PDA

View Full Version : AB 2131 Next Hearing Date April 25th

mikehaas
04-06-2006, 11:54 AM
4/6/2006 - AB 2131 is to be heard in the Assembly Public Safety Committee on April 25th. Please contact the Assembly Public Safety Committee and voice your support. AB 2131 Talking Points (http://calnra.com/doc/AB2131FactSheet.pdf)

More information and contact tools are available at:
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab2131

For info on all bills:
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml

To join NRA's California "Army on the Ground"
http://calnra.com/volunteer/

Mike

jmlivingston
04-06-2006, 5:55 PM
I had an email from Todd Spitzer's office just this morning saying it failed by a vote of 2-5 in that same committee. What's up with that???

John

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your support for AB 2131 (Haynes). This bill, if passed, allows a person that obtains title to an assault weapon or a
.50 BMG rifle by bequest or intestate succession to obtain a permit from the Department of Justice that would allow the weapon to be lawfully possessed.

When this bill came before me in the Assembly Public Safety Committee, I voted in favor of this measure. AB 2131 creates a reasonable mechanism whereby
persons who acquire assault weapons by a will or intestate succession to keep those weapons as long as the person is not prohibited from possessing firearms,
registers them properly, and pays specified fees to the Department of Justice.

AB 2131 failed to pass the Assembly Public Safety Committee by a vote of 2-5.

I am always interested in the comments and opinions of my constituents. Please do not hesitate to call or write should you have any questions or comments. It is

an honor to represent you in the State Assembly.

Sincerely,
TODD SPITZER
Assemblyman, 71st District

TS:kk

bwiese
04-06-2006, 6:27 PM
Yup, nothing progun ever gets out of public safety committees - mostly urban Democrats with 2 Repubs.

That's why Prop 77 redistricting was SO important.

Arnie should've focused on Prop 77 exclusively and worried about the other 3 props at another time - too much dilution of effort.

Justang
04-06-2006, 8:58 PM
This makes me so mad!

mikehaas
04-07-2006, 8:41 AM
I had an email from Todd Spitzer's office just this morning saying it failed by a vote of 2-5 in that same committee. What's up with that???

John

See, this is why our website is really worth paying attention to. :-)

Yes, on 4/4, AB 2131 failed in one or more votes in that committee, but it doesn't matter. The author requested and was granted reconsideration - it means "ok, you can try again". 'Reconsideration' is granted just about anytime a bill's author requests it. (So when a bill is stalled in committee, usually (1) the author really is having trouble getting support and (2) it usually can/may come back anytime if that changes.)

So AB 2131 is still alive in that committee, and undergoing amendments. Sice it took amendments (which the committee had to agree to), one would think it will have a better chance of passing next hearing.

Rarely does a single vote settle an issue at the capitol. Failing bills are normally given many chances to pass. Bills are never dead until the 2-year legislative cycle expires. And even then they can be re-introduced the next cycle.

Mike

shopkeep
04-07-2006, 9:19 AM
So long as Mark Leno is the chairman of that committee and there are 4 other Democraps in there, any progun legislation is Dead on Arrival. The Safety Committee has shut down every pro-gun bill for years to prevent it from being voted on. And Mark Leno is VERY influential, he's the pride and joy of the California Democratic party.

Can'thavenuthingood
04-07-2006, 11:55 AM
So how do we outlaw the Safety Committee?

Vick

mikehaas
04-07-2006, 1:04 PM
So long as Mark Leno is the chairman of that committee and there are 4 other Democraps in there, any progun legislation is Dead on Arrival. The Safety Committee has shut down every pro-gun bill for years to prevent it from being voted on. And Mark Leno is VERY influential, he's the pride and joy of the California Democratic party.

There are few hard and fast rules in politics. Leno has worked with us before and he has cast pro-gun votes.

Otherwise, as chair of Asm Public Safety, he could have stopped all pro-gun bills last few years - every gun bill I've ever seen goes through that committee. And that just didn't happen.

Ever know Leno to author an anti-gun bill? Guns really aren't that big an issue to a lot of these lawmakers, they just need something to push (or pull) them to the correct side. And we have a great team up there trying to do that (who needs out support!).

Mike

Red Flag
04-07-2006, 1:08 PM

Yea, but they will vote to let child molesters live 1 mile from a school. You dont want to violate their rights....

dwtt
04-07-2006, 1:13 PM
There are few hard and fast rules in politics. Leno has worked with us before and he has cast pro-gun votes.
Guns really aren't that big an issue to a lot of these lawmakers, they just need something to push (or pull) them to the correct side. And we have a great team up there trying to do that (who needs out support!).
Mike
I and many other gun owners are willing to let Leno have his gay marriage if he would allow us to repeal the CA AW ban to align CA laws with federal laws.

PeteyG
04-07-2006, 1:33 PM

Otherwise, as chair of Asm Public Safety, he could have stopped all pro-gun bills last few years - every gun bill I've ever seen goes through that committee. And that just didn't happen.

Ever know Leno to author an anti-gun bill? Guns really aren't that big an issue to a lot of these lawmakers, they just need something to push (or pull) them to the correct side. And we have a great team up there trying to do that (who needs out support!).

Mike
Too bad Leno voted against AB 448 it might have passed. If we could have gotten one vote from Dymally, Spitzer, Hancock.

from http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_0401-0450/ab_448_vote_20060110_000003_asm_comm.html

UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
MEASURE: AB 448
AUTHOR: La Suer
TOPIC: Assault weapons.
DATE: 01/10/2006
MOTION: Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on Appropriations.
(AYES 1. NOES 3.) (FAIL)

AYES

La Suer

NOES

Leno Cohn Goldberg

ABSENT, ABSTAINING, OR NOT VOTING

Dymally Spitzer Hancock

Oh well I like to dream big.

Pete

linuxgunner
04-07-2006, 1:48 PM
I did a lot of work in sending letters on AB 448. Let's face it, it was too big of a step and it had no real hope. We need more incremental type of legislation. Small small steps. How Leno voted on AB 448 shouldn't change our view of him.

On that note, can we please not use words like "Democraps"? They control this state, they have a wide range of views on gun control, and they are all our potential allies. Even the most anti-gun Democrats in the assembly are gun owners and potential supporters. The Assembly majority leader packs a gun. He's as anti-gun as can be but we need to keep an open mind when dealing with all of them because they could all help us someday. Anger doesn't help us.

Charliegone
04-07-2006, 1:54 PM
I did a lot of work in sending letters on AB 448. Let's face it, it was too big of a step and it had no real hope. We need more incremental type of legislation. Small small steps. How Leno voted on AB 448 shouldn't change our view of him.

On that note, can we please not use words like "Democraps"? They control this state, they have a wide range of views on gun control, and they are all our potential allies. Even the most anti-gun Democrats in the assembly are gun owners and potential supporters. The Assembly majority leader packs a gun. He's as anti-gun as can be but we need to keep an open mind when dealing with all of them because they could all help us someday. Anger doesn't help us.

Your right...now if we can get Negrete and Baca and the assembly comittee...:D

mikehaas
04-08-2006, 9:31 AM

You're right. I've heard it many times "THE MOST IMPORTANT VOTE IS... the next one!"

Well, anger does wake up gun-owners to become politically active. But except for that "stage 1" benefit, you are absolutely right. I related in another post how the Prop H initiative would not have even appeared on the ballot if 2 (count 'em - TWO) gun-owning hotheads hadn't waged a public war against the S.F. supervisors CHALLENGING them to support it. (Behind the scenes, NRA had already gotten a majority of supes to quietly say they would not support the atrocity.) Loose cannons are dangerous.

The CA legislature is over 60% Democrat - every pro-gun vote or bill HAS to include significant pro-gun support or it couldn't have happened, so gun-owners really should stop bad-mouthing Democrats. Let's help NRA forge even more alliances. (Remember, NRA is single issue!) Since 2003, the legislature has passed more pro-gun bills than anti-gun, and more anti-gun bills have been defeated than pro-gun.

If we work together, support NRA and stay focused, I believe there's a good chance we can use the federal momentum NRA has acheived to improve the state of RKBA even here in CA.

Mike

shopkeep
04-08-2006, 5:50 PM
I and many other gun owners are willing to let Leno have his gay marriage if he would allow us to repeal the CA AW ban to align CA laws with federal laws.

I would easily vote in favor of gay marriage if they repealed both Roberti-Roos and AB-15. Hell I'd let them marry their dog.

Perhaps what we need are more groups like the Pink Pistols. Groups like the Pink Pistols errode traditional arguements that we're all a bunch of hicks and militia nuts.