View Full Version : need a little help

06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
My grandfather recently passed away and left two of his guns to his son being my uncle, and one which my uncle is willing to let me have but the gun is currently out getting custom wood grips made for it while he passed away. This should make my grandmother the legal owner of the hand gun. Knowing this when she gets it back my question is how do I go about getting it... Here is the problem I think he had it registered to him while he was here in Cali. They or my grandmother now lives in AZ. once the gun is returned to her what needs to be done for her to transfer it to me and prove that he has passed and that it is hers?

Another note there is a bit of history behind this gun, He served as an MP in France a long time ago and it was stolen while he was there. He finished his service and returned to the states still not knowing what happened or who had stolen the gun. They recovered the gun and decided to send it to him The plastic gips were cracked so he decided at the begining of this year to have custom wood grips made for it. Honestly I have no idea what it is and I kind of don't really care I just want to be sure I get it in my name since it has family history and it's one thing I can have to remember him by.

Thanks in advance,

06-26-2010, 12:05 AM
You have three sets of laws to think about.

1) AZ inheritance laws - how does granny get granddad's gun into her name, and does AZ really care?

2) Federal law, since this would be a transfer from AZ to CA; if granddad did not directly will it to you, its not an inheritance, so it seems a CA FFL is required for this interstate transfer.

3) CA law - since the transfer needs a CA FFL, the gun must either already be on the handgun Roster, or granny can give the gun to you; intrafamilial gifts are exempt from the Roster.

See these two articles on the Calguns Foundation Wiki: Intrafamilial transfer (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members) and Interstate transfer (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate).

06-26-2010, 12:10 AM
sorry about ur grandpa! but i do agree you should keep it for ever! that gun must have character and its got a good story behind it! good luck with getting it!

06-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Sorry to hear your Grandpa passed. I hope option #3 becomes available to you. It would probably be the easiest.

06-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the links. Some good info in there and I would receive it as a gift, I'm sure my grandmother would be willing to bring it here for the transfer once she receives it back from the guy doing the grips for it. This should leave it exempt from the roster, so I suppose I just sit and wait to find out when she will get it back.