PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Cap Mag question, Post Reg.

expo
04-05-2006, 10:49 PM
I've been searching around.... and i can't seem to find what im looking for,

Assuming that the lowers list, as we are hoping. Once we register them and are able to add 'evil' features, such as a detachable clip..... will the clip have to be 10 rounds? What are the legalities of using a 30rnd? is it possable if the 30rnd clip was owned prior to the hi-cap mag ban? Do you need to have proof of purchase, how would LEO know if the mag was pre/post ban?

Thank You

expo

blkA4alb
04-05-2006, 11:04 PM
first of all it is a magazine, not a clip. if these are listed as AWs then we can use detachable magazines, if you owned the "standard" capacity magazine before the ban than yes you may use them. there is almost no way for anyone to know when you owned that magazine unless they catch you bringing it into cali because you are able to replace the mag bodies for repair. the burden of proof is on the state to show that you did NOT own it before the ban, i am not condoning this but take it as you will.

EBWhite
04-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Right now, you have 2 choices as they are unlisted:
Detachable magazine (1 to a 10,000 round capacity :-) ), no AW features
or fixed magazine (10 rounds MAX) and all AW features...

Once they are listed, you can have a detachable magazine with any capacity...

You do not need proof of ownership on the pre-ban magazine. If you read the law, there is nothing banning the ownership of them or possession. Selling, giving, importing is banned. For example, if you go next weekend to a vegas gun show and buy a 30 rounder from a DOJ sting, they follow you back into california with it---then your screwed...
Again, this topic has been beat to death. It is almost impossible to enforce the law and I'm sure it is broken a lot....Something i don't recommend doing though....

krazek
04-06-2006, 1:30 AM
Detachable magazine (1 to a 10,000 round capacity :-) )

I wanna see that magazine ;)

xenophobe
04-06-2006, 6:54 AM
One thing to note, if you're under 24 years old, you might have a hard time convincing someone that you legally possessed a high capacity magazine before the ban. lol :p

Just a thought....

-aK-
04-06-2006, 7:11 AM
Here is a link
http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/code/code.html?sec=pen&codesection=12020-12040

Here is the stuff you asked for

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

Or the handbook which is the DOJ's Firearm laws for dummies
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf
It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, cause to be manufactured, import into the
state, keep for sale, or offer or expose for sale, or give or lend, any large-capacity
magazine. (Penal Code 12020(a)(2).)

ohsmily
04-06-2006, 7:12 AM
One thing to note, if you're under 24 years old, you might have a hard time convincing someone that you legally possessed a high capacity magazine before the ban. lol :p

Just a thought....

I disagree. This has been discussed before. If you were born before Jan 1, 2000, you can easily have legally come into possession of full caps before Jan 1, 2000. Someone could have given you a magazine or magazines when you were a child or even an infant. Also, there was no regulation of age to purchase a magazine. A 17 year old could have purchased a magazine just as easily as a 20 year old.

Having said that, I am 25 and made sure to buy many magazines and an Armalite before the ban.