PDA

View Full Version : Need some help taking off my muzzle break!

tvfreakarms
06-26-2010, 2:02 AM
Anyone in sacramento that could help me take off my muzzle break on my pof? I need it taken off asap so that I can send it back to pof for an exchange. I never done it before and i don't have the necessary tools to do it. This sunday or monday would be good. Let me know.

thevic
06-26-2010, 2:05 AM
... what is the length of your barrel? 14.5 or 16"?

bjl333
06-26-2010, 2:24 AM
... what is the length of your barrel? 14.5 or 16"?

If its a 14.5 then send the whole thing back.

If its a 16 then you'll need a torch, some heavy gloves, .... just go to Youtube and type in "removing flash hider" or something like that. There is this video showing you how its done.

slomofo
06-26-2010, 2:25 AM
I only use a torch if it's silver flux soldered on, but if not, be a man, use a wrench and a vise.

elrcastor
06-26-2010, 7:29 AM
assuming it's not pinned and welded or silver soddered on, an adjustable wrench with the upper in a vice will get it right off

joelogic
06-26-2010, 7:43 AM
In a pinch I have used a wrench, a towel, and my foot.

tvfreakarms
06-27-2010, 2:37 AM
It's a 16" barrel and not it's not permanent. I don't have any vice grip and decent tools do this. Plus i'm not very handy type person. I'm a type of person that will try something like this but do more damage than good.

Mesa Defense
06-27-2010, 9:37 AM
strap wrench from plumbing supply house works great...might help

gasol1ne
06-27-2010, 10:44 AM
In a pinch I have used a wrench, a towel, and my foot.

haha ive done that before. its a very effective technique.

SJgunguy24
06-27-2010, 10:51 AM
It's a 16" barrel and not it's not permanent. I don't have any vice grip and decent tools do this. Plus i'm not very handy type person. I'm a type of person that will try something like this but do more damage than good.

Before you destroy anything take it to a shop and let them do it. Trust me I kinda work on guns a lot. If your not sure you can or have the proper tools for the job get help.

Tony.
06-27-2010, 10:59 AM

This is a good thing, since it is not the proper tool for the job ;)

CHS
06-27-2010, 4:47 PM
A torch people? Seriously?

POF brakes are on using a weird little lock-nut behind the brake. You'll need two crescent wrenches of the appropriate size. Put the upper in a upper receiver vice block, or clamp the barrel between two pieces of wood with a round channel cut through them. Get your two crescent wrenches and put one on each set of flats. The brake will have a set, and so will the lock-nut. While holding the wrench on the brake still, rotate the lock nut to the right (yes, you would be screwing it ONTO the barrel, essentially. Don't worry, it has some give) just to break it free. A quarter turn should be all it needs. Once the lock-nut is broken free, just use the other crescent wrench to undo the brake from the barrel. Then remove the lock-nut if you need to.

If the lock-nut can't be screwed tighter onto the barrel to break it free, hold that wrench from moving, and try unscrewing the brake with the other wrench to break it free from the lock nut.

It's usually easier the first way I suggested though.

tvfreakarms
06-28-2010, 1:21 AM
Not feeling confident trying it for the very first time. Might be better to have find a shop or someone with experience.

Adehtla
06-28-2010, 1:39 AM
If you were closer to Fremont I'd gladly help you out, but it looks like your in Sac.

elsolo
06-28-2010, 1:56 AM
If it scares you, don't do it.
Just pay the few extra bucks and ship the whole upper back so they can also install the new one and make sure it is concentric and clocked correctly.

tvfreakarms
06-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the offer. I did contact pof and I had another issue with my hg so i'm returning the upper. They're going to replace the muzzle Break with the newer triple port muzzle break.

If you were closer to Fremont I'd gladly help you out, but it looks like your in Sac.

telcolineman
06-29-2010, 12:42 AM
If you are not comfortable putting the upper in a vise, I take the fully assembled rifle and stand it up while I am sitting down and hold it between my knees and use a wrench to unscrew it, If it has the jam nut then you should be able to use 2 wrenches as previously described and back off the jam nut and unscrew the brake. Definately use adjustable [crescent] wrenches as you can snug them down tight so it won't mar the finish on the nut or brake, I have done this numerous times without damage. Or if you prefer I am about an hour from Sac, PM me and I will give you my address and # and I will help you remove it
Jim

tvfreakarms
07-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the offer. But i was lucky to send it back to pof. I had some other issues and they are going to take care of it. But maybe next time.

If you are not comfortable putting the upper in a vise, I take the fully assembled rifle and stand it up while I am sitting down and hold it between my knees and use a wrench to unscrew it, If it has the jam nut then you should be able to use 2 wrenches as previously described and back off the jam nut and unscrew the brake. Definately use adjustable [crescent] wrenches as you can snug them down tight so it won't mar the finish on the nut or brake, I have done this numerous times without damage. Or if you prefer I am about an hour from Sac, PM me and I will give you my address and # and I will help you remove it
Jim

Fjold
07-02-2010, 4:24 PM
I wrap the gun in a bath towel, put it on a wooden chair and sit on it. Then I just take a open end wrench or crescent wrench and unscrew it.

When your sitting on the receiver with the barrel sticking out in front of you, push down on the wrench with your right hand to unscrew it.

thrillhouse700
07-03-2010, 12:31 AM
You could clamp it down then hit it with a big wrench then smash it with a sledge hammer then throw it in your pond.....

pyromensch
07-03-2010, 9:56 PM
You could clamp it down then hit it with a big wrench then smash it with a sledge hammer then throw it in your pond.....

just can't let it go....huh?

thought of it myself, but waited on someone else

pyromensch
07-03-2010, 9:58 PM
I wrap the gun in a bath towel, put it on a wooden chair and sit on it. Then I just take a open end wrench or crescent wrench and unscrew it.

When your sitting on the receiver with the barrel sticking out in front of you, push down on the wrench with your right hand to unscrew it.

where is the moderator? don't you think this is kind of borderline at least?

bomb_on_bus
07-03-2010, 10:52 PM

I have been guilty of pretty much the same thing (Smith and Wesson Barstool) and it works well. Hillbilly engineering at its best!:chris:

We need to get a hillbilly or some sort of redneck smileyface here up on CGF.................oh wait LOL we have tons of em already with guns and beers. We just need one with a truckers hat!:D