PDA

View Full Version : Military moveing to Calif.

pd5190
06-27-2010, 5:31 PM
I am sure this has been covered at sometime but the Eldest will be stationed in Calif, for the next two years. He has three weapons to the best of my knowledge. Two long guns and one pistol. What are his concerns regarding the pistol?

jl123
06-27-2010, 5:34 PM
Threaded barrel, high cap mag are a no go....has to be registered.

ke6guj
06-27-2010, 5:42 PM
have him look at the handgun flowchart to determine if it is legal to possess in CA. Same for the long guns.

If any of them are determined to be AWs, he can get a Military Assault Weapons Permit to possess those AWs while he is PCS'ed in CA.

But he won't be able to import any large capacity magazines that he did not possess in CA before 2000.

pd5190
06-27-2010, 8:46 PM
Shotgun and lever action long gun unless he has figured out a way to bring a souvenir home from Afghanistan. The pistol is a Kimber he also will be taking delivery on a Sig. custom ordered for his unit. Models I am not sure of but I am sure the magazine capacity will be a problem. I will tell him when he gets home.

stitchnicklas
06-27-2010, 8:57 PM
tell him to buy all other goodie guns and such before he moves here,less hassle to buy after he moves here,ar's&ak's must have bullet buttons...unless he does the aw registration

ironman5669
06-27-2010, 9:10 PM
just a suggestion, STI frame kits sell very well Here in kommiefornia if someone had a couple he could make a pretty penny.

Deamer
06-27-2010, 11:48 PM
....has to be registered. I believe that military are not required to register the pistols they bring in. It in the DOJ Faq section if I remember right.

Quiet
06-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I believe that military are not required to register the pistols they bring in. It in the DOJ Faq section if I remember right.

Correct. [PC 12001(o)(2)]

Penal Code 12001
(n) As used in this chapter, a "personal handgun importer" means an individual who meets all of the following criteria:
(1) He or she is not a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
(2) He or she is not a licensed manufacturer of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code.
(3) He or she is not a licensed importer of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) He or she is the owner of a handgun.
(5) He or she acquired that handgun outside of California.
(6) He or she moves into this state on or after January 1, 1998, as a resident of this state.
(7) He or she intends to possess that handgun within this state on or after January 1, 1998.
(8) The handgun was not delivered to him or her by a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071 who delivered that firearm following the procedures set forth in Section 12071 and subdivision (c) of Section 12072.
(9) He or she, while a resident of this state, had not previously reported his or her ownership of that handgun to the Department of Justice in a manner prescribed by the department that included information concerning him or her and a description of the firearm.
(10) The handgun is not a firearm that is prohibited by subdivision (a) of Section 12020.
(11) The handgun is not an assault weapon, as defined in Section 12276 or 12276.1.
(12) The handgun is not a machinegun, as defined in Section 12200.
(13) The person is 18 years of age or older.
(o) For purposes of paragraph (6) of subdivision (n):
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), residency shall be determined in the same manner as is the case for establishing residency pursuant to Section 12505 of the Vehicle Code.
(2) In the case of members of the Armed Forces of the United States, residency shall be deemed to be established when he or she was discharged from active service in this state.