PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Regularguy
04-06-2006, 4:56 PM
Hi folks,

I am new here and I have a couple of questions about a gun I recently acquired. I got it from a friend of mine in NV that owed me money as partial payment. He was the legal owner of it and he gave it to me. I took it home and I need to know what to do to get it registered.

Help.
Thanks

grammaton76
04-06-2006, 5:00 PM
Hi folks,

I am new here and I have a couple of questions about a gun I recently acquired. I got it from a friend of mine in NV that owed me money as partial payment. He was the legal owner of it and he gave it to me. I took it home and I need to know what to do to get it registered.

Well, the first thing you need to do is find a local gun dealer who can do a transfer for you.

Second thing you need to do, is drive BACK to Nevada and have your friend mail the firearm to the dealer so that you can run through the California-mandated DROS process. What you're describing there, unfortunately is felony transfer of a firearm across state lines.

...by the way, if the gun was listed by name on the assault weapon list, you can't have it at all and it has to stay in Nevada. If it's an AR on the AW list, then you can pull the parts off of it, buy an off-list lower, and reassemble those parts in a California-compliant manner. You don't need any paperwork for the non-firearm parts, only for the lower receiver, so you can just give your friend back the lower and keep the rest of the parts.

If it's only on there by features, you can disassemble it down to the lower, and have the lower transferred through the dealer. When you reassemble it, take steps to ensure it's in compliance with California law (pin the magazine or remove 'evil features' until it's compliant).

It would be a lot more helpful if we knew what kind of gun you're talking about... it may not be a problem at all.

By the way, if it's a handgun, you've got all kinds of sticky issues with the drop test requirements and such. :/

harley66
04-06-2006, 5:04 PM
the above poster is correct,,, also you did not state what kind of gun it is.. CA is very picky on weapons here... If it is a handgun, then it has to be on the aproved CA DOJ list.... google will take you there, if it is a long gun and NOT an assult weapon, then you are in better shape.. but you can not just take a weapon as a gift, trade or like you did and bring it into this state and be legal about it... Now if you just decide to say NAAAA and keep it, then you are taking that risk, and if it your ever decide to get rid of it or are caught with it - are you 100000% sure it is not stolen somewhere in the past???? if it is, then YOU become the person with an unreg/stolen weapon... just food for thought...

just went back and reread the above post... sorry for repeating most of what you said....

6172crew
04-06-2006, 5:14 PM
Is it a handgun?

xrMike
04-06-2006, 5:44 PM
Isn't there some kind of no-FFL-required-for-transfer provision in California for weapons passed down from parents/grandparents to sons/daughters? How cool is your relationship with your parents? Or am I just barking up a felonious tree here?

Riodog
04-06-2006, 5:50 PM
Yes there are provisions for inheritance transfers and I don't believe the gun is required to be on the approved list for PP transfers. Maybe we could hear from an ffl for some solid info.
Rio

jmlivingston
04-06-2006, 6:01 PM
If it is a handgun, then it has to be on the aproved CA DOJ list.... google will take you there

So will the link at the top of the page.... :D White text in the blue bar that says "CA ROSTER OF APPROVED HANDGUNS".

John

grammaton76
04-06-2006, 6:01 PM
If he's getting the gun from his friend, then there is NO way for it to magically turn into an inheritance transfer. And if his parents also live in CA, then there's no way for one of them to have received the firearm legally across state lines, to then turn around and give to him.

Regularguy
04-06-2006, 6:12 PM
WOW. I had no idea. GREAT. :mad:
The gun is a Colt Mustang .380. If I take it back to NV am I breaking the law again? Great. :mad:

bu-bye
04-06-2006, 6:17 PM
The gun is a Colt Mustang .380. If I take it back to NV am I breaking the law again? Great. :mad:

What are you talking about? The gun never left NV.....RIGHT!

Regularguy
04-06-2006, 6:21 PM
Right.. It's there now. I forgot that this is all a what if scenario. Just what if.

bwiese
04-06-2006, 6:22 PM

You're breaking the law just continuing to have it.

It's not just about CA, either. You can't take possession or keep it yourself in NV, either: Fed law allows CA law to say that CA folks can't acquire guns in other states without them going thru a CA FFL dealer.

ASAP, bring it back to him or have him come out here and get it. He can sell it to someone in NV and give you cash instead. Mustangs are kinda nice/desirable so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The Colt Mustang is not an approved "safe" handgun in CA. Existing ones in CA can only be transferred between California residents. A CA FFL gun dealer cannot buy it from your friend and sell it to you - only another Californian can execute a "PPT" (private party transfer) with you. Your friend would have to become a CA resident to sell this to you.

grammaton76
04-06-2006, 6:24 PM
What are you talking about? The gun never left NV.....RIGHT!

Precisely! The gun never left Nevada. You're going to visit your friend, and he's going to realize that he left the gun on his shelf and you forgot to take it with you to CA.

If it's on the approved list of handguns, you'll just find a close-by transfer dealer and have your friend shipped to the dealer, however be prepared to pay around $70 in transfer fees to get the gun.

If it's not on the approved list of handguns, unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to get ahold of it unless your friend moves out to California and then private-party-transfers it to you.

Regularguy
04-06-2006, 6:27 PM
I think I feel like gambling tonight. Reno here I come. Thanks guys.