PDA

View Full Version : Need info on modding Benelli M3 shotguns

MidnightSon117
04-06-2006, 4:19 PM
Given the sunsetting of the AWB/Crime Bill, can the Benelli M3 Convertible (I think it used to be called the M3 Super 90) legally have the tube extended to be flush with the barrel? In its current configuration, the M3 holds 5+1, so I'm guessing it would be 7+1 with the extension.

The reason I ask is I'm looking at the M3 with the pistol grip stock, and that the M3 can be fired as a semi-auto. I'm not sure what's legal in California now, which I'm guessing is the point of all these laws. :) In either case, I always liked shotguns that have the tube flush with the barrel. Thanks!

Mesa Tactical
04-06-2006, 5:49 PM
The magazine extension probably violates the Federal 922(r) law, but then no one has ever been prosecuted for it. We suspect the law is mostly used to regulate the importation of firearms and the domestic "manufacturing" provisions are deemed too difficult to enforce.

California law is simple: semi-auto shotgun cannot have a pistol grip and a collapsing stock.

50 Shooter
04-06-2006, 5:51 PM
You can get the extention. I'll add this little bit as someone got their panties in a knot on arfcom because I was generalizing.

SB 23 AW Characteristics for semi auto shotguns. 12276.1
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction, I saw one the other day online but can't remember where.

MidnightSon117
04-07-2006, 3:05 PM
Thanks for the info. Does the 10-round California limit apply to semi-auto shotguns? Also, does attaching a shell holder and carrying shells in the holder while the tube is loaded count as increasing the capacity beyond the legal 10+1?