PDA

View Full Version : Revolver registration

dunndeal
06-25-2010, 1:59 PM
My friend grew up in North Carolina. In the early 60's he inherited from his grandfather a S&W Safety Hammerless 38 caliber revolver.
In 1969 he moved to CA. He never registered the gun. He's curious to know what is his legal standing and that of the gun?

M. D. Van Norman
06-25-2010, 2:02 PM
Registration was not required back then. He may do so now if he wishes, but there is no pressing need.

bwiese
06-25-2010, 2:07 PM
My friend grew up in North Carolina. In the early 60's he inherited from his grandfather a S&W Safety Hammerless 38 caliber revolver.
In 1969 he moved to CA. He never registered the gun. He's curious to know what is his legal standing and that of the gun?

He's fine...

1. There is no general requirement for handgun registration.
2. His path/timing of moving into CA put him outside any reg requirement.

There is an advantage to a registered handgun if there's any risk he could be popped
for "unpapered CCW". A non-registered handgun in this situation could readily result
in a felony charge, not misdemeanor charges being filed. Also, accidental unlocked
transport even without intending to CCW could fall in this 1202x PC category.

Many many Californians, including myself, have tons of unpapered handguns and long guns.

People moving into CA before 1998 did not have to register their handguns (nor longguns).
(There still is no "new resident" long gun registration requirement, just handguns.)

CA residents in CA (before 1991) were able to buy/sell/transfer handguns and long guns
between themselves without use of FFL or filing paperwork.

dunndeal
06-25-2010, 2:39 PM
Thank you both.

1JimMarch
06-25-2010, 2:49 PM
Yeah, basically every Cali handgun owner needs to have at least one "papered" handgun in case of an emergency in which you have to ignore the carry rules. Period.

Other than that, he's OK if he's 100% legally transporting it. He can hunt with it, he can take it to the range to shoot it, he can use it for home defense - no problem at all.

It's the illegal carry thing that's the only issue.

dunndeal
06-25-2010, 2:54 PM
[QUOTE=1JimMarch;4514820]Yeah, basically every Cali handgun owner needs to have at least one "papered" handgun in case of an emergency in which you have to ignore the carry rules. Period./QUOTE]

Excellent point. Misdemeanor v felony.