PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical out of state purchase

grumpy
06-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Just curious, if a CA resident who is eligible to own firearms were to travel to another state and purchase a used long gun (12 gauge) from a private seller would there be any serious issues upon returning to CA? I don't see any true requirement that a long gun has to be registered if it is just a plain jane weapon. I don't think anyone could prove that I didn't drive out of the state with it in the first place. I understand that this would be a big deal for a handgun where registration is required.

Untamed1972
06-25-2010, 12:54 PM
CA law requires all CA residents to transact ALL firearms transfers thru a CA FFL.

hypothectically you could do it, but you'd be violating federal and state law and so would the seller if he knew you were from out of state.

Librarian
06-25-2010, 1:19 PM
Hypothetically that's a violation of Federal law.

See the Calguns Foundation Wiki article on interstate transfer (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate).

grumpy
06-25-2010, 1:36 PM
ok, I was really wanting to know if I could save some money for later. Guess I had better buy that other gun I wanted before I move to CA and just let it hurt now. :)