PDA

View Full Version : Discharging firearm in city legally?

BlindRacer
06-26-2010, 8:52 PM
I live it Orange County, and pretty much already know the answer but can't find specific laws about it.

I want to know if firing a 22lr pistol/rifle with Aguila Colibri (primer only, 20 grain bullet, nearly silent, about 300-500 fps - don't remember), into a proper target trap, would be legal?

I'm pretty sure it is not, but the only laws that I found have been about negligent discharge.

I'm just hoping, so that I could shoot without having to pay for range time, but it sounds too good to be true.

If you could please point me in the direction of the laws which would apply, thanks.

BKinzey
06-26-2010, 9:18 PM
I live it Orange County, and pretty much already know the answer but can't find specific laws about it.

Yes it is illegal. If you want the specific law Google your city and "discharge of a firearm."

BlindRacer
06-26-2010, 9:23 PM
I did that, but all I could find was this...

In order to convict you of negligently discharging a firearm or BB device, the prosecutor must prove the following three facts (otherwise known as "elements" of the crime):
1. that you willfully fired a gun or BB device,
2. that you did so in a grossly negligent manner, and
3. that the discharge of the gun could have resulted in a personís death or injury.

Yes, #1 would have happened, however, #2, by taking precautions with a specific bullet, and into a trap would not be in a grossly negligent manner, and also #3, being fired in a safe way, could not rusult in a person's death or injury.

I'm sure there's other sections, and also that I'm reading this wrong, but like I said, I'm hoping there's some kind of loophole/work around.

stitchnicklas
06-26-2010, 9:28 PM
go to the range,pay your money and keep your gun rights. otherwise no one will feel for you for a cheapskate act,15 bucks for the range..vs..no gun rights you pick

Doheny
06-26-2010, 9:29 PM
What city...did you pull up the municipal code for said city? For instance, Irvine prohibits pretty much anything that shoots a projectile, including airsoft and BB guns:

Prohibition. It shall be unlawful for any person, other than peace officers and members of the armed forces and National Guard acting in their official line of duty, to shoot, fire or discharge, or for any person to cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged, within the City, any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm, or BB gun, pellet gun and air rifle of any kind, except when it may be necessary to do so in order to protect life or property or to destroy or kill any predatory or dangerous animal.

nn3453
06-26-2010, 9:32 PM
I know it is reasonable to be excited about incorporation, but keep the celebratory shooting at the range.

KylaGWolf
06-26-2010, 9:45 PM
I did that, but all I could find was this...

In order to convict you of negligently discharging a firearm or BB device, the prosecutor must prove the following three facts (otherwise known as "elements" of the crime):
1. that you willfully fired a gun or BB device,
2. that you did so in a grossly negligent manner, and
3. that the discharge of the gun could have resulted in a personís death or injury.

Yes, #1 would have happened, however, #2, by taking precautions with a specific bullet, and into a trap would not be in a grossly negligent manner, and also #3, being fired in a safe way, could not rusult in a person's death or injury.

I'm sure there's other sections, and also that I'm reading this wrong, but like I said, I'm hoping there's some kind of loophole/work around.

Well your first element alone would mean it is illegal. You would be willingly firing the gun therefore committing a crime.

ZenMasta
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
check your city/county website they might have an interacive map where you can see all kinds of information from property boundries, natural resources to no shoot zones.

See Santa Cruz county website for example under "Land use and general" No Shoot Zones. http://gis.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/internet/wwwgisweb/Run.htm

BlindRacer
06-27-2010, 6:26 AM
That's what I thought.

Kyla, it said that all three had to be done to be convicted, not just one.

The problem with $15 bucks to go to the range means that I will only be able to go once every few months. Money's just so tight these days, that I can't even scrape that together.

nn - this wasn't asked because of incorporation tomorrow, but hey, how excited are we!?!

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll be keeping it at the range.

tiko
06-27-2010, 9:49 AM
Here in Sacramento, no bow, no sling...