PDA

View Full Version : SCHOOL ME ON BARREL/SLIDE PORTING

gemini1
06-25-2010, 2:10 PM
I've read about ported barrel/slide pistols years ago, but I was'nt interested back then since I only have one pistol and it was brand new. But now that my pistol has over thousands of rounds, and may be describe as old, I'm starting to think about having it mag na ported. Ive read about online pros and cons and was wondering if anyone here at CGN has their auto pistol ported? Would it be wise to have an old auto pistol ported? it cost about $140.ish from this company;
If it matters, I have a S&W 6904.

http://www.magnaport.com/misc.html

elsolo
06-26-2010, 12:30 AM
If you like the way it looks, that's about the only thing you'll gain.

Ported barrel without a compensator on the muzzle is not very effective at reducing muzzle rise, not that a 9mm has significant recoil to tame.

bjl333
06-26-2010, 12:38 AM
If you like the way it looks, that's about the only thing you'll gain.

Ported barrel without a compensator on the muzzle is not very effective at reducing muzzle rise, not that a 9mm has significant recoil to tame.

And also the insides of your slide will be really really dirty, because the gas exiting the ported barrel will have free space to roam inside the slide before it finds an exit.

If you want the cool factor get a comp put on. Don't port the barrel/slide on an auto unless you like to CLEAN !!!

gemini1
06-27-2010, 7:47 PM
And also the insides of your slide will be really really dirty, because the gas exiting the ported barrel will have free space to roam inside the slide before it finds an exit.

If you want the cool factor get a comp put on. Don't port the barrel/slide on an auto unless you like to CLEAN !!!

A comp? sorry but not sure I follow you, does this mean I would have to change to a longer barrel to scew on a comp?

dexter9659
06-27-2010, 9:12 PM
I have a G20c and a G20sf. I have done a direct comparison with a ported G20 and an unported G20 with everything from factory loads of all sorts to roughly a dozen handloads of my design. I can tell you without a doubt the compensator makes a huge difference in muzzle climb. I would not hesitate to say I experienced a 40% reduction in muzzle climb and follow up shot time.

However

You will lose velocity. The bullet will not gain velocity once the gas is redirected out the porting.
The recoil will be noticeably louder.
ect ect.

Is the gun worth porting? I say no. Instead I would take that money and stash it away in a safe or wherever you stash cash and use i for your next firearm. If you planned on competing with the gun things may be different, but apart from that, I feel your cash could be better spent on a new gun down the road. There are countless desirable firearms out there... gotta catch'em all.

j1133s
06-28-2010, 1:23 AM
I've read about ported barrel/slide pistols years ago, but I was'nt interested back then since I only have one pistol and it was brand new. But now that my pistol has over thousands of rounds, and may be describe as old, I'm starting to think about having it mag na ported. Ive read about online pros and cons and was wondering if anyone here at CGN has their auto pistol ported? Would it be wise to have an old auto pistol ported? it cost about $140.ish from this company;
If it matters, I have a S&W 6904.

http://www.magnaport.com/misc.html

I've experience w/ shooting ported pistols, and it does help with a muzzle rise. If that is your goal, then porting will help.

The ports lets gas escape and since it is on top, it forces the muzzle downwards, the slide must be cut to allow the gas to escape.

There is sometimes a cheaper alternative where you can by a ported, replacement barrel (longer than your current) so that you don't cut the slide.

As you must have guessed, the amount of gas will determine the amount of compensation you get, so different ammo can have slightly different effects on your shooting.

TERRYGER
06-28-2010, 7:57 AM
i have an xd 40 v10. i like it as it is not a usual model but would not have paid extra.

it's no more/less(very good) accurate than my other pistols and muzzel control is negligable.

drawbacks are the cleaning that was mentioned, front sight will almost disappear after 50-60 rounds, though a quick thumb wipe brings it back.
there is a distinctive v fire exhaust that is visable on each side of the front sight though after 4-5 rounds i no longer pay attention to it. may be a distraction to others.

all in all i really enjoy it but as i said, would not go to any added expense to add it.

fyi, my pistols have a thousand rounds through them in the first month i own them so "old" is not a proper adjective i would use for describing them ;)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/gun34.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/gun25.jpg

gemini1
06-29-2010, 5:52 PM
Hey Terryger, thats a nice looking pistol.

In my case however, I dont know if getting a longer barrel and having the front part ported is an option, I have looked/googled for aftermarket barrels and cannot find any that has the same design but a bit longer than the S&W 6904.

There is sometimes a cheaper alternative where you can by a ported, replacement barrel (longer than your current) so that you don't cut the slide.