PDA

View Full Version : wild boar,

Grof
06-27-2010, 8:14 PM
hi guys,
went today with friend on his boss property to see any sign for pigs.
After meeting his boss he told us where is his property is and he said pigs come in late summer in his backyard. He told us to hike up to 2 hills and look there for signs, so we did. After one hr of walking we saw a lot of signs of pig dropping or where they looked for worms or other food. So we came to top and look around with binoculars but nothing it was almost 100F. So on our left side about 100yards was like couple of oak trees , brunches were to the ground, I said lets go there and take break and we will go back. Going to this trees I noticed path way going to oaks tree, so about 20 yards I throw one stone inside in tree hope if something is there it will run out, nothing so almost to go inside I decided to throw one more stone and when I did I heard pig noise hrk, hrk, and big boar jumped about 10yard , other followed him I got stone cold, my friend was behind me 20yards and I run back to him , we stopped and saw bunch of pigs going other side to next little wooded area.
It was dumb idea to go there without any weapon. But we saw them in close and dude they were big at least 200-300lb. no feral pig real Russian boars, maybe we were scared or but they are huge.
So we have permission for property and hope we will get some meat on Saturday.
what is the deal with parasite trihinella, does any have any info.
thanks,
if something happened I will have pics.

bruce_ventura
06-27-2010, 11:13 PM
It's pig, man. Shoot, field dress, cook well, then eat.

Cleanliness during field dressing is a must, keep hair off the meat, wash meat with vinegar if you want, place in cooler. Backstraps (best), hams and picnic hams can be cooked up as is. Most folks like to make sausage from the lesser cuts. Don't go trophy if you want to eat well - between 100 and 200 lbs should be good eating.

Rem222
06-27-2010, 11:19 PM
It sounds like you have a good chance of taking a pig. When I've hunted them in the past they have been most active in the early morning or just before sunset..... Good luck...

lewdogg21
06-28-2010, 7:51 AM
It's pig, man. Shoot, field dress, cook well, then eat.

Cleanliness during field dressing is a must, keep hair off the meat, wash meat with vinegar if you want, place in cooler. Backstraps (best), hams and picnic hams can be cooked up as is. Most folks like to make sausage from the lesser cuts. Don't go trophy if you want to eat well - between 100 and 200 lbs should be good eating.

Not sure of the OP's experience level so I'll elaborate. After your pig is down you want to field dress and get it skinned out ASAP. Heat is the enemy of your animal once dead. If your able too, get it skinned out and wipe it down with clean water and paper towels to get all hair and other non desirables off. Try to keep flies and all the other woodland insects off.

My family will splash vinegar on the animal after cleaning it as to provide another level of protection. I don't know if this actually does anything but it's another measure. The faster you can get it into a cooler full of ice or a cold box the better. Remember to keep your meat cool and dry. If your meat is sitting in water it will ruin it.

Enjoy.

tpuig
06-28-2010, 7:59 AM
Take me with you. I'll hold the book while you read how to clean the pig... ;-)

dwa
06-28-2010, 10:52 AM
when you do the ice make sure either the pig or the ice is in a bag to prevent the meat from getting wet.(as per the hunter safety course I just attended)

Grof
06-28-2010, 1:16 PM
Take me with you. I'll hold the book while you read how to clean the pig... ;-)

I am happy to get permission to go there and you will get nice picture. :)

bigboarstopper
06-28-2010, 6:55 PM
everything to prevent meat spoilage has pretty much been said above. One thing people either dont know or forget is not to put the meat in plastic bags. Fresh meat in plastic bags will spoil pretty much regardless of the temperature. It needs to breathe. Store it cold, in game bags or pillow cases until its able to be cleaned, cut, wraped and frozen.

tpuig
06-28-2010, 8:24 PM
Over a period of a couple weeks, I made some blocks of ice with a large 64oz plastic 7-11 mug in my freezer and then put them in plastic bags in the cooler for the trip. They don't melt fast, and inside a cooler they're great for this. Cost a lot less than 20 bags of ice, too... if you have the chance to do it ahead of time.

and you can get the game bags at Cabela's or Big5.

mzimmers
07-04-2010, 2:33 PM
When I've hunted them in the past they have been most active in the early morning or just before sunset.....

Yep, and especially this time of year. From my limited experience, the one thing pigs really don't like is heat. During the summer, when temperatures are high, they're generally tough to find during legal hunting hours. They like to sleep off the day and go for food/water at night.

Be out before light, and be prepared to act fast. Once the sun's been up for an hour or so, they tend to become invisible.

owenriquez
07-05-2010, 12:31 PM
GROF, I live in daly City, my name is Owen my email address is owen040653@yahoo.com. If ice is not available, salt is the best alternate... PLEASE BRING ME WITH YOU, I'll share with the expense... PLEASE... PLEASE... PLEASE

guns_and_labs
07-05-2010, 1:50 PM
My family will splash vinegar on the animal after cleaning it as to provide another level of protection. I don't know if this actually does anything but it's another measure. The faster you can get it into a cooler full of ice or a cold box the better. Remember to keep your meat cool and dry. If your meat is sitting in water it will ruin it.

Enjoy.

The vinegar is more to keep the insects off. I keep a spray bottle with some vinegar and water, and spray it as I skin. I put ice cubes in, but that probably doesn't help - just makes me happy.

I echo the warning: dress and skin QUICKLY. The meat can spoil in less than 30 minutes of 100 degree heat. Personally I would even bone it out in the field, and get it on ice.

Seesm
07-05-2010, 1:59 PM
I want to go WITH you OP!! Take me with you canyon man!!

problemchild
07-06-2010, 9:31 AM
If he was an hour away from his car over two hills how will he carry all that meat back and get it on ice in 30 minutes? Two guys only? In 100f+ heat?

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-06-2010, 9:37 AM
I've killed many hogs in hot weather, and never had 1 spoil in 30min. Just get it cool as fast as you can. If it will be awhile till you get it cool, get the meat off the bone, that will help it cool.