PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a .45, are the RIA 1911's good

robcoe
06-26-2010, 12:54 PM
I am considering buying a .45 in the next couple of months and I have basicly narrowed it down to either a Ruger P90, P345, or an RIA 1911. I am already familer with Ruger's firearms and quality so I wanted to know what opnions were on the Rock Island Armory guns. My questions basicly come down to these

Are they picky about ammo?

Are they prone to problems( failure to fire, failure to extract, ect)

Lifespan, do they wear out quickly, have parts break or any thing else

Anything else I should know about them?

This will be basicly a range gun, for HD I will probably stay with my current 12ga and .357 magnum setup, and since I have almost 0 chance of getting a CCW permit in LA county I am not worried about something to carry.

Bobotheclown
06-26-2010, 1:30 PM
RIA Tactical here.
I've run blaser brass, wwb and pri partisan

No fail to fire or extract

Only shot 500 rounds so far

Tactical is a better buy than the GI. Customer service is top notch from what I've heard.

HCz
06-26-2010, 1:34 PM
I like mine. It runs well with a few different brands of ammo I used.

C_1
06-26-2010, 2:24 PM
I havent really heard any complaints about the RIA 1911s. Best bang for the buck in a 1911. If you want it as a range gun, then its perfect, since you got the shotgun and revolver for the house already. However, a 45acp handgun aint exactly cheap to feed. Perhaps a 9mm for the range?

foxtrotuniformlima
06-26-2010, 2:34 PM
<Old Man Rant Mode ON >

Are you kidding me ? Have you even tried the search function here ?

<Old Man Rant Mode OFF >

:)

Of the 3 guns you listed, the RIA 1911 would be my choice.

They are no more picky about ammo than any other 1911 45 ACP.

Most 1911 pattern guns need to be broken in a little so you may have a few issues in the first 2-300 rounds.

The RIA is not made with high end parts. They are cast and as such prone to internal imperfections that might eventually fail due to fatigue or wear and tear. I would not worry about it. Just replace them when they do. If they do. They might not ever break or wear out.

Woodworker2
06-26-2010, 3:43 PM
I would say that it is a great deal for the money, has several of the custom features that other manufacturers charge more for, and (for me) worked every time (I shot regular FMJ and never had a problem with my Tactical). The accuracy is about what you would expect for this price range (still in the BLACK at 25 yards, just not in a little tight group). To get a much tighter group and still have the same reliability, you would need to spend 2 or 3 times more.

mjpjr
06-26-2010, 3:55 PM
I own a RIA tactical and just sold another one. Both of them are great and I plan to buy a few more in the future(compact, 9mm if it ever gets approved, match model). Only reason I sold one is both are the same models just different finishes. They come with outstanding customer service and a lifetime warranty.

IrishPirate
06-26-2010, 3:59 PM
my buddy's dad has one and has had zero problems so far. It's a 1911, plain and simple. If you're looking for a cheap 1911, look no further. I've heard (and read hear) about people who own multiple RIA's because they are so nice. When my brother picks his up i'll finally have a chance to shoot one and can let you know from experience how they feel.

evidens83
06-26-2010, 4:05 PM
Love my Tac
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/evalencia83/IMG_2012.jpg

Rock_Islander
06-26-2010, 5:04 PM
They are great weapons, I own two RIA Tacticals. I loved my first one so much I bought a second one as a "backup" weapon.

kellito
06-26-2010, 5:59 PM
Much love for my tactical also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-26-2010, 6:43 PM
I did not have such a good experience with an RIA Tactical. You get what you pay for. I wouldn't buy another.

spddrcr
06-26-2010, 7:22 PM
I would say that it is a great deal for the money, has several of the custom features that other manufacturers charge more for, and (for me) worked every time (I shot regular FMJ and never had a problem with my Tactical). The accuracy is about what you would expect for this price range (still in the BLACK at 25 yards, just not in a little tight group). To get a much tighter group and still have the same reliability, you would need to spend 2 or 3 times more.

thats called operator error, there's only so much a gun can do it's up to the operator to do some of the work. any gun can be more or less reliable in the right hands, hand my wife an open race gun and you will get the same results as the cheapest gun available on the market in her same hands.

I dont even own a RIA tactical but if i was to buy another 1911 i would buy one just to tinker with. there will always be the whole you get what you pay for group as well but just look at all that quality everyone is paying for with para ordinance lately, your better off throwing a para at a target then trying to shoot one with it.

C.W.M.V.
06-26-2010, 7:30 PM
I did not have such a good experience with an RIA Tactical. You get what you pay for. I wouldn't buy another.

Please elaborate. Many (myself included) have had nothing but good experience.

EDIT: Im throwing this out there too, but who knows where to get inexpensive wooden double diamond grips? Link?

HCz
06-26-2010, 9:38 PM
EDIT: Im throwing this out there too, but who knows where to get inexpensive wooden double diamond grips? Link?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=23672/sku/1911_Auto_Std_Double_Diamond_Grip

Rob454
06-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Personally I would go for a Ruger P90. I have a P85 and a P90. You'll also find them a lot cheaper than the 1911s. As far as ammo goes yeah its gonna cost you simply because 45 ammo is at a premium right now. I saw a 1911 like the one you want to get. I was selling a P345 at the time ( I never shot it that's why i was selling it) and to tell you the truth I was not impressed with the way it looked. Looked cheap and had that bottom of the barrel feel. That's why i didn't buy it. it may be accurate but I didnt care for it.
If you just want a 1911 I guess get it. Its cheap enough that you can probably make most of your money back on it if you end up not liking it.
I may get flamed for this but IMPO 1911s are overrated ( talking off the shelf basic 1911s not custom guns)

C.W.M.V.
06-26-2010, 10:54 PM
/\ To each their own I suppose. Likewise I wouldn't ever own a Ruger.

Arondos
06-27-2010, 12:03 AM
I own an RIA Tactical. Got about 2k rounds through it. Had some early issues up to about 500 rounds. One email and it got sent in for warranty work. Has been perfect since. I'd give them an A+ on customer service.

I'm not into spending money for a name. I want a tool that does what I need it to do well and to do it reliably and my Rock does what I need it to.

SixPointEight
06-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Looking into an RIA Tactical too. Seems like a good 1911 to get my feet wet, with a lot of good features at a great price.

What Just Happened?
06-27-2010, 12:32 AM
I have an RIA Tactical. Never had any problems that I didn't cause through the 3000-4000 rounds I've put through it. And tbh, I like it miles better than the SA Mil-Spec 1911 I sold.

Rekrab
06-27-2010, 12:49 AM
I waited a good month or two for a Springfield Mil-Spec to come in to my local shop. When I went down to check it out I also handled the RIA Tactical. Holding the two guns I could discern no notable quality difference, I liked the grip safety on the RIA better and it came with all the features I'd want in a 1911. The $200 price difference certainly didn't hurt either.

My only issue with the Rock came from a bad slide stop that I replaced with an extended Wilson slide stop. I'd recommend this gun to anyone in the market for a first time 1911.

Sinixstar
06-27-2010, 12:59 AM
I waited a good month or two for a Springfield Mil-Spec to come in to my local shop. When I went down to check it out I also handled the RIA Tactical. Holding the two guns I could discern no notable quality difference, I liked the grip safety on the RIA better and it came with all the features I'd want in a 1911. The $200 price difference certainly didn't hurt either.

My only issue with the Rock came from a bad slide stop that I replaced with an extended Wilson slide stop. I'd recommend this gun to anyone in the market for a first time 1911.

See - I handled both, and immediately ruled out the Rock Island.
What I've found with Rock Island - is that while the quality might not be as bad as some people make it out to be - there is still a bit of a hit/miss factor. Need to pay attention and look over the specific gun you're thinkin about gettin and check it out. I personally wouldn't order a Rock Island from say an online retailer. Would have to be able to handle it and check it out first.

maxwellca21
06-27-2010, 1:10 AM
IMO...buy .45 if you already have a 9mm.