PDA

View Full Version : selling to out of state buyers?

Ballistic043
06-26-2010, 7:13 PM
i had a quick question on selling firearms to non-ca buyers.

i've got a guy in arizona that is interested in buying a gun from me through calguns FS post. apparently he does alot of work in CA. he asked me what the laws are regarding these types of sales, and i don't have much answer. he wants to come buy the gun and im not sure what procedures are necessary since he is not a resident of the state.

any help??

nn3453
06-26-2010, 7:17 PM
You must ship to an AZ FFL if he is an AZ resident. But he should know this, which makes it seem fishy. Steer clear I'd say. We need to keep guns in CA anyway :)

ke6guj
06-26-2010, 7:24 PM
not sure if it is fishy or not. Just because he is a AZ resident doesn't mean that he understands how federal law applies in this case. How many times to we see on this forum CA residents asking if they can buy firearms while visiting another state.

To the OP, basically, you agree on a price, he pays you, and you ship it to an FFL in AZ where the buyer can then go and do whatever AZ paperwork is required for the FFL to transfer the fiream to him. It would be a good idea for you to file a "no longer in possession" form with CADOJ informing them that you longer own the handgun so they can update your AFS records.

. We need to keep guns in CA anyway :)
yes, if it is non-rostered, do whatever you can to keep it in CA. but in the end, money talks. so, if you need to, sell it to the AZ guy legally.

Ballistic043
06-26-2010, 7:28 PM
its a sig sp2022. which is coming off the roster in a few months. no safety or LCI

don't care about that though. just want to find it a good home and someone who will use it. sigs are awesome

ke6guj
06-26-2010, 7:30 PM
its a sig sp2022. which is coming off the roster in a few months. no safety or LCIdon't assume it is coming off the roster. As long as it is a current model, Sig'll probably pay the roster fee for another year.

It can stay on the roster, even if it doesn't have an LCI, for as long as they keep paying the yearly fee.