PDA

View Full Version : Question about registering both a handgun and several long guns.

racemedic
06-26-2010, 8:04 PM
Recently a friend and myself went target shooting, I brought several pistols and he showed up with a 22 pistol. We had a good time shooting and as the day went along I asked him why he didnít bring his other guns, I know at one time he had several but over the years we drifted apart, he got busy with work and family and so did I and as far as I know he may have sold them. Well he tells me they are at home because he is afraid to bring them out because if an officer comes up and runs the serial numbers they donít come back to him, he never registered them.

So here is the story on how he got them. Back in 1995 or around there his step dad passed away, his mom gave him a 22 pistol, a 22 rifle and a shotgun that belonged to his step dad. Then around 2004 his uncle passed away and his aunt gave him a 30-30 lever action that belonged to his uncle and he never registered that either. He asked me what he should do. Because so much time has passed since he got them I donít know. I told him his best bet because of the length of time that has lapsed is to talk with a lawyer but he seems reluctant to do so because lawyers cost money and he said he cant afford it. Is there any thing he can do or is he screwed?

Connor P Price
06-26-2010, 8:12 PM
None of those guns need to be registered.

Mike's Custom
06-26-2010, 8:15 PM
He should be aable to do a Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction on the hand guns. He can legally take them from his mother as they became hers upon her husbands death. as your mother she can give them to her kids. As for the longguns, since they became his mothers she can give them to her son but there is no requirement for them to be registered. You can find the form on the DOJ web site.

Connor P Price
06-26-2010, 8:22 PM
Sorry, originally when i read the OP i assumed since he brought the handgun and felt comfortable with it that it was properly registered to him. I was on the phone so I wasn't giving it my full attention. Mike's Custom got it right. Long guns don't need to be registered, he can just start having fun with those with no worry.

robcoe
06-26-2010, 9:34 PM
Like others have said, no regestration on long guns(except volentary, and I dont know why anyone would do that), not sure about the pistol, I dont know when the registraion rules went into effect with those, but he should be fine on the rest.

dantodd
06-27-2010, 2:07 AM
Like others have said, no regestration on long guns(except volentary, and I dont know why anyone would do that), not sure about the pistol, I dont know when the registraion rules went into effect with those, but he should be fine on the rest.

Some people choose to VolReg rifles that are likely to be mistaken for Assault Weapons to reduce drama in a non-consensual police contact.

racemedic
06-27-2010, 5:10 AM
Sorry, originally when i read the OP i assumed since he brought the handgun and felt comfortable with it that it was properly registered to him. I was on the phone so I wasn't giving it my full attention. Mike's Custom got it right. Long guns don't need to be registered, he can just start having fun with those with no worry.

The 22 that he brought with him is registered to him, he has had that for as long as I have known him. It is another 22 that was from his step dad.

racemedic
06-27-2010, 5:18 AM
Thank you for the info. I will pass this along and tell him to go to the DOJ site and print out the form for Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction and send it in. Then when we go shooting the next time he can bring all his guns and be comfortable with it.