PDA

View Full Version : magpul afg vs. traditional vertical grips

JOLLYROGER
06-25-2010, 7:16 PM
:chris:anyone have a magpul afg? looking for opinions on them vs. regular vertical grips...pros...cons..

Arteel
06-25-2010, 7:24 PM
Asking for other opinions will not be as effective as 1st hand experience. Buy them all. If anything, you can sell for a slight loss, but the experience you get will
be worth it.

To answer your question though, I like the AFG better than a VFG, though I'm not fully convinced. I still prefer not using any forward grips.

evidens83
06-25-2010, 7:30 PM
I love my RVG :D Next build will sport an AFG though.

C_1
06-25-2010, 9:58 PM
If you shoot like how Magpul shows ya in their videos, then you will probably like the AFG. However, a "traditional" VFG will work kind of the same. You can use it as a handstop- Magpul style, or you can grip the actual VFG, and use it like that.

I prefer a lil hand stop or no forward grip. Like Arteel suggested, buy the AFG and a VFG, and try em out. Then sell the one you dont like or save it for another gun..

Capt. Speirs
06-25-2010, 10:33 PM
I installed an AFG on my Stag Model 2T. I don't like it with a quad rail. I am going to replace the rail with Troy Industries' 13" TRX BattleRail Extreme and see how it fits my hand then. My problem is the quad rail is too thick, the thin TRX should improve the grip tremendously.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z186/Speirs_photo/TRO_213-2.jpg

technique
06-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Depends on if you understand the concept behind the AFG.

You really need a good sized rail to utilize it properly, or hang it partially off of a smaller rail.
It works great and is very low-pro.

I, on my shorter builds, use a tango down stubby and I cut it down even...stubbier.

Koolpsych
06-25-2010, 11:10 PM
I usually run a tangodown on my AR but have attached a friend's AFG to my gun.

My shooting style is like that of the magpul video and I found it very comfortable to hold the AFG, but I think I am still more in favor of the tangodown. I use my tangodown as a handstop rather than a grip and I just prefer putting my hand on the rails themselves (I use ladder covers) rather than the AFG but I would think it would be personal preference.

I would ask around and see if anyone has an AFG you can hold, I think after feeling it you could decide whether you like it or not.

UserM4
06-25-2010, 11:55 PM
I think it depends. If you're always pulling the trigger, running and gunning, and generally fighting, the AFG with the fencing grip is absolutely tits for target acquisition and recoil management. But if you're patrolling and clearing with your rifle, without body armor, a traditional VFG or a mag well hold is more compact and less tiresome on the support arm.

bigian
06-25-2010, 11:59 PM
I love my AFG, it's super comfortable... For me anyways....

willm952
06-26-2010, 12:13 AM
I attached it to a m4 hand guard with a rail adapter. It stuck out a little. takes a lot of rail space. So if you use rails, basically your bottom rail is used up. Takes about 13 rails or 7 slots.

It does feel comfortable. The Magpul style grip works well but I found it tweaks my wrist after 2 days of carbine training. The afg angle is just right but with the smooth attachment and not the finger stop. I'd get black or foliage green.

One thing to note, if you have a cmmg gas piston with hand guards or rails and the afg it is big to grip, unless you have big hands. Lwrc rail diameter is smaller than cmmg so the afg won't really affect your grip negatively.