PDA

View Full Version : Contender/Encore Rifle: Can it be turned into pistol, legally?

ocabj
04-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Let's say a person or dealer has a Contender or Encore rifle. Can that be DROSed as a pistol when transfered/sold to another party?

Or is the turning a rifle into a pistol a no-go situation since they will try to trace the origins of the pistol as it left the factory and find out it left the manufacturer as a rifle?

klmmicro
04-06-2006, 2:56 PM
Let's say a person or dealer has a Contender or Encore rifle. Can that be DROSed as a pistol when transfered/sold to another party?

Or is the turning a rifle into a pistol a no-go situation since they will try to trace the origins of the pistol as it left the factory and find out it left the manufacturer as a rifle?

Last I checked (with a firearms attorney, Thompson, the BATF and CalDOJ) the rifle or carbine must be kept as a rifle or carbine. The pistol version of either the Contender or the Encore can be configured as a rifle or pistol. There is no difference in the frames, other than the way the serial number was recorded/reported by Thompson. Everyone I asked answered the same way on the rifle to pistol question.

Despite the conflicting reports you will read about this subject, you are better off safe than sorry. A conviction for manufacturing an SRB will ensure that you will legally own NEITHER in the future. I know you can buy a tax stamp that allows you to build an SRB, but that is genereally not what the original question about TC's is referring to.

Until recently, Thompson only sold the rifle/carbines into the state of California as the pistols would be subject to drop testing. Now with the exemption, you could by the pistol version here.

To be safe, I would buy a PISTOL registered TC a Contender/Encore. I own a rifle that I dearly love, but the thought of a single shot pistol intrigues me. I am going to sell my frame and purchase a correctly recorded replacement.

ocabj
04-06-2006, 6:53 PM
I was talking with a friend of mine who has a few older Contender pistols from before the CA safe handgun list went into effect and he wasn't exactly sure which is why I posed this question here.

I am *this* close to buying a G2 Contender pistol (probably with a 30-30 barrel) from a dealer in NV for a real good price. I'm going to talk to a 01 FFL holder at my club this Sunday.

Mike Searson
04-06-2006, 7:01 PM
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/thompson.txt