PDA

View Full Version : Remove CLI?

GunNutz
06-25-2010, 1:55 PM
Is it legal to disable a Chamber Loaded Indicator on a rim fire or centerfire pistol in CA? I did a quick search but I didn't see anything relevant.

383green
06-25-2010, 2:00 PM
Is it legal to disable a Chamber Loaded Indicator on a rim fire or centerfire pistol in CA? I did a quick search but I didn't see anything relevant.

My understanding: There is no restriction against your doing that. However, that removes the gun from its as-rostered configuration, which means that unless you replaced the CLI before selling the gun, you would be limited to private-party transfers or consignment sales if you decided to get rid of it. A dealer would not be able to sell the gun from their inventory with the CLI removed. I don't know if a dealer would be prohibited from buying the gun from you, but I don't think they would anyway since they couldn't sell it in CA.

Somebody please correct me if I've gotten this wrong!

bwiese
06-25-2010, 2:03 PM

You are allowed to modify/change a gun into any other legal configuration, replace parts on it as you care to do so, etc.

Do note that if the handgun was still a Rostered handgun, changing or disabling any of the features or even using non-OEM replacement parts for that particular model takes it out of Rostered status.

While that doesn't affect you directly for use & possession, if you wanted to sell the gun you could only sell it PPT to another Californian; a CA FFL would most likely not wanna buy a "dead gun" for inventory he could not sell to another Californian (just LEO only, or sell it outta state).

GunNutz
06-25-2010, 2:05 PM
Thanks!