PDA

View Full Version : C&R check just cleared... how long (usually) 'till I get my license?

grammaton76
04-06-2006, 4:34 PM
I noticed today that my $30 check to the BATF just got deposited. While I realize it's not indicative of a lot other than someone cashing a check, it does show the wheels are in motion. So, I'm wondering if there's some kind of average length of time between your check clearing and the license getting sent. Do any recent (or not-so-recent) C&R licensees have insight into what kind of timeline I'm looking at before my license arrives? :)

vrylak
04-06-2006, 5:00 PM
Let's see...about 2 weeks, give or take a few days.

lisky420
04-06-2006, 5:44 PM
It could take 3 weeks to 3 months. I did mine in 03 and took 11 weeks. They said I was still in Background Check status! Then it just showed up.

Santa Cruz Armory
04-06-2006, 6:07 PM
I mailed mine back in Feb. they charged my card on 2/17......still no word.:confused:

jdberger
04-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Mine was something stupid like 7 months.
But worth it, I've saved the $30 on Brownells and Midway discounts alone.

JH2
04-07-2006, 1:12 AM
My renewal took a few weeks. The original only took 3 weeks to arrive (way back when.....). Usually, you will get a couple of books and the license will appear a day later. DO NOT SIGN THE ORIGINAL! Just the 400 copies you send out.

It also helps to make a nice cover letter for the vendors. The basic "I am not a crook, it is legal, no laws prohibit" type. Include a copy of your DL also.

Jim

Guinness
04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Mine took just over three weeks after the check cashed... I've heard horror stories of up to 2 months...

Guinness
04-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Oh yeah, just watch for the blue envelope in the mail.. then copy like crazy and sign in red pen and buy lots of stamps! ;) :D

grammaton76
04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Ah, excellent! Thanks for the timeframe, all - I'm going to hope for three weeks but expect 2 months.

socal57chevy
04-07-2006, 4:44 PM
My initial wait was 3 months. (9/11 occured during this time) My renewal took about 3 weeks. Just did my amendment application today. BTW, anybody know who the CLEO for Oceanside might be so I don't have to make a half-dozen phone calls.:)

Guinness
04-07-2006, 7:25 PM
Ah, excellent! Thanks for the timeframe, all - I'm going to hope for three weeks but expect 2 months.

Thats the best bet, then when it happens its a happy joy... So whats the first C&R your looking at getting??

Mine was a K-98 with all markings intact from 1941 - Beautiful gun..

grammaton76
04-07-2006, 8:45 PM
Thats the best bet, then when it happens its a happy joy... So whats the first C&R your looking at getting??

Mine was a K-98 with all markings intact from 1941 - Beautiful gun..

Nice choice on the mauser. If that one guy's still got the VZ-52 listed on here with the very nice stock, that'll be my first C&R purchase. On the other hand, if that's already gone, I'll be watching patiently for an SVT-40 or Garand, and researching a Rashid - which I *Think* is C&R but I'd have to check to make sure. :)

Guinness
04-07-2006, 9:13 PM
I'll be watching patiently for an SVT-40 or Garand, and researching a Rashid - which I *Think* is C&R but I'd have to check to make sure. :)

The SVT's are nice.. As for the Garand, the best deal is CMP which is the route I went for mine.. Even with the C&R you cant beat the CMP price..

Rashid's are nice and I beleive they are C&R - I got the big brother - A Hakim which are fun..

grammaton76
04-07-2006, 9:38 PM
The SVT's are nice.. As for the Garand, the best deal is CMP which is the route I went for mine.. Even with the C&R you cant beat the CMP price..

Rashid's are nice and I beleive they are C&R - I got the big brother - A Hakim which are fun..

*grin* What do you think created my appetite for a Rashid? :)

http://www.cheapspeech.com/Pics/Guns/Hakim//s_dsc09076.jpg

SIGarette
04-07-2006, 10:22 PM
I just got mine after waiting exactly 2 months.
My buddy sent his in 3 days after me and received his 2 weeks before me.

Guinness
04-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Its fun the see peoples faces on the line when the Hakim comes out huh?..

I've seen some Rashids for sale over at Gunboards (http://www.gunboards.com/forums/) in the sales fourm for decient prices..

Hope that helps..

Oh BTW, heres mine...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/Guinness71/hakim1.gif

Santa Cruz Armory
04-16-2006, 5:30 PM
MAN! still no word from the ATF...I mailed it back in February! I almost forgot about it. Does anyone think it would help to call?? Anybody have a number for the ATF??:confused:

TonyM
04-16-2006, 5:36 PM
MAN! still no word from the ATF...I mailed it back in February! I almost forgot about it. Does anyone think it would help to call?? Anybody have a number for the ATF??:confused:

You're not alone. They charged my card on Feb 6th, nothing yet.

I've been reading about people in other parts of the country that have received them in 3 weeks, and they claim to have sent them in about the same time as I did, and after.... I'm not sure if there's anything about being from Cali that slows it down, but the dozen or so posts about speedy turn arounds for new applicants that I've read got me a little Jealous, to say the least.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-16-2006, 6:00 PM
Does anyone think it would help to call?? Anybody have a number for the ATF??:confused:

Sometimes it helps to call. If you call the main number they will then connect you to the guy working on your application. Try to get his direct number the first time you call so you don't have to go through the main operator every time you call back. But you are most likely just going to get connected to his voicemail anyway. Some people have found that email is more likely to get a response. Here is the contact info for the BATFE National Licensing Center...

Our offices are open to assist you during regular business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern time.

The National Licensing Center address is:

2600 Century Parkway NE
Suite 400
Atlanta, GA 30345

We may be reached by phone during regular business hours at: (404) 417-2750 or 1-866-662-2750.

Our fax number is: (404) 417-2751 or 1-866-257-2749.

Our e-mail address is: nlc@atf.gov

Gromulin
04-17-2006, 9:38 AM
Sent my App. in on 4/10 and the BATFE charged my CC on 4/14. Wow...that was fast. As soon as I get it, I'm going for a CMP Garand, then a K31 and an SKS. Actually, insert gun-safe in there second. I'm going to need somewhere to hide all the classic arms that will be showing up at the door over the next year...

Can't wait!

jdberger
04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
MAN! still no word from the ATF...I mailed it back in February! I almost forgot about it. Does anyone think it would help to call?? Anybody have a number for the ATF??:confused:I think that mine was something like 6 months.

Personally, I'm pretty happy that ATF isn't very efficient.....

mltrading
04-18-2006, 8:54 AM
My C&R license came exactly at the 42th day since check was cashed.:)

Santa Cruz Armory
04-20-2006, 4:25 AM
I called on Tuesday and they called me back yesterday and said I was approved and they were sending it out. Whoo hoo !!:D

socal57chevy
04-20-2006, 12:50 PM
I got a call from the SD Sheriffs office yesterday. They asked if I would be conducting firearms business at my home. I told them "no, it's only a C&R FFL for my private personal collection." They guy said "OK, thanks" and that was the end of the conversation. This was the first time in 4 letters to CLEO that I have actually been contacted by local law enforcement regarding my C&R. The others were in Missouri (no contact from sheriff on 2 occasions)and Ohio (no contact from police chief). Is this just a Ca thing, cuz the rest of the country just files it and lets the ATF deal with the rest. Did anyone else get a call?

ps......mine is just an amended C&R to reflect my address change.

Santa Cruz Armory
04-20-2006, 8:46 PM
I got a call from the SD Sheriffs office yesterday. They asked if I would be conducting firearms business at my home. I told them "no, it's only a C&R FFL for my private personal collection." They guy said "OK, thanks" and that was the end of the conversation. This was the first time in 4 letters to CLEO that I have actually been contacted by local law enforcement regarding my C&R. The others were in Missouri (no contact from sheriff on 2 occasions)and Ohio (no contact from police chief). Is this just a Ca thing, cuz the rest of the country just files it and lets the ATF deal with the rest. Did anyone else get a call?

No call as of yet......:confused:

mow
04-21-2006, 9:03 AM
I called the # that AmendmentII posted this morning about an hour ago and I just got a call back...

She said it was in process and it could be anywhere from 60-90 days from the time that it was received. I forgot to ask who was processing my request ... at least I know they are wiorking on it.

socal57chevy
04-21-2006, 10:58 AM
I called the # that AmendmentII posted this morning about an hour ago and I just got a call back...

She said it was in process and it could be anywhere from 60-90 days from the time that it was received. I forgot to ask who was processing my request ... at least I know they are wiorking on it.

Did you get a call from local LEO when you submitted a copy?

socal57chevy
04-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Info regarding C&R purchases.
Since there were a few people here that are new C&R holders or like myself have just moved to CA, I thought this was an appropriate place to post this.
http://calgunlaws.com/modules.php?name=NukeNews&file=article&sid=122

grammaton76, you have a PM.

mow
04-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Did you get a call from local LEO when you submitted a copy?

No I did not ... but I opted to send my copy to the sheriff of the county rather than the PD, not sure if that is the difference.

So within 90 days of April 6 I should have my CC&R, yes my fingers are crossed :p

Gromulin
04-21-2006, 1:00 PM
No I did not ... but I opted to send my copy to the sheriff of the county rather than the PD, not sure if that is the difference.

So within 90 days of April 6 I should have my CC&R, yes my fingers are crossed :p

I may be wrong, but the advice I received was that if you live in an incorporated City, with a police dept, then the Police Chief is your CLEO, not the county Sheriff. Don't know if that will delay / raise flag or not. YMMV.

I sent my letter and C&R copy to my local police chief two weeks ago and have not heard a squeak since.

mow
04-21-2006, 1:13 PM
The instructions indicate either or will be fine, I just prefer the sheriff over PD always have.

From my understanding they (local LEO's) are not even consulted as this is a Federal thing (BATFE), unless there is a blemish on your history that is.

Mine was also around two weeks ago, let's see if we get them at the same time.:D

What does YMMV mean?

grammaton76
04-21-2006, 1:18 PM
What does YMMV mean?

Your Mileage May Vary

TonyM
05-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Well,

1 day short of 3 months from the time they charged my card and I recieved the blue envelope today.

woo?

woot?

Woo-Hoo?

Yeah, all of the above...

Bring on the C&Rs....

TonyM
05-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Well,

1 day short of 3 months from the time they charged my card and I recieved the blue envelope today.

woo?

woot?

Woo-Hoo?

Yeah, all of the above...

Bring on the C&Rs....

BTW,

I almost automatically shredded it thinking it was another re-finance offer from a P.O.S. mortgage broker.

Gromulin
05-25-2006, 9:49 PM
Sent my App. in on 4/10 and the BATFE charged my CC on 4/14. Wow...that was fast. As soon as I get it, I'm going for a CMP Garand, then a K31 and an SKS. Actually, insert gun-safe in there second. I'm going to need somewhere to hide all the classic arms that will be showing up at the door over the next year...

Can't wait!

Woo-Hoo!. It just showed up in the mail today. Big-*** packet of rules and regs and little blue envelope.

If you're my age, you might remember sending away to the "Presidents Council on Physical Fitness" in the 70's for your official kit. I think every elementary school in the freakin country did it. It had some kind of patch or some other cool thing (to a 12 year old) from The President! It was the first thing that ever came to my name in the mailbox. It was way cool.

It has been like that everytime I went to the mailbox for the last few weeks.

And it's Memorial day...safes are on sale!. It's like someone up there is trying to tell me something...

I feel poorer already. Gonna send my paperwork to CMP for a Garand ( and maybe a 1903) and start looking at K-31's.:D :D :D

jl1252
05-26-2006, 2:43 PM
Mailed app 4/24,,,CC hit 4/28,,,still waiting after four weeks.
jl1252

mow
06-25-2006, 7:56 PM
grammaton did you get yours yet?

I am still waiting my checked was cashed around the same time.

DRM6000
06-26-2006, 12:32 AM
i put my app in the mail on sun 5/27/06 and i got my ffl03 that was postmarked 06/15/06. somebody out there must like me. :)

mow
06-26-2006, 6:16 AM
braggart:p

grammaton76
07-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Well, 3 months and 8 days after my check cleared, I received my C&R today!

It seems that 3 montis is the magic time.

mow
07-15-2006, 8:03 AM
Well, 3 months and 8 days after my check cleared, I received my C&R today!

It seems that 3 montis is the magic time.

Lucky!

I am still waiting :mad: