PDA

View Full Version : What color night sights give the most contrast?

Mr_Monkeywrench
06-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Ive got a Sig P228 trade in from turners, and the sights are DEAD! so now its time for some Trijicon night sights and I was wondering, which ones will give me the most contrast? Green/Yellow or Green/Orange. I want to be able to get on my front sight and focus on it as fast as I can. What do Y'all think?

And, can anyone recommend a good Gunsmith that can install them? (Im in Orange County)

kimber_ss
06-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Green is the brightest color to the human eye. But, if I were you, I would choose whichever color you personally like the best. Gunsmith help from another member.

1911Operator
06-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Green is the brightest color to the human eye. But, if I were you, I would choose whichever color you personally like the best. Gunsmith help from another member.

+1 green would be ideal. you could put green rear and red front :rolleyes:

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
06-26-2010, 3:46 AM
green. it glows in the dark too. :43:

Snapping Twig
06-26-2010, 6:29 AM
Green for the front, orange for the rear - no parallax.

I've got all green Trijicons and the green/orange, the green/orange is MILES better.

Ask yourself this...

Can you tell the front dot from the rear dots in the dark? Are you sure the front dot is between the two rear dots?

Different colors and you can, without - a little tougher to say the least.

Greg-Dawg
06-26-2010, 6:38 AM
Green, horny green.

patriot_man
06-26-2010, 6:46 AM
Green/Orange

The difference between these two colors are huge and and advantage.

xxINKxx
06-26-2010, 7:38 AM
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=222461

Scroll down a tiny but, there is a color chart with the percentages to compare to the different colors of eachother.

Green is the brightest, as to blue being the bottom of the totem pole

tbhracing
06-26-2010, 8:00 AM
I have all green Trijicon on all of my Glocks and SIGS.

Also, please post a photo of that new Sig P228. :D

Thanks

Mr_Monkeywrench
06-26-2010, 9:06 AM
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a450/Mr_monkeywrench/Calguns%20pics/P228007.jpg here is a pic. Ive had it for a few months but only shot it a few time. It has some wear on the slide, but the frame is beautiful. The night sights are dead as stated above and one of the grip screws is stripped out. Other than that, It is a DREAM to shoot

calishine
06-26-2010, 9:11 AM
Nice 228. I would also go green/orange.

Mr_Monkeywrench
06-26-2010, 9:14 AM
Nice 228. I would also go green/orange.

Yeah, I figured that would work out the best. I found the Trijicon Night sights on OpticsPlanet.com for $84 and change

DaveFJ80
06-26-2010, 9:14 AM
I like Green/Orange or Green/Yellow. I've even used a friend's Green/Blue (baby blue, almost LED white) and that was nice. But always the brighter green color up front.

To me, if green is in the back, then it's too bright in complete dark situations when you try to align the sights quickly.... but then maybe that's just me and my bad eyes :p.

patriot_man
06-26-2010, 9:47 AM
Same color sights in my opinion are not good as multicolor night sights. You can get confused under stress an have your sights lined up incorrectly while having a multicolor you know it is x color in between y color

tbhracing
06-26-2010, 9:54 AM
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a450/Mr_monkeywrench/Calguns%20pics/P228007.jpg here is a pic. Ive had it for a few months but only shot it a few time. It has some wear on the slide, but the frame is beautiful. The night sights are dead as stated above and one of the grip screws is stripped out. Other than that, It is a DREAM to shoot

Sweet 228!

I would consider this- Send it back to Sig for the full service package including re-blue the slide. And they will install factory SIG sites too, but all one color.They might do the screws for you too.

Its a small price to pay for a long term investment.

As for night site colors, I have only used all 1 color. But then again- I only focus on the front site. :)

Mr_Monkeywrench
06-26-2010, 2:33 PM
is there a decent gunsmith in orange county that can install them for me? I hear ADE's is pretty good, but he is a hard one to find in shop

jdg30
06-26-2010, 2:44 PM

That's a good looking gun. I like the holster wear on the slide. If I had that gun I would leave the slide just how it is because it gives it character.

All my Glocks have green night sights in front and back. Only one has a green in the front and yellow in the back. The yellow is lighter than the green in brightness. It contrasts well but honestly I think all green is just fine. It's not that hard to aim with either all green or contrasting sights.

In addition, if it is so pitch dark that you can't align your sights because they are all green, would you even be able to identify the target that you are shooting at in the first place? What if it was someone that you really didn't want to shoot? I think night sights are for low light conditions but not total darkness. That's what a good flashlight or tactical light is for.

tbhracing
06-26-2010, 3:12 PM
In addition, if it is so pitch dark that you can't align your sights because they are all green, would you even be able to identify the target that you are shooting at in the first place? What if it was someone that you really didn't want to shoot? I think night sights are for low light conditions but not total darkness. That's what a good flashlight or tactical light is for.

Damn- Too much good stuff posted on CGN today!

jumpthestack
06-27-2010, 9:20 PM
That's a good looking gun. I like the holster wear on the slide. If I had that gun I would leave the slide just how it is because it gives it character.

+1, it looks good as is.