PDA

View Full Version : County Sheriffs' elections?

Paladin
04-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I've been trying to find out about CA county sheriffs' elections and have a few questions.

1. Are all 58 counties' sheriffs up for election this year?

2. Are they elected during the June primary or duing the November general election?

3. Are there conditions where a runoff is held (in Nov if first vote is in June)?

4. Do all sheriffs serve 4 yr terms?

5. In other words, are all CA sheriffs elected during the primary of the same year we elect a governor?

6. Where can one find out how much money is spent on these elections?

For Mike Haas: Since sheriffs, for many of us, decide who can and cannot get a CWP, and since the MCs are based on county boundries (which cannot get gerrymandered around), will the MCs get involved in supporting pro-2nd A/CWP sheriff candidates? If not, why not?

linuxgunner
04-06-2006, 7:48 PM
Hi Paladin,

I understand where you're coming from on this. Here's the reality: An NRA endorsement would DOOM the campaign of anyone running for sheriff in the liberal parts of CA (LA, SF, Alameda County, etc). So the NRA cannot and should not endorse. Furthermore, candidates are very wishy-washy in what they say. Here's what I got from Ken Masse, front runner against Sheriff Baca in LA:

Thank you very much for your e-mail. At this time, my position on CCW's is that they will be issued upon demonstrated and articulated need. As your next Sheriff, it is my intention to ensure that Los Angeles County's permit policies are in compliance with existing California law.

Huh? What does that mean? But no matter what it means, he couldn't take any other position on it. If he said, "yes, LA will be shall-issue when I'm sheriff", I would love that but the papers would have headlines like "Ken Masse will issue pistols and badges to everyone in Los Angeles" or whatever. So he can't say that, not if he hopes to win the election.

What do I really think? I really think Ken Masse is going to be a lot better than Sheriff Baca so I'm voting for Masse and I'm going to get a dozen of my friends to do the same. I can articulate some reasons to carry. I think I could issued under Masse. I know I can't under Baca.

So yes I wish the NRA would get involved but they need to be careful.

THESE SHERIFFS' RACES ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT RACES IN CALIFORNIA AT ANY LEVEL FOR CALIFORNIA GUN OWNERS! So find out about the candidates, vote and get your friends to vote.

Paladin
04-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Here's the reality: An NRA endorsement would DOOM the campaign of anyone running for sheriff in the liberal parts of CA (LA, SF, Alameda County, etc). So the NRA cannot and should not endorse.
<snip>
So yes I wish the NRA would get involved but they need to be careful.

I should have been clearer. I wasn't asking if the NRA would come out to endorse specific sheriffs candidates. I was wondering if local MCs could organize to support the sheriffs candidate for their county they think best w/o even mentioning that they're with the NRA or MCs. In other words, could a county MC choose to take on a project like this on their own? My guess, probably not.

I guess a member could, immediately AFTER a MC meeting, say "If anyone is interested in organizing separately from the MC to support candidate X, since they seem to be the most pro-2nd A/CWP AND have the best chance to win and best organization to beat the anti-CWP incumbent, talk to me." ;) Or we could organize something right here, thru CGN.

What do I really think? I really think Ken Masse is going to be a lot better than Sheriff Baca so I'm voting for Masse and I'm going to get a dozen of my friends to do the same. I can articulate some reasons to carry. I think I could issued under Masse. I know I can't under Baca.

If nothing else, if Baca loses and pro-CWP people played a big part ($, volunteered, etc), Masse will be in your debt. Also, he'll know that if he betrays you, you will organize next time AGAINST him.

THESE SHERIFFS' RACES ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT RACES IN CALIFORNIA AT ANY LEVEL FOR CALIFORNIA GUN OWNERS! So find out about the candidates, vote and get your friends to vote.

Send money, volunteer, tell friends, print up flyers to take to gun ranges and gun shops (and explain this to the workers there), get your friends to join CGN, etc.

If we sit on the side lines and don't play the game, how do we expect to win? Remember, we won't have another chance to vote for sheriffs again until 2010!

linuxgunner
04-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I guess a member could, immediately AFTER a MC meeting, say "If anyone is interested in organizing separately from the MC to support candidate X, since they seem to be the most pro-2nd A/CWP AND have the best chance to win and best organization to beat the anti-CWP incumbent, talk to me." ;)

That seems like the way to go. I'll start showing up at my LA MC meetings and getting that going. Also, Mr. Masse could even speak at an MC meeting or something like that maybe, which would not trigger any nasty headlines but would help us understand his position.

I honestly think that these CA county sheriff elections are the most important gun battles in the US right now. CA is the biggest state and if we can get CA issuing more often it will be an enormous victory. Right now we have about 40k people issued. Imagine if we could get 100k people. It's not a huge number but they are dedicated voters.

Paladin
04-07-2006, 12:28 AM
That seems like the way to go. I'll start showing up at my LA MC meetings and getting that going.

Probably too late to go that route -- only 8 weeks until the election. I may have some ideas that I'll try to PM to you and others who interacted in the previous thread re LA Co sheriff's race.

I honestly think that these CA county sheriff elections are the most important gun battles in the US right now. CA is the biggest state and if we can get CA issuing more often it will be an enormous victory. Right now we have about 40k people issued. Imagine if we could get 100k people. It's not a huge number but they are dedicated voters.

I agree. Unfortunately, if my guess is right and all 58 sheriffs will be elected this June, it looks like we're too late for a state-wide effort. Perhaps we, here at CGN, can have an impact on LA or another county where a clearly anti sheriff has serious competition from someone who may be pro or at least not anti-CWP. Or, it might be the case that we should throw our weight (ie, $$$) toward a (rural) incumbent that is pro and is being seriously challenged by an anti.

We are so far behind the curve on this approach, even as far as getting basic info, that there is no time to waste.

FWIW I don't even live in So. Cal., so this is of no direct benefit to me or any of my friends or family. Just doing this for the good of the state.

Rumpled
04-07-2006, 1:51 AM
I'm encouraged in OC. Carona is said by some to by nearly shall issue, though there still are hoops to jump through.
He was outpolled by the OCSD union by Joe? West( edit it's actually Bill Hunt) like 35 to 28%
So, I went to find his CCW policy.
He says that Carona has "only" issued 1200 and that he would issue to anyone meeting requirements of law.
Now that sounds shall issue.

m1371
04-07-2006, 6:50 AM
Here's the reality: An NRA endorsement would DOOM the campaign of anyone running for sheriff in the liberal parts of CA (LA, SF, Alameda County, etc).

If that was all it would take to ensure Baca wouldn't get re-elected, then the NRA should publicly endorse him. Loudly, so that everyone hears it. :D

Those of us who are pro-gun and know the score with him already know better than to vote for Baca (at least I hope so).

Letting the liberal anti-gun types know that the NRA is all for him "might" cost him a few votes.

We all know that "NRA = evil", right? :rolleyes:

Ahhh...... If it were only so easy.

linuxgunner
04-07-2006, 9:31 AM
Probably too late to go that route -- only 8 weeks until the election. I may have some ideas that I'll try to PM to you and others who interacted in the previous thread re LA Co sheriff's race.

Yeah it's too late to be doing very much except telling EVERYONE YOU KNOW, VOTE FOR KEN MASSE. This can be very effective. I would say that 95% of the voters have no idea who to vote for in a sheriff's campaign. All the candidates talk about the same stuff: commitment to public safetey, etc. So most people have no idea who to vote for or that it even makes a difference. Well it does make a difference! This one guy controls issuance for millions of people. He has the same power (over CCW) that the governor, senate and house of most states have. Most of the people you know are going to just vote randomly, or for the incumbent, or whatever. So just get the word out.

We are so far behind the curve on this approach, even as far as getting basic info, that there is no time to waste.

That's true. There are still plenty of things we could do but if we had gotten moving earlier we could have done more.

CCW is the most important anti-gun-control thing there is and a few sheriffs control CCW policies for millions. These are as important as any other state effort, like the WI CCW effort.

FWIW I don't even live in So. Cal., so this is of no direct benefit to me or any of my friends or family. Just doing this for the good of the state.

Thank you! We need all the help we can get.

Punkermonkey
04-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Anyone have info on the candidates running in Riverside County for Sheriff? Bob Doyle is anti-CCW.

Paladin
04-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Anyone have info on the candidates running in Riverside County for Sheriff? Bob Doyle is anti-CCW.

"The donors and insiders who received the badges or identification have given more than $150,000 since 1997 to political campaigns for Baca, Doyle and Ramos.

The biggest contributions went to Doyle, who received at least $93,000 from Nalbandian's group between January 2002 and June 2005 more than 20% of his fundraising total during that period."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-nalbandian13mar13,0,6961854.story