PDA

View Full Version : 9mm AR uppers?

TZL
06-25-2010, 3:38 PM
so i want to build a 9mm AR setup

which 9mm upper doesn't require a dedicated hammer? I remeber there was one, was it spikes or CMMG?

Full Clip
06-25-2010, 3:39 PM
This may be of interest to you. (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU9100&groupid=55)

NSR500
06-25-2010, 3:40 PM
CMMG with their ramped 9mm bolt.
BTW... I think Spike's also uses the CMMG bolt.

Josh3239
06-25-2010, 3:49 PM
Their is no Spikes or CMMG style. It is either Colt or Olympic style. You need to read up more about that. Any system that is Colt style (like CMMG or Spikes) needs either a 9mm hammer or a ramped BCG. The usage of a regular 9mm carrier with a 9mm hammer is nearly dead, most 9mm Colt style conversions now use the .223 hammer and a ramped 9mm bolt.

pacrimguru
06-25-2010, 4:03 PM
yes, cmmg carriers now come ramped. spikes, which are cmmg, are gtg too. no need for a special 9mm hammer, except it is better to run the rounded head style hammers and not the notched ones.

bjl333
06-25-2010, 4:43 PM
Their is no Spikes or CMMG style. It is either Colt or Olympic style. You need to read up more about that. Any system that is Colt style (like CMMG or Spikes) needs either a 9mm hammer or a ramped BCG. The usage of a regular 9mm carrier with a 9mm hammer is nearly dead, most 9mm Colt style conversions now use the .223 hammer and a ramped 9mm bolt.

So my CMMG upper requires a special hammer ?!?!? I thought CMMG's don't require any special hammer, just the standard 5.56 hammer !!!

knifebright
06-26-2010, 6:32 PM
Hello all
After all that searching, the thread I need is right here! :D

I'm in a similiar situation: I was going to get an additional AR and deal with swapping the 9mm upper and parts when needed but i've decided that I want a dedicated 9mm.

Could someone point me in the right direction:
*OP i dont want to start a new thread on the same subject, hope you don't mind me tagging in on yours. :cool:

I have:
-RRA 9mm upper
-9mm BCG
-Charging handle

I believe I need:
-Magwell conversion block
-sub caliber buffer
-sub caliber buffer spring
-9mm hammer
-10rd 9mm magazine

Thank you in advance to anyone that can poke, prod, push, kick, or point me in the correct direction.
Jimmy

Josh3239
06-26-2010, 8:17 PM
So my CMMG upper requires a special hammer ?!?!? I thought CMMG's don't require any special hammer, just the standard 5.56 hammer !!!

I'll bet your carrier is ramped so you won't need a 9mm hammer.

I have:
-RRA 9mm upper
-9mm BCG
-Charging handle

I believe I need:
-sub caliber buffer
-9mm hammer
-10rd 9mm magazine

Jimmy, most 9mm carrier groups that are sold are ramped which means you don't need a 9mm hammer. A 9mm buffer is the perfect weight for a 9mm, you don't need to replace your buffer spring.

knifebright
06-26-2010, 8:28 PM
Awesome!
Thank you very much.

bjl333
06-26-2010, 9:05 PM
I'll bet your carrier is ramped so you won't need a 9mm hammer.

Jimmy, most 9mm carrier groups that are sold are ramped which means you don't need a 9mm hammer. A 9mm buffer is the perfect weight for a 9mm, you don't need to replace your buffer spring.

But Josh, when I was looking for a 9mm upper the RRA upper seems to need a round hammer. I thought I remember something like that .....

tenpercentfirearms
06-26-2010, 9:07 PM
I have around 13 or 14 ARs now and not a single one has a standard trigger. Get a RRA NM trigger and you can use just about anyone's 9mm upper. I am going to take my 9mm upper out and test out my new featureless lower for it tomorrow with my new C Products 32nd mags. I will try and post a link to the video.

jchen76@gmail.com
06-26-2010, 9:08 PM
Owning a 9mm AR conversion, the quality and placement of the magwell block is probably most important part if it's not a dedicated AR 9mm lower. I have RRA 9mm system and it shoots all low types of ammo without a hitch.

esskay
06-26-2010, 9:14 PM
When I built mine I bought a "9mm buffer spring" and what do you know it looked exactly the same as a carbine buffer spring...

slomofo
06-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Hello all
After all that searching, the thread I need is right here! :D

I'm in a similiar situation: I was going to get an additional AR and deal with swapping the 9mm upper and parts when needed but i've decided that I want a dedicated 9mm.

Could someone point me in the right direction:
*OP i dont want to start a new thread on the same subject, hope you don't mind me tagging in on yours. :cool:

I have:
-RRA 9mm upper
-9mm BCG
-Charging handle

I believe I need:
-sub caliber buffer
-9mm hammer
-10rd 9mm magazine

Thank you in advance to anyone that can poke, prod, push, kick, or point me in the correct direction.
Jimmy

I would just get the RRA 9mm dedicated lower, it comes fully assembled for $359ish. There's no need for a mag block because the lower is machined to only accept Colt style 9mm magazines. The RRA lower also has a 9mm buffer and ejector (though I've never noticed a difference between 9mm/.223 buffers).

Contrary to what Josh3239 has told you, RRA 9mm bolt carriers require a 9mm hammer.

Josh3239
06-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Contrary to what Josh3239 has told you, RRA 9mm bolt carriers require a 9mm hammer.

What I said was, if the bolt is ramped he doesn't need a 9mm hammer. If RRA doesn't ramp their bolts than he does need one. In fact, I don't even think a 9mm hammer would work with a ramped bolt. Here is a pic (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/Racer351/9mmRampedBolt.jpg) of a ramped 9mm bolt. You can check yourself.

MicronuT
06-27-2010, 7:02 PM
what about a 2 stage trigger hammer? 223 setup.. will this still function in a 9mm rra?

nevermind... bad idea

TZL
06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
now...where are the best deals on 9mm cmmg or spikes uppers?

also where are the best deals on good magwell blocks ?

jchen76@gmail.com
06-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Riflegear has rra for 149. Spike's is 135 on their website. Cproducts has a polymer version for 99, no reviews though. Hahn's make one, pricey at over 200. Rra is good, spike's gives you good customer service if there are issues.

bjl333
06-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Riflegear has rra for 149. Spike's is 135 on their website. Cproducts has a polymer version for 99, no reviews though. Hahn's make one, pricey at over 200. Rra is good, spike's gives you good customer service if there are issues.

I'll post a report on the C-product next week after I come back in town !!!

tenpercentfirearms
06-29-2010, 9:32 PM
I went out and tested my RRA dedicated 9mm lower with the C Products 32 round mags. It ran great. And that is a RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger and hammer in there so I know they work with the 9mm uppers.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/video/video.php?v=439289197145&ref=mf

MicronuT
06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
I went out and tested my RRA dedicated 9mm lower with the C Products 32 round mags. It ran great. And that is a RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger and hammer in there so I know they work with the 9mm uppers.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/video/video.php?v=439289197145&ref=mf

did, they change their parts of the bolt at any time recently?

i tried charging my bolt and it locked back over some part of the 2 stage system.... wouldnt return to battery.

i forgot to ask, what upper are you using?

CHS
06-30-2010, 9:25 AM
What I said was, if the bolt is ramped he doesn't need a 9mm hammer. If RRA doesn't ramp their bolts than he does need one. In fact, I don't even think a 9mm hammer would work with a ramped bolt. Here is a pic (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/Racer351/9mmRampedBolt.jpg) of a ramped 9mm bolt. You can check yourself.

RRA uppers ARE NOT RAMPED. That's what he's trying to tell you.

The guy you responded to clearly stated that he had a RRA upper.

For a RRA upper you either need to get it ramped, or just use the 9mm hammer.

I use a 9mm hammer with my RRA upper with JP yellow springs, and I polished the trigger and hammer sear surfaces. It's a pretty nice pull and cost a whopping 10$ for the JP springs.

Eventually I'll have my RRA bolt ramped. When I do that I might swap out for a new trigger group.