PDA

View Full Version : Glock Guide Rod

OneSevenDeuce
06-26-2010, 4:31 PM
Many of you may have seen my post on getting a new Glock 17. But I do have a question. Does anyone recommend swapping the plastic guide rod for a steel one? Does it make a difference? If so, can you recommend a brand?

Ultimate
06-26-2010, 4:36 PM
I don't really see a reason to do so. I've only seen the guide rod failure on the youtube video where the guy was doing a high round count torture test doing rapid fire and the gun got too hot and melted the rod but the gun still fired flawlessly.

I've shot plenty of rounds through my glock while hot and never had an issue.

So unless you plan to carry 50+ magazines and perform rapid fire through all of them in one session I don't see a real reliability benefit.

Maybe if you want to replace it with a tungsten one for additional weight to help with recoil but I have no experience with that.

kozumasbullitt
06-26-2010, 4:38 PM
I would leave the stock one in there, many companies use poly guide rods.

nmerced
06-26-2010, 4:43 PM
Stock plastic guide rod works just fine. No difference in performance.

Muaythaishooter
06-26-2010, 4:50 PM
I changed the rod in my G23 and G19 only because it bugged me that it was polymer and it was cheap. I put 3000 rds on my G19 before i changed it and no problems with the polymer rod. I purchased 2 of them to put in both glocks. Since the stainless steel rod was heavier than the OEM rod it reduced my recoil on my G23. Can't really notice on my G19 since it doesn't have much of a recoil. I recommend it. It makes a great glock better. Heres the link if your interested:

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/7_Parts+%26amp%3B+Accessories/2138_Stainless+Steel+Guide+Rod/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D7%26_Parts% 2B%26amp%3B%2BAccessories%2F

Slammy
06-26-2010, 5:35 PM
http://guiderod.com/index.html

Steve Bedair makes some of the best rods around. He has some real nice checkered end ones that rock.

G38xOC
06-26-2010, 5:57 PM
i heard some cases where stock guide rod will break ( rarely )
i got an extra stocky guide rod assembly just in case .

GSG222
06-26-2010, 6:55 PM
I did some research and decided to keep the stock rod in my G26. It's no problem unless you go extreme with stress testing. Of course if the thought of having a plastic rod in the slide bothers you, change it. I replaced the plastic MSH in my Kimber TLE with a stainless one for exactly this reason. And yes the gun looks a lot sexier...

nn3453
06-26-2010, 7:20 PM
Leave it be. The gun was designed to function with the plastic rod.

Black Majik
06-26-2010, 7:22 PM
Leave it stock.

The only aftermarket I use is a tungsten uncaptured guide rod for my Glock 34. My Glock 17 maintains the plastic factory guide rod since it makes absolutely no difference.

1911Operator
06-26-2010, 7:23 PM
well, I for one did have a G26 rod snap on me while I was shooting. I would highly recommend to atleast have an extra one at all time. I wanted to get the steel one for my G26 but, for that price you can get 3 of the factory ones. so its up to you. but they do give out, it takes a while but they are not undestructable like people think they are.

OneSevenDeuce
06-26-2010, 8:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Definitely good info. I think I will leave the stock guide rod in place for now, and get a steel one when I have some extra cash. Sounds like a minor upgrade, but not a "go out and get it now!" one.

Sam
06-26-2010, 9:11 PM
Isn't it silly to think that a Glock rod is crap becase it's made of plastic?

novabrian
06-26-2010, 9:24 PM

That why Glock doesn't sell many guns!

nn3453
06-26-2010, 9:26 PM
Freaking tupperware! Kabooms when you're not even touching it.

Turbinator
06-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Another vote for leaving it stock. Calguns wisdom says that you should replace the guide rod every 3000 rounds or so, or when the gun fails a guide rod test.

The test (as noted elsewhere on Calguns in a thread by another poster) is to:

1) verify gun is unloaded
2) pull trigger, safe direction
3) keep trigger pulled, point gun up
4) manually rack slide, ride slide forward

If the slide closes all the way on its own, you're good to go. If the slide has difficulty closing, it's time for a new recoil spring.

I would hate to spend big bucks on an aftermarket recoil spring and guide rod only to have to replace it in 1 or 2 years. The factory guide rods are just fine and affordable enough to replace periodically.

Turby

dskell
06-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Leave it be. The gun was designed to function with the plastic rod.

Exactly. They didn't just throw some random parts together.

Took the words right out of my mouth! hahaha.

If you're gonna change the guide rod because it's polymer sell your Glock. (Or donate it to me.)

glockwise2000
06-27-2010, 12:21 AM
I would suggest to leave it as it is for now. It would not make any difference if you are shooting 9mms. If you notice any incomplete closure of the slide when you rack it up, as stated by Turby, then that would be an indication that you need to replace it. And replace it to your liking.

thrillhouse700
06-27-2010, 12:29 AM
This is always heavily discussed on glock talk. There is a slow mo video of a glock firing and how much flex the thing has and the guide rod flexes with it. It was designed for this. BTW the glock Kaboom is just as prevalent in any other firearm. Glock KB is FUD, if you fire raw lead bullets through any polygonal rifling over a period of time you run the chance of KB. If you shoot too hot a round through any gun it will KB. If you do not check your barrel for obstructions it will KB. KB is not just reserved for Glocks.

Yes I own one, no I'm not a fanboy although I am very happy with mine. I am quite aware that ANY firearm I own or shoot if not properly cared for can KB.

bsg
06-27-2010, 12:56 AM
use the factory part.

jdg30
06-27-2010, 6:46 AM
Keep the stock guide rod; that's how the gun was designed and it works great. The stainless won't give you any performance upgrade so I would keep the stock guide rod unless you just want to spend more money for kicks.

Voo
06-27-2010, 7:50 AM
There's not much reason to swap it out unless you want to run a different spring weight.. I hear things like 'upgrade' or 'improvement' and i wonder exactly how it's improving over the original plastic one. A steel one does nothing 'better' than the plastic one. The only major difference on steel ones is the ease of swapping out spring weights. Beyond that, they do nothing for recoil reduction or flip. I've run an extended tungsten guide rod in my competition G34 and IMHO, it was "nothing to write home about".

Again, if you're going to change spring weights, then a steel one is worthwhile. If not, but don't be shocked that it does nothing except lighten your wallet about $15-20 bucks.

OneSevenDeuce
06-27-2010, 7:51 AM
I'm not a fanboy

I never got that kind of thing anyway. I mean, yeah, I have been a 1911 guy for a while, but I never considered myself married to them til death do we part. I appreciate polymer pistols, both Glock and others, for what they are, and all steel for what they are. Honestly I have too much fun with guns to discriminate a whole lot. Just so long as the thing is reliable and safe I'll take it to the range any day. :D

My home defense choices are a different story. But that's another topic.