PDA

View Full Version : Cheap AR trigger job without the sacrifice

Bongos
06-25-2010, 1:41 PM
I just left Riflegear and Man o man do I have some nice triggers, initially I went there to get a Geissele SSA for my LWRC (after being irratated by the LWRC trigger pull, not LWRC's fault, it's a combat trigger and it has to work in the most extreme conditions).. unfortunately, they were out of Geissele SSA triggers, I was going to mate the Geissele SSA with JP springs. It was mentioned that the Geissele come wiht their own and the JP will not help. Disappointed, I asked if they can put one of the JP springs into my lower, they said no problem. Once installed and tried, it was very close to my Chip McCormick match trigger. Though the Geissele are much better all around, the JP for my purposes will work just fine. I will get a Geissele at a later time, but for the mean time the simple swape just made my AR's better. There is a disclosure where the less tension JP springs might have a problem with hard primer military surplus ammo. I reload 223, so all of my stuff will be just fine. I ended up getting two more set ($10.99 a set) and a BCM Gunfighter charging handle. Installed the other LWRC and Spikes lower and now all three guns are good to go. Now all I need is a formula for my reloads to gruop well with the 1:7 twist barrels (no luck with 55, 60, 62, or 69...75 and 77 will be next).

Nice thing is if I ever decide to go back to the original springs, it's a easy swap!

RobGR
06-25-2010, 1:53 PM
Always an interesting question, because everyone uses something different, but what grease did you use on the JP Springs? I'm about to install my JP springs and was just going to use Lucas White Lithium, then a wipe down.

Bongos
06-25-2010, 3:38 PM
Always an interesting question, because everyone uses something different, but what grease did you use on the JP Springs? I'm about to install my JP springs and was just going to use Lucas White Lithium, then a wipe down.

I use tetra flouropolymer gun grease but any will do from what I understand

C_1
06-25-2010, 5:17 PM
I was thinking about putting some yellow JP springs in my AR FCG as well. Sounds like you like it. Only concern for me, is light/hard primer strikes, because I shoot mostly Wolf/Tula/Brown/Silver/Golden/Purple Bear/Tiger stuff. If I just use the JP trigger and disconnector springs, and not the hammer spring, do you think it will make a noticeable difference?

RobGR
06-25-2010, 6:00 PM
C_1, not sure if this helps, but from the literature that came with my JP springs:

"Do use foreign manufactured ammunition because the primers are often extremely hard and will give poor ignition with this spring kit" - JPS3.5 Trigger / Hammer Spring Set

Not sure if that is true or not, but that is what it says. Maybe just plugging domestic brands.

russ69
06-25-2010, 6:05 PM
If your 1/7 can't shoot a 69 grain, something is wrong. Take a look at the crown and push a tight patch through the bore and see if it gets easier near the muzzle. Happy hunting.

Thanx, Russ

JeffM
06-25-2010, 6:21 PM
"Do use foreign manufactured ammunition because the primers are often extremely hard and will give poor ignition with this spring kit" - JPS3.5 Trigger / Hammer Spring Set

Fail.

1911su16b870
06-25-2010, 7:05 PM
Custom triggers I own are Rock River Arms 2 Stage, Jard 1 stage, and Timney 1 stage. For ease of installation and incredible 1 stage the Timney rocks. The Jard is totally adjustable but it takes some time to make it just so. If you are used to taking up slack and then a crisp break, the RRA 2 stage is the way to go.

Bongos
06-25-2010, 9:05 PM
it was advised, if you were to use the yellow springs and plan on shooting the military ammo, either cutting the rear of your hammer or getting a speed hammer is recommended. Still a cheap alternative since the JP speed hammers are around $50 total would cost less than $70 with the springs. If you noticed JP, RRA, McCormicks, etc all have speed hammers on there +$200 trigger units