PDA

View Full Version : .308 vs 5.56

jbstruthers
06-27-2010, 3:41 PM
Well.

I think Armageddon will come unleashing chaos in my life time so with that in mind this is what I want, to be ready. :)

I want a POF .308 lower and the necessary components because it's just simply more powerful yet still in the handy and familiar layout as a 5.56.

BUT 5.56 ammo is cheaper to practice and target shoot with AND it will most likely be more readily available then .308 rounds once the world comes(meaning no more order, not the Earth blowing up) to an end. Basically there is more 5.56 rounds then .308 rounds in the world, as of now. right?

I know it's extreme but I am extreme, I guess.
:)

I LOVE the 5.56 but I love the .308 round cause I used it in my friends M1A socom and it is just right. And to me, having it in the familiar and lovely AR format is the ticket, hands down.

What are you ideas on .308 vs 5.56 in MY strange yet possible situation.

UserM4
06-27-2010, 3:42 PM
deadhorse.jpg

Sinixstar
06-27-2010, 4:26 PM
I think worrying about "ammo availability" assumes you're going to be shooting thousands upon thousands of rounds at a time. Just not really realistic. Shouldn't be a terribly big concern I wouldn't think.

toopercentmlk
06-27-2010, 4:26 PM
I have never heard this argument before.

tomd1584
06-27-2010, 4:45 PM
I'm interested too, since this has never come up here before.

cgseanp1
06-27-2010, 5:06 PM
living in fantasy land?

wilson_wwsc
06-27-2010, 5:09 PM
9mm

maxwellca21
06-27-2010, 5:46 PM
I have never heard this argument before.

lol me neither. I think you are the first guy on here that brought up this subject.

rifle man
06-27-2010, 11:45 PM
.308 vs 5.56 is like tank vs vw, so is the cost. POF=$$$. Nice weapon system.

Mr_Monkeywrench
06-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I believe the 5.56 is a great round. Can carry plenty and there is plenty available. Besides its been getting the job done world wide for the past 40 years.

garrett916
06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
.308 vs 5.56 is like tank vs vw, so is the cost. POF=$$$. Nice weapon system.

hahaha exactly. the 5.56 would be more practicasl for carring large amounts of ammo and lighter but the 308 would have the power to do just about anything its like comparing the pros and cons of a hummer or tank. one is better for one situation the other in a defferent situation

Corbin Dallas
06-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Well.

I think Armageddon will come unleashing chaos in my life time so with that in mind this is what I want, to be ready. :)

I want a POF .308 lower and the necessary components because it's just simply more powerful yet still in the handy and familiar layout as a 5.56.

BUT 5.56 ammo is cheaper to practice and target shoot with AND it will most likely be more readily available then .308 rounds once the world comes(meaning no more order, not the Earth blowing up) to an end. Basically there is more 5.56 rounds then .308 rounds in the world, as of now. right?

I LOVE the 5.56 but I love the .308 round cause I used it in my friends M1A socom and it is just right. And to me, having it in the familiar and lovely AR format is the ticket, hands down.

Your second post and you're making friends already....

:chris:

Black Majik
06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Well.

.223 = 22LR
.308 = wussy 9mm

Get a .416 barrett for SHTF. Ronny will still support the rifle and caliber when all hell breaks loose. Who needs practice when an miss will still tear limbs off.

Trapper
06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Buy both on your credit card, then when armageddon comes you won't have to make any more payments. It's almost like getting both rifles for FREE!
You should get a couple cases of ammo and some mags too.

jbstruthers
06-28-2010, 1:19 PM
dang. I really like all you guys. On my other forum, for my rare car, I get infractions and suspensions and *** paddling all the time. But here you guys are cool. HIGH FIVE.

I have to say the one about who needs practice when even a miss can remove limbs is THE BEST. ever.

Funny cause I just say something on hist, disc, or tlc about the m16's history and the 5.56/.223 round is generally a GREAT round! And lighter.

And about the thousands of rounds let me clarify something.

I'm thinking as if everyone turned into a zombie but myself. I would need a lot of ammo.

SO . . . 5.56 or .308 ?

:43:

Thanks guys. I've decided.

the only .308 lower i'd use is POF but 400ish $ tag made me soft.
5.56 IT IS.

thanks my new best friends forever(s)?

randy
06-28-2010, 2:16 PM
After reading your post I'd say spend your money on training before you fill up on guns you don't know how to deploy.

Sorry sounds cold but.....

audiophil2
06-28-2010, 2:34 PM
if you are worried about zombies then all you need is 9mm in my humble opinion. Buy a Glock 26, 19, or 17 and build a 9mm AR. You will then have two guns and one ammo. 9mm is even cheaper than .223 as you can still get zombie fodder for $220/1000 at Wally World.

winnre
06-28-2010, 2:40 PM
I always thought the most proliferate high powered rifle ammo was 30-06.

kapache
06-28-2010, 2:47 PM
Buy both on your credit card, then when armageddon comes you won't have to make any more payments. It's almost like getting both rifles for FREE!
You should get a couple cases of ammo and some mags too.

LOL good one, never though of that one.

Jonathan Doe
06-28-2010, 3:06 PM
I am fine with about 3,000 rounds of 308 match ammo and couple of M-1A's I have. I also haev cpouple of AR's and couple of thousands of 223 ammo. That should be enough.

SKSer
06-28-2010, 3:18 PM
I have a AR in 5.56 and I love it, I also have a stevens 200 in .308 and i love that too. When the Zombies invade I will be running around with the AR out and the .308 strapped across my back. Just like COD baby YEEEEAAAAAA....J/K....about the whole thing....except the guns.... I really have the guns.

Marlin Hunter
06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
If KAOS ever does show up, you will have other things to worry about besides which ammo and rifle would be the best choice. Unless you live on top of a hill surrounded with booby traps, barbed wire, and claymores, the type of weapon you chose will be irrelevant since luck will play a greater roll in your survival than anything else. A lot of people mistakenly believe that when the SHTF everything will suddenly turn into a scripted theatrical production where the "HERO" (them) will be the only one smart enough to figure out what is going on, and the bad guys will wait until the least opportune moment to attack the hero, so that he can easily defeat them. Realistically you will need to move around to find water and food. A .22LR may be more useful than a 223 or 308. And a 308 or 223 is as useless as nothing at all when you are asleep.

http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/graphics/kaos_logoblue.jpg
http://www.327infantry.org/images/fb_berchtesgaden.jpg?phpMyAdmin=2a8cbab6008b35bc26 2dc17200499568

jbstruthers
06-29-2010, 1:10 PM
After reading your post I'd say spend your money on training before you fill up on guns you don't know how to deploy.

Sorry sounds cold but.....

Training for what exactly? I don't deploy guns, I use them.

anyway. . .

yeah. I plan to replace my stock with a shot gun so if a zombie gets to close I can whip the ar over my shoulder with the buttstock facing them, obviously, and kablohewee. (whatever that means)

Or when I buttstock a zombies face, just to make sure, I can kablohewee at the same time.

I also want a machete like the one in The book of eli. wowzer.

k thanks folks.

buh bye

Timberwolf
06-29-2010, 1:24 PM
Just get a good sling shot (wrist rocket comes to mind) abd a couple of lbs of 8 and 10 mm steel balls and go fron there.

Sheepdog1968
06-29-2010, 1:37 PM
It's all about shot placement. I would feel content with either caliber if I had to defend myself. Like someone else said, I would take lots of training with what you already own and practice. It's not the tool, it's you and your ability. And no, you won't rise to the occassion. You will sink to the level of half your ability when training when it's for real.

Spaceghost
06-29-2010, 3:18 PM
When I read about how you want a back up shot gun mounted in the stock of your ar, so you can turn the shot gun AWAY from you and at the threat, this is all I could think.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/cacodman/cathalpdog-620x.jpg

/thread

Training for what exactly? I don't deploy guns, I use them.

anyway. . .

yeah. I plan to replace my stock with a shot gun so if a zombie gets to close I can whip the ar over my shoulder with the buttstock facing them, obviously, and kablohewee. (whatever that means)

Or when I buttstock a zombies face, just to make sure, I can kablohewee at the same time.

I also want a machete like the one in The book of eli. wowzer.

k thanks folks.

buh bye