PDA

View Full Version : Glock wear is this normal?

Just-in
06-26-2010, 3:40 PM

nrakid88
06-26-2010, 3:42 PM
Pics?

nrakid88
06-26-2010, 3:43 PM
I think your talking about the rails in the frame, and I think that copper color your reffering to may be the grease/lube they put on at the factory. Try cleaning it off

ZRT650
06-26-2010, 3:45 PM
I would not worry to much about it. How many rounds have you put through her? Is there any irregular wear elsewhere?

leelaw
06-26-2010, 3:46 PM
Pictures would be helpful.

If you are talking about the four rails, then yes, there should be wear there, but it shouldn't get to bare metal so quickly. Is the gun lubricated properly?

Just-in
06-26-2010, 4:13 PM
I'll try to get pics all I have is my phone though it's not the grease the coating actually peeled off a bit the gun was dry after one range session I have about 1500 rounds down the pipe. Nothing I can donaboutnitnibguess but how will it affect my gun down the road?eventually it is supposed to wear off isn't it

BitterOldMan
06-26-2010, 4:13 PM
If you are talking about the copper lube used by Glock in the new guns, then leave the lube alone. It sometimes looks like it is flaking off.

See
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=297288

When I attended Glock armorer school over twenty years ago, the instructor told us all glocks came with the copper lube and just leave on to break in the pistol. If you take the copper lube off, then you need to lube the rails.

Just-in
06-26-2010, 4:18 PM
What confuses me also I expected to see some scratches or wear on the slide and there's none

Just-in
06-26-2010, 4:21 PM
Yeah I can't get pics on my iPhone the resolution doesn't show so well it definately isn't the copper lube though the coating actully blistered up like old chrome. I expected the slide to wear out before the reciever.

Ultimate
06-26-2010, 4:44 PM
It might be a cheap glock plating very similar to the plating used on the safety plunger. When it comes off it gives the appearance of copper but it obviously can't be because copper is too soft it is just part of the plating on it.

I would lube it and not worry about it. The copper will probably eventually flake completely off and as long as you are not seeing any gouging you should be good to go.

Just-in
06-26-2010, 5:00 PM
I know pics would do better but the plating isn copper. The finish exposed by the plating wearing off left a copper colored metal exposed is the plating supposed to wear off as the gun breaks in? Anyone got a pic o a well used glock?

GSG222
06-26-2010, 6:48 PM
Sounds like a defective slide to me. I suggest you give Glock a call.

Just-in
06-26-2010, 7:03 PM
So to my origional q should I assume that is I not normal at any time for the finish to wear off of the guides. The slide is fine the gun still fires and the action is smooth. I just would like to know if it is normal during the break in process for that plating to wear off or if my one range session when it or dry damaged it or if perhaps some grit got in there and damaged it... Anyone have a pic of a well used glock?

9mmepiphany
06-26-2010, 7:25 PM
pictures would really help us from guessing what is happening.

your descriptions and sentence structure isn't making the situation more clear

nmerced
06-26-2010, 8:15 PM
Are these the ones?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l78/nmerced/glock20frame.jpg

Glock 20 , around 1k or more rounds.

Just-in
06-26-2010, 8:44 PM
Yes sir those are. There's four total on my gun two of the
the plating is peeling. All I'd like to know is if it is normal sorry for my bad sentecne structure

Mstnpete
06-26-2010, 8:49 PM
So to my origional q should I assume that is I not normal at any time for the finish to wear off of the guides. The slide is fine the gun still fires and the action is smooth. I just would like to know if it is normal during the break in process for that plating to wear off or if my one range session when it or dry damaged it or if perhaps some grit got in there and damaged it... Anyone have a pic of a well used glock?

The rail painting is a normal wear.
It's actually better without those paint. It is smoother on the slide.

Just-in
06-26-2010, 9:46 PM
That was my reasoning also. That perhaps the plating wearing off was normal for the break in period. I just wanted to be sure.

SJgunguy24
06-26-2010, 10:01 PM
I have 25k+ through my G17, I wouldn't worry about it. Use grease on the frame rails.

Doheny
06-26-2010, 10:04 PM
If you are talking about the copper lube used by Glock in the new guns, then leave the lube alone. It sometimes looks like it is flaking off.

See
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=297288

When I attended Glock armorer school over twenty years ago, the instructor told us all glocks came with the copper lube and just leave on to break in the pistol. If you take the copper lube off, then you need to lube the rails.

This.

I thought the same thing when I first got my Glock...it must be rubbing something the wrong way. Turned out it was just the lube. As you can see from the below threads, other people have thought the same thing.

Is this normal wear on a Glock 22? [Archive] - Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-268314.html)

20 posts - 13 authors - Last post: Feb 18
FWIW the copper stuff you see on the new Glocks is a "Loctite" type copper based anti-seize/lubricant that is applied OEM and used to smooth ...
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-268314.html (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-268314.html)
New Glock - factory grease question. [Archive] - Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-297288.html)

25 posts - 19 authors - Last post: May 4
The copper lube is mentioned and addressed on page #.37 of my Glock...
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-297288.html (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-297288.html) manual. It's under "Cleaning the field stripped pistol"- Slide.
Glock wear is this normal? - Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4520826)

12 posts - 7 authors - Last post: 3 hours ago
If you are talking about the copper lube used by Glock in the new guns, then leave the lube alone. It sometimes looks like it is flaking off ...
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4520826 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4520826) - 3 hours ago
Glock lube - Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214974)

9 posts - 7 authors - Last post: Aug 21, 2009
I just picked up a new Glock and the lube looks like copper paint. Anyone know what kind of lube Glock puts on at the factory? ...
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214974 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214974)

Turbinator
06-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I wasn't aware that the slide rails in the frame were plated. I always thought they were a single metal composition. I've not noticed or had any problems with any flaking in this area.

My opinion is, if the gun still works fine, just keep the rails lightly lubed and you should be fine.

Turby

Just-in
06-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Yeah it isn't the copper lube though for sure I'm 100% positive. I understand plating chroming and whatnot as well as the multiple layers applied to achieve a finish. The top layer blistered and I picked it off. The copper still remains the same as if you chipped a chrome bumper. If it's normal wear I'm not worried I'd just like to know. The gun works fine the slide travels smoothly and I have no failures to eject. If this is purely cosmetic great. Thank you everyone for your help.

arfan66
06-27-2010, 5:47 AM
It might be a cheap glock plating very similar to the plating used on the safety plunger. When it comes off it gives the appearance of copper but it obviously can't be because copper is too soft it is just part of the plating on it.

I would lube it and not worry about it. The copper will probably eventually flake completely off and as long as you are not seeing any gouging you should be good to go.

While I have not experienced the rail insert,s plating flaking off, the plating on my G19's firing pin safety block/plunger flaked off where it contacts the frame components.

The plunger did appear to be discolored, either from heat treatment or an intermediate plating (steel is often copper plated to enhance nickle/chrome plating adhesion).

I think a call to Glock & better pictures might be prudent. My reasoning is that if the plating seperates from the base metal where it is imbedded in the frame, you might have a potential for component failure.

Worse case scenario - you leave it as is & the gun breaks.

Of course, Glock may say send it in for warranty replacement or that the flaking is acceptable/normal since the plating is only on the slide contact surfaces (hypothetical).

Please let us know what Glock says about this. Good Luck!

GSG222
06-27-2010, 8:08 AM
OK, there actually was an official Glock reply buried in one of the threads posted above (I am pasting it at the bottom of my posting).
1. The OP was right - It was not the copper lubricant many have mentioned. It was indeed copper, being exposed due to tear and wear.
2. You're probably wrong if you think your Glock doesn't have this "problem". Very likely you have already worn through the copper layer and are looking at the carbon steel underneath. Most metal parts in the Glock frame are coated with a thin layer of copper and then a nickel teflon coating, neither is hard enough comparing to the slide coating. This is necessary to ensure proper breaking in. One would usually notice this on the upper surface of the frame rails as they are supporting the heavy slide; but it can happen anywhere that is under contact stress (the locking block, the firing pin safety block, etc).
3. Glock says it's normal; however, in my opinion it's not normal if you notice extensive "bubbling" of the coating that extends beyond the area of metal contact. It indicates defective coating and it exposes the carbon steel that would otherwise be protected. It is not a safety concern, but you may want to pay extra attention to make sure these areas are clean and well protected/lubricated to prevent rust formation.
4. Also, the wears should be largely symmetrical left/right and front/back; otherwise, adjustment to the frame rails may be necessary as your slide is not properly suported by the rails.

[RESPONSE FROM GLOCK]: "I’ve looked at the pictures you sent, and you have nothing to worry about. The wear you’re seeing is normal and it comes from regular usage. The frame rails are dipped in a copper coating and then a nickel Teflon finish is applied. In reference to the first picture at the front of the frame where you have the arrows pointing at the locking block, is just normal wear where the slide and barrel come into contact with it. All of the metal parts have the same copper coating and nickel Teflon finish , and the wearing that you’re seeing is perfectly normal."