analogy isn't clear enough:
We are the "Dad".
The boyfriend is the anti-gun lobby.
The daughter is your RKBA.
You can stand up and put a stop to the shenanigans or you can kick yourself in the *** when the anti-gun lobby screws the hell out of your guns rights.

Can you appreciate that?

TreeServ
06-29-2010, 10:17 PM

Just look at the billion plus dollars the Canadians spent on there registration fiasco...the difference will be born in additional costs, financial and freedom.

Ishoot
06-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Cars don't have a constitutional amendment protecting them and an entire political lobby hell bent on violating that amendment and banning/confiscating them - at the same time.

While registration taken in an absolute vacuum perhaps serves no nefarious purpose, it also serves no valid purpose. Now taken out of that vacuum - you're still absent a valid purpose, but a nefarious purpose emerges. While there is no direct evidence of a plan to confiscate guns - there is no other logical path that can be reached given the circumstances.

Look at it this way.

It's prom night.
Your daughter's date shows up to pick her up. He has in his pockets the keys to a hotel room, a receipt from the liquor store, and a box of condoms. You don't have any direct evidence that he plans on getting your daughter drunk and naked - but there is no logical explanation that ends with any other outcome. Do you accept that a lack of evidence says he should be given the benefit of the doubt, or do you have a "man to man" talk?

Just in case the analogy isn't clear enough:
We are the "Dad".
The boyfriend is the anti-gun lobby.
The daughter is your RKBA.
You can stand up and put a stop to the shenanigans or you can kick yourself in the *** when the anti-gun lobby screws the hell out of your guns rights.

Can you appreciate that?

If this analogy didn't make you call in, I don't know what will. :) Awesome.

N6ATF
06-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Driving a car is not a enumerated Constitutional right.

Fixed.

dantodd
06-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Fixed.

I think fundamental is actually the word of the day.

Mstrty
06-30-2010, 5:16 PM
Can we Stop calling now? What happened?

johnny_22
07-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Can we Stop calling now? What happened?

It was ammended. New version is here:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_1901-1950/ab_1934_bill_20100630_amended_sen_v95.html

BILL HISTORY
June 30 From committee chair, with author's amendments: Amend, and re-refer to committee. Read second time, amended, and re-referred to Com. on APPR.

Not dead, yet.

sd_shooter
07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I tried to read some of the amendments, couldn't make much sense of it.

Will this bill also kill carrying of all kinds on BLM land?

johnny_22
07-02-2010, 3:35 PM
I tried to read some of the amendments, couldn't make much sense of it.

Will this bill also kill carrying of all kinds on BLM land?

There is an exception for hunting:

"(6) The open carrying of an unloaded handgun by a licensed hunter
while engaged in lawful hunting or while
transporting that handgun when going to or returning from
that hunting expedition ."

So, with a hunting license you could carry. Not clear if you could shoot at targets, and not ground squirrels.

Best for us is to kill it in Appropriations Committee.