PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with my new Kimber, any suggestions?

Waldog
06-27-2010, 9:22 AM
Trouble with my Eclipse II Target, suggestions
I have a new Eclipse II target that has about 300 rounds through it. I am shooting 200gr LSWC reloads that I have shot in 45 pistols for years. I have never had an issue with these loads to chamber. Occasionally a round will start to chamber half way then the slide fails to go to forward to lock up. The cases don't misfeed, they just go in the chamber halfway and stop. A solid "Tap & Rack" will make the round chamber with the barrel locked ready to fire. These rounds pass the "case gauge test" and the feed reliably in all my other 45's. It almost seems like the barrel has a "tight" chamber. I did a super clean job and used Slide-Glide grease from Brian Enos. It seemed to help a little but I still get 5-7 failure to chamber out of 100 rounds. Any suggestions??

tiko
06-27-2010, 9:32 AM
I get a Kimber Raptor, same FTF like yours, I have to reduce the OAL of my 200gr LSWC from 1.25" (fine with my other 1911s) to 1.19", with that, no more FTF. I think the throat of my Raptor is much tighter that others, the ejected brass did not have much side burns like my others SW, SA...

get2now
06-27-2010, 9:51 AM
Sometimes you have to break the edge off the upper part of the feed ramp to the chamber when you use SWC's. Especially with a tight chamber. You can do that with a dremel or if you aren't sure about it take it to a gunsmith.
G

railroader
06-27-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't use a case gauge but I run all my finished rounds through a Lee factory crimp die. It resizes the cases after they are loaded then crimps. This die makes the difference on my loads for my kimber.
Try taking your barrel out, take some of your reloads and drop them into the barrel. They should drop in all the way smoothly. If not you might want to try that Lee die. As for overall length I load my 200s to 1.250". Mark