PDA

View Full Version : Saiga gas piston installation troubles.

omgwtfbbq
06-26-2010, 11:10 AM
So I'm out in the garage working on my Saiga 7.62x39 removing and replacing the factory gas piston with a Tapco one. It's my understanding that it is usually done by simply drilling out the pin holding in the factory piston, unscrew and replace with the US made one. Well the problem has arisen that the metal pin is stronger than any bits I have. I went and bought a Dewalt cobalt bit, and it destroyed that too... So calgunners, I ask of you advise on what bit I should go get so I can finish this necessarily frustrating modification?

Thanks in advance.

SJgunguy24
06-26-2010, 11:14 AM
So I'm out in the garage working on my Saiga 7.62x39 removing and replacing the factory gas piston with a Tapco one. It's my understanding that it is usually done by simply drilling out the pin holding in the factory piston, unscrew and replace with the US made one. Well the problem has arisen that the metal pin is stronger than any bits I have. I went and bought a Dewalt cobalt bit, and it destroyed that too... So calgunners, I ask of you advise on what bit I should go get so I can finish this necessarily frustrating modification?

Thanks in advance.

Why are you replacing the piston in the first place? You only need 4 parts to comply with 922r, and 3 of those are part of the FCG

NSR500
06-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Do you need the part for compliance? If not, why are you changing the piston?

Next to swapping a barrel that is one of the more challenging compliance mods.
What is your setup so we can understand what you're working with? (Drill Press, Cordless Drill, etc...)

SJgunguy24
06-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Do you need the part for compliance? If not, why are you changing the piston?

What is your setup so we can understand what you're working with? (Drill Press, Cordless Drill, etc...)

I think the barrel is easier personally, no guessing and no need to start stripping paint to find the rivet or buy a new rivet to replace the one you removed.

omgwtfbbq
06-26-2010, 12:10 PM
I am making the change because of 922r compliance. Regardless of why I'm changing the piston... I still need help with the installation. I understand that you might want more info, but the intention of my question was to get answers so I can be done with the installation, not to get more questions. haha.

To the question portion, I've drilled out the pin (figured it out on my own) now I need to unscrew the old piston. Does anyone know some secret way of doing this? I've put in the piston in all sorts of clamps, a table vice etc but I'm not getting the leverage I need to unscrew the piston.

What is your setup so we can understand what you're working with?

I was using a small drill press but actually had better luck with an 18v cordless drill with a titanium bit. The issue now as I've stated is getting the piston to unscrew from the the rest of the bolt group.

icefire
06-26-2010, 2:54 PM
I am making the change because of 922r compliance. Regardless of why I'm changing the piston... I still need help with the installation. I understand that you might want more info, but the intention of my question was to get answers so I can be done with the installation, not to get more questions. haha.

To the question portion, I've drilled out the pin (figured it out on my own) now I need to unscrew the old piston. Does anyone know some secret way of doing this? I've put in the piston in all sorts of clamps, a table vice etc but I'm not getting the leverage I need to unscrew the piston.

I was using a small drill press but actually had better luck with an 18v cordless drill with a titanium bit. The issue now as I've stated is getting the piston to unscrew from the the rest of the bolt group.

I could be wrong on this, but isnt it left hand thread, like the muzzle brake and other threads on a saiga?

slomofo
06-26-2010, 3:00 PM
The piston will unscrew freely with two fingers. If it's not unscrewing, then it means you didn't completely remove the rivet OR you the metal around the base of the rivet hole has mushroomed into the piston which is preventing it from unscrewing. Try reaming out the hole a little bit.

telcolineman
06-26-2010, 3:30 PM
You can also try to put some heat on it, Small torch or commercial heat gun might do it. Heat the housing and it will expand faster than the piston and should unscrew, I personally have not even looked at the saiga. But heat is your friend it a lot on instances

ae13291
06-26-2010, 3:58 PM
remove the rivot completly.

SJgunguy24
06-26-2010, 11:56 PM
I could be wrong on this, but isnt it left hand thread, like the muzzle brake and other threads on a saiga?

No, most Saigas are not threaded, and the piston is standard righty tighty.

remove the rivot completly.

This, the easiest way to get rid of the rivet is drill out one side, but only the head. Don't go all the way through, then use a punch to get it out. I have had trouble with a few unscrewing. Get a piece of leather to protect the carrier and lock that into a vice, then use a pipe wrench to unscrew the piston.

omgwtfbbq
06-27-2010, 1:08 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I was able to remove the old piston after a great deal of effort and a lot of penetrating oil.

I used some rubber tubing I had lying around to protect the piston in a table vice and was able to work it out eventually. Now the tapco piston is in place.

Thanks again!

killshot44
06-27-2010, 1:53 AM
Another happy customer.....

(Only kidding, you did it yourself. Those pistons are little bastards)